• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian McCaffrey declined all private workout requests..

Jeremy Igo

When's the last time two RB's were picked in the top 10? I want to say 2005, and if I recall, NONE of them were worth their pick. And we want to repeat that when this is arguably the deepest RB draft? Please God no. McCaffery's stock has risen from late 1st/early 2nd to top 8 draft pick. Dude is becoming vastly ovverated the past month. I do not want a utility player for our #8 pick. So for me, it's either Fournette or bust. If he doesn't make it to our pick, trade down or take Howard/BPA (which is not McCaffery).

6 hours ago, Woodie said:

Get used to it.  There's really no point to private workouts.  It's been discussed many times on various draft sites, shows, etc. (mainly after the Jones and Moreau injuries).  Teams have already seen everything the kid has to offer, both athletically and skillwise, from game tape, the combine, and pro day.  So private workouts rarely have any effect on where a player is taken.  However, if the rules allow it, teams will try to do it.  But with some big time players being seriously injured in workouts, agents will start trying to limit the number of workouts their client does. 

The exceptions to this will be for players that were injured for the combine and pro day, or players that did not perform as well as expected in the pre-draft process and teams want to get a closer look at them.

That makes too much sense to be true.

6 hours ago, Castavar said:

When's the last time two RB's were picked in the top 10? I want to say 2005, and if I recall, NONE of them were worth their pick. And we want to repeat that when this is arguably the deepest RB draft? Please God no. McCaffery's stock has risen from late 1st/early 2nd to top 8 draft pick. Dude is becoming vastly ovverated the past month. I do not want a utility player for our #8 pick. So for me, it's either Fournette or bust. If he doesn't make it to our pick, trade down or take Howard/BPA (which is not McCaffery).

Orly

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Vagrant said:

nothing new here. between not playing in his bowl game and doing everything possible to hide from scouts during this process, it's surprising he's still being considered so highly. it makes me curious about his medical status. 

LOL...he's declining meaningless private workouts after he's shown he can play RB and WR at the next level. This is silly. 

6 hours ago, Castavar said:

That is a really good point about RBs.  RBs are very system dependant.  Like a Rookie RB with a poo OL is going to have a poor season.  Look at what happened to Todd Gurly last season.  Zeke Elliot had that wonderful Dallas line to run behind, which is why he was able to be successful.

Looking at us:  We have a line with some real questions.  Are our tackles better than they were last year?  We hope.  How much gas does Kalil have in the tank?  How will our offense evolve and adapt to a new reality with Cam and his health?

I think we have to think about how will a guy like Fournette or McCaffrey change and help what we do?  Fournette is a battering ram, but he's had some injuries.  What happens when he gets dinged up and can't be a 25+ carry a game guy?  McCaffrey is a multi-position player.  I think he's matchup nightmare in the backfield and as a WR who can win in the Special Teams game.  I think his rise has to do with how well he fits the 21st century NFL game.  If he went to a place with a proven QB and offensive coordinator, he'd be a nightmare, and he could be that piece that helps you get over the hump.

Right now, I'm thinking we can grab an elite level defensive player at 8.  That would be very helpful, and there's still plenty of good quality players who can fill out our roster down through the draft.

10 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Not a big deal to me personally, but if he actually believes he could injure himself in a private workout then that's a red flag for me. He'll just injure himself in training camp and maybe die during a real game 

So you don't believe an athlete could injure himself in a private workout?

Do you need to be provided evidence for you to believe?

(P.S. There's a huge difference between injuring yourself after being drafted/signed (paid) and injuring yourself prior to being drafted/signed (NOT paid).  The fact that you "believe" that there's any equivalency at all in those two scenarios just means your "belief" is un-serious and silly.)

Archived