• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

do you think we will make some trades before the deadline?

hank pimple butt

Why not trade Steve Smith?

Okay, hear me out before you say, SAY WHAT?

Steve is 30. He is on the decline, and we've all seen that. He either doesn't care to go up for balls anymore, or else he doesn't have the physical ability to do it anymore. He also has a decent sized contract that would be nice to heave off of our already burdened shoulders.

Who would take him, you ask? With Anthony Gonzalez going down, and Marvin Harrison shooting people, the Colts are trying to find someone that can be a solid receiver. Someone that can produce week in, and week out. I think that they would give up a decent amount to go and get Smitty. Maybe even that elusive first round pick that we need to recover.

Also, there is Da Bears. Every analyst has said that the Bears really need a good receiver to help out Jay Cutler. Without that, the play action pass isn't going to work. I'm not sure what Da Bears have to give up, after what they gave away getting Jay Cutler, but I think that they would be willing to throw their hat in that ring.

why not trade steve smith?

Okay, hear me out before you say, say what?

Steve is 30. He is on the decline, and we've all seen that. He either doesn't care to go up for balls anymore, or else he doesn't have the physical ability to do it anymore. He also has a decent sized contract that would be nice to heave off of our already burdened shoulders.

Who would take him, you ask? With anthony gonzalez going down, and marvin harrison shooting people, the colts are trying to find someone that can be a solid receiver. Someone that can produce week in, and week out. I think that they would give up a decent amount to go and get smitty. Maybe even that elusive first round pick that we need to recover.

Also, there is da bears. Every analyst has said that the bears really need a good receiver to help out jay cutler. Without that, the play action pass isn't going to work. I'm not sure what da bears have to give up, after what they gave away getting jay cutler, but i think that they would be willing to throw their hat in that ring.

say what

Who would take him, you ask? With Anthony Gonzalez going down, and Marvin Harrison shooting people, the Colts are trying to find someone that can be a solid receiver. Someone that can produce week in, and week out. I think that they would give up a decent amount to go and get Smitty. Maybe even that elusive first round pick that we need to recover.

Also, there is Da Bears. Every analyst has said that the Bears really need a good receiver to help out Jay Cutler. Without that, the play action pass isn't going to work. I'm not sure what Da Bears have to give up, after what they gave away getting Jay Cutler, but I think that they would be willing to throw their hat in that ring.

No way, no how, never. Steve Smith is still a great receiver and has plenty more years left in him. Trading Steve Smith would set this team even further back than its already heading. The Panthers would then have to spend yrs and pick trying to replace him, let alone a #2 guy.

your stupid

s smith will always be panther unless he dosnt want to be

Ummm...If you are franchise player you CAN be traded. But players can "hold out" until a new deal is made if they want to. Carolina could have traded pep if they wanted when he signed, which is probably the reason he didn't sign till after the draft. :cool:

Adam Schefter

Peppers will be harder to trade than Cassel

Posted: March 2nd, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Carolina Panthers, Julius Peppers, Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Cassel, New England Patriots

Now that QB Matt Cassel has been dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs, trade speculation has shifted to another franchised player, Carolina Panthers DE Julius Peppers.

Yet the two situations are as different as the two players.

Peppers has a franchise tender and cannot be traded until he signs it, which means any trade discussions must go through his agent, Carl Carey. Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, Carolina is prohibited from discussing a deal for Peppers with another team. If the Panthers did, it immediately would bring an NFL Players Association grievance.

Cassel had a signed contract and was trade-able, just like any other player with his contract. Once he signed the franchise tender, he forfeited his rights to broker a deal. It’s why the Patriots were able to trade Cassel to the Chiefs on Saturday morning without the blessing of the quarterback and his representative.

These are minor points but points of clarity. New England was able to trade Cassel. Carolina cannot trade Peppers — not until he has signed his franchise tender, which he has not.

And it’s hard to envision finding a team that would satisfy Peppers’ wishes and the Panthers’ asking price.

Who exactly would replace him? This is a horrible idea.

Archived