• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Norwell has signed his RFA tender

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Starting to wonder who will get the big deals next year. Norwell, Turner, Benjamin, Star...all in line for extensions, and probably not enough money to go around for all of them. 

Hopefully the increase in salary cap helps out little bit

Just now, mjligon said:

@pantherj are you upset over this as well

I don't get "upset" over signings. I'm a grown man. I'm not thrilled with the deal. He appears to be on the downswing of his career, and now we're all in and he needs to have a big jump in his level of play to pay off for us. But hey it's on Gettleman if Short doesn't step up. We can't have QBs sitting in the pocket with plenty of time and stepping into their throws like last season.

Kinda hard to say he's on the "downside of his career" when the whole team was crap last year. Cam had a down year, Luke had a bad injury...guess they're on the downside too. We should cut bait on everyone by that logic. I think people discount what having an awful secondary can do to a passrush as well. Opposing QBs had no reason to hold on to the ball especially first half of the season. Time will tell and you could be right...but seems like an overreaction after 1 down season when he's gotten better every other season until then. 

7 minutes ago, poorboysrev said:

Kinda hard to say he's on the "downside of his career" when the whole team was crap last year. Cam had a down year, Luke had a bad injury...guess they're on the downside too. We should cut bait on everyone by that logic. I think people discount what having an awful secondary can do to a passrush as well. Opposing QBs had no reason to hold on to the ball especially first half of the season. Time will tell and you could be right...but seems like an overreaction after 1 down season when he's gotten better every other season until then. 

There is definitely guesswork going on with the Short deal. Gettleman likes to look at every snap, and then evaluate the performance from start, middle, and finish. Was the player getting better or worse as the season moved along? Did he finish strong? That sort of thing. Looking at last season as a fan he looked worse than previous seasons. Not a good sign. But ultimately Gettleman is the expert, and it's his neck on the chopping block. He already had the Kony blooper thinking he was like Osi, and he was way off on that one. Hopefully Short bounces back. 

31 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Starting to wonder who will get the big deals next year. Norwell, Turner, Benjamin, Star...all in line for extensions, and probably not enough money to go around for all of them. 

Star will likely walk, we will try to sign both Turner and Norwell, but likely one of them will walk as well.

I think that you will see Benji play out his 5th year, then we will work through it...no reason to pay him yet.

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Star will likely walk, we will try to sign both Turner and Norwell, but likely one of them will walk as well.

I think that you will see Benji play out his 5th year, then we will work through it...no reason to pay him yet.

Why? Did we spend so long in Cap Hell that everyone just assumes we cant afford to keep our players? Those days are over at the current moment 

9 minutes ago, pantherj said:

There is definitely guesswork going on with the Short deal. Gettleman likes to look at every snap, and then evaluate the performance from start, middle, and finish. Was the player getting better or worse as the season moved along? Did he finish strong? That sort of thing. Looking at last season as a fan he looked worse than previous seasons. Not a good sign. But ultimately Gettleman is the expert, and it's his neck on the chopping block. He already had the Kony blooper thinking he was like Osi, and he was way off on that one. Hopefully Short bounces back. 

Last year was still his second best "statistical" season. 50+ tackles identical to the Super Bowl run(about 20 more than each of his first 2 seasons). Only real difference was 6 sacks as opposed to 11 in the SB run. Which was still at least double what he had his first 2 years. We moved him outside more last year trying to get some kind of passrush, and the secondary was god awful. His 11 sacks came with Norman and company back there. They work together(QB holds the ball a second or 2 longer and he's easier to sack) I definitely hope he steps back up to 2015 levels of being disruptive also, so not at all like I'm saying he was as dominant. To me last year the whole team was in a season long mental funk from the SB loss then the Norman saga and Cam and Luke getting injured so it's hard for me to single out one player and say he still should have shined even though the whole team was butt. 

7 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

Why? Did we spend so long in Cap Hell that everyone just assumes we cant afford to keep our players? Those days are over at the current moment 

Which part are you asking about?

It's awfully tough to pay 3 DT's what they will/already do command...the same can be said OG.  We can likely pay 1, but not both...at least not what they will command.

Go look at the Kelechi Osemele contract....now neither Turner nor Norwell will get that...but they won't be far off either.

Archived