• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Norwell has signed his RFA tender

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Which part are you asking about?

It's awfully tough to pay 3 DT's what they will/already do command...the same can be said OG.  We can likely pay 1, but not both...at least not what they will command.

Go look at the Kelechi Osemele contract....now neither Turner nor Norwell will get that...but they won't be far off either.

Have you seen how much cap space we gain over the next 3-5years? We still have A LOT more we have to spend

54 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Starting to wonder who will get the big deals next year. Norwell, Turner, Benjamin, Star...all in line for extensions, and probably not enough money to go around for all of them. 

Norwell has to be 1st then Turner or Star

I'm really hoping we can lock up both Norwell and Trai longterm. 

Star is fantastic at what he does but it doesn't seem like there is going to be enough money to go around to pay all of these guys. 

20 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

Why the concern? One thing I can give DG, he is Staggering the Cap hits well! Hell, not too mention that the KK deal is 20mil cheaper than the Cox deal that everyone swore wouldn't allow us to sign KK

The concern is tying up too much money at certain positions.

Star, KK, Butler.

Turner, Norwell.

Luke, Shaq, TD.

We will likely have to upgrade the CB position, the DE position, and the OT position...and none of those come cheap.

59 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

The concern is tying up too much money at certain positions.

Star, KK, Butler.

Turner, Norwell.

Luke, Shaq, TD.

We will likely have to upgrade the CB position, the DE position, and the OT position...and none of those come cheap.

Based on last year's tough decision, I don't see Gettleman overpaying

43 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Got a few things on this. First, Butler is under contract through 2020 (assuming 5th year) for a total of around $3.5M per season. He won't have a "big deal" coming until Short is likely not on the roster. Star could be franchised in 2018 to cost about $10M per season the next two years. That said, I think Star will not sign a long term deal. We won't have 3 DTs on big money deals.

Shaq is similar to Butler. With the 5th year option, he could be under contract through 2019 for a total of around $3.8M per season. TD isn't going past 2019, so we won't ever be paying 3 guys big money at LB.

Why would we have to upgrade the CB and DE positions? Personally, I think we will be drafted at least 1 CB and DE this year and that again gives us a very cheap secondary for at least the next 3-4 years.

Turner and Norwell are the only ones I worry about now since guards are much easier to groom/replace. I'd love to keep them both, but that was pre-Short signing and pre-all the big guard deals. I just think you could draft a 2nd round guard in 2018 and save a ton of money.

I'm totally with you, but I do think that we will end up spending some cash on a pass rusher at some point soon.  Star walking makes the most sense at this time, although I really don't want that to happen.

We MAY be able to keep both G's, but we will need to find a much cheaper Center if that's the case....I'm guessing we have already started looking for Kalil's replacement in a year or two.

Agree to a certain extent with the LB's...Luke is expensive, but great at his job, but I could see TD trying to play two more seasons, and that would be a pretty big number as well.

Having Cam, Luke, Olsen, and KK signed longterm does make keeping others easier, and trickier at the same time though.

42 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I'm totally with you, but I do think that we will end up spending some cash on a pass rusher at some point soon.  Star walking makes the most sense at this time, although I really don't want that to happen.

We MAY be able to keep both G's, but we will need to find a much cheaper Center if that's the case....I'm guessing we have already started looking for Kalil's replacement in a year or two.

Agree to a certain extent with the LB's...Luke is expensive, but great at his job, but I could see TD trying to play two more seasons, and that would be a pretty big number as well.

Having Cam, Luke, Olsen, and KK signed longterm does make keeping others easier, and trickier at the same time though.

Gettleman does not have it in him to go into a bidding war for a pass rusher. The top ones get franchised anyway so, we'd then be bidding against lower tier teams for a less than franchise level pass rusher. If we ever pay a pass rusher on a long term deal, it will be one from within. Same could be said about almost every other valuable position.

I think the Matt Kalil deal was the exception to the rule of not overpaying for other teams free agents, as we were in a desperate situation, plus we have escape clauses if this experiment does not end well.

TD(just turned 34) is scheduled to be a free agent after this year and would likely start taking team friendly 1-2 year deals like Charles Johnson has if he wants to keep playing. I can never see him going to another team for any reason (more money included).

Ryan Kalil is scheduled to be a free agent in 2019. He will no longer command or at least get  big money by this point either if chooses to keep playing for us. If he doesn't, we may already have his future replacement in Larsen.

I think we can keep 2 of Norwell,Star and Turner. In terms of replacing the 3, history shows its much easier to find value later in the draft with guards. Turner was a 3rd rounder and Norwell went undrafted. This is consistent with most top guards, as rarely do they go on day 1. Star would be the priority and then retaining one of the 2 guard's would be ok for next year.

Other reasons for optimism. In 2014 we carried over 26 million in dead money against the cap. We also wasted 13 million on Hardys franchise tag.

Otherwise every year since, we've rolled over excess or unused cap. In addition to this the cap keeps going up every year.

Just my thoughts and reason for optimism on keeping Star. You very well could be right, as Gettleman is damn near unpredictable in how he treats each offseason. 

But if there's one thing we know about Gettleman, he likes his DT'S. 2 first rounders and 1 2nd rounder who just got locked up long term over 4 draft's.

3 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Gettleman does not have it in him to go into a bidding war for a pass rusher. The top ones get franchised anyway so, we'd then be bidding against lower tier teams for a less than franchise level pass rusher. If we ever pay a pass rusher on a long term deal, it will be one from within. Same could be said about almost every other valuable position.

I think the Matt Kalil deal was the exception to the rule of not overpaying for other teams free agents, as we were in a desperate situation, plus we have escape clauses if this experiment does not end well.

TD(just turned 34) is scheduled to be a free agent after this year and would likely start taking team friendly 1-2 year deals like Charles Johnson has if he wants to keep playing. I can never see him going to another team for any reason (more money included).

Ryan Kalil is scheduled to be a free agent in 2019. He will no longer command or at least get  big money by this point either if chooses to keep playing for us. If he doesn't, we may already have his future replacement in Larsen.

I think we can keep 2 of Norwell,Star and Turner. In terms of replacing the 3, history shows its much easier to find value later in the draft with guards. Turner was a 3rd rounder and Norwell went undrafted. This is consistent with most top guards, as rarely do they go on day 1. Star would be the priority and then retaining one of the 2 guard's would be ok for next year.

Other reasons for optimism. In 2014 we carried over 26 million in dead money against the cap. We also wasted 13 million on Hardys franchise tag.

Otherwise every year since, we've rolled over excess or unused cap. In addition to this the cap keeps going up every year.

Just my thoughts and reason for optimism on keeping Star. You very well could be right, as Gettleman is damn near unpredictable in how he treats each offseason. 

Agree with everything except the pass rusher part...I can absolutely see DG going after a top pass rusher, but I can also see him not wanting to spend the type capitol it requires.

As to your point of keeping 2 of 3, I agree.  I would love to see us do a Steelers type offer to the G's....like they did with Wallace and Brown a number of years ago.

Archived