• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the Carolina Panthers trade up (or down) for Christian McCaffrey?

Jeremy Igo

Just going off last season not counting targets just actual receptions and rushes Tolbert/Fozzy/Philly had 154 touches on the year. If you give those to McCaffery and add in punt/kick returns he would easily get 15 touches a game. Now does that make him worth 8 overall? No idea but it isn't completely ridiculous to think he would get plenty of opportunities. I mean outside KB, Olsen and Stewart we have fug all on offense(skill position wise).

Also for the record Philly had just 27 catches on over 50 targets, I would like to believe McCaffrey would have a better target to reception conversion rate than that.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 minute ago, Manos said:

Just going off last season not counting targets just actual receptions and rushes Tolbert/Fozzy/Philly had 154 touches on the year. If you give those to McCaffery and add in punt/kick returns he would easily get 15 touches a game. Now does that make him worth 8 overall? No idea but it isn't completely ridiculous to think he would get plenty of opportunities. I mean outside KB, Olsen and Stewart we have fug all on offense(skill position wise).

Also for the record Philly had just 27 catches on over 50 targets, I would like to believe McCaffrey would have a better target to reception conversion rate than that.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

So you honestly think he replaces all three??

You don't think Byrd or Shepard will get a shot?? 

And again we still have to draft another RB to backup stew even if you draft Cmac..

If we had the pats OC then i can see drafting Cmac in the middle of the 1st round.. Even thoe i don't think the pats would spend that high of a pick on a Cmac..

But we don't.. And i don't have any faith on Shula to find ways to get Cmac the ball that would make him a worthy of a 1st round let alone a top 10 pick...

I would rather have Howard and then Perine later on for our offensive scheme. I just like power backs and power running games. Watching the life leave the eyes of our opponents as the game goes on makes me a happy dude. I miss having a real FB but that's just fantasy at this point. I'm just a fan, it's what I like to watch. 

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I would rather have Howard and then Perine later on for our offensive scheme. I just like power backs and power running games. Watching the life leave the eyes of our opponents as the game goes on makes me a happy dude. I miss having a real FB but that's just fantasy at this point. I'm just a fan, it's what I like to watch. 

Give me a TE, slot WR and a RB with a healthy Oline .. And we will be just fine.. That will Shula proof the Offense..

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

Cam needs weapons.  He needs dangerous weapons to distract the defense and take some of the pressure off of HIM.

I differ with lots of people on how we can take that pressure off of him.  Building the OL is obviously one of the ways, but there is no OT worth the #8 pick IMO (maybe there is in DG's opinion, I'll support him if he picks an OT there).

The other way is to make the offense more dangerous and UNpredictable.

Lots of people want Fournette and want to run the ball 40 times per game and pass it 20 times per game.  In today's NFL, with the way the rules have been set up to the advantage of receivers, QBs, and the passing game, I think the retro-dinosaur method of "pounding the ball" is the exact OPPOSITE of what we should be doing and is a recipe for future mediocrity or worse.

So, yeah, you still need to be effective running the ball in the NFL, but you need to be multiple and dangerous throwing the ball above all.

Fournette takes us backwards.

A player like McCaffrey, Howard, the TE from Miami, the multi-tool WR kid from Ohio State (sorry, I'm bad at remembering names), a dependable deep-threat WR?  Those players take us FORWARD, into the 21st Century NFL instead of backward into the 1960's and 1970's.

All of my comments are based on that simple philosophy.

Leaving all of this quote because it bears repeating.

If we are going to draft Fournette at 8 we better maximize his impact.  To do that, you have to shift the offense in a manner that necessarily limits the impact Cam has on the game.

For my money, give me OJ Howard and a mid-round back and run 12 personnel 70% of the time.  Force opposing defenses into base personnel and let's see if their linebackers can both hold up against the run and cover Greg Olsen and Howard.

Our offense would be so much less predictable based upon personnel sets and pre-snap looks - which was a key issue the offense faced last year.

25 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

So again what maked ppl so confident he can do it for Cmac..

I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on that and finding out later that What we already know.. Shula can't find away to give him the ball enough to make him effective..

You have a body of absolute evidence that Shula won't adapt.  On that we absolutely agree.

But we have to hope that things change outside of the same predictable BS on offense, don't we?  And to change it, the type of player also needs to change IMO (which goes back to my "philosophy" that you derided).

If we keep doing the same ol' thing, pound and pound and pound and pound with the run game and OH LOOK! throw deep!  then we'll keep getting the same ol' results.

So we disagree that Tolbert and Fozzy are "mismatch makers".  I don't think they are at least since they've been with the Panthers.  And I think their results prove that.

And we disagree that McCaffrey *is*.  I think the kid has the speed (4.48) and size (200+ lbs) to create mismatches with his ability in the open field, either in the slot or running/receiving it out of the backfield.  

Its OK that we disagree.  All will be resolved in April.  :P

im not sold on mccaffrey but he does solve two problems with one pick. from what ive read hes a second round pick if you only play him as a wide receiver. 

if thats true, taking him in the first may be worth it given the rb security he adds as well.

I share the same thinking about McCafferty, plus I'll add what I've heard over the last month. 

I know a couple of trusted "draft experts" said without any doubt, he was be a first round pick. 100% sure.

Two teams - saints and broncos. Saints being the earliest and in no way does he pass broncos.. Elway knows the kid best, he's still friends with the dad and knows all of his history at Stanford.

Insert all white-washing terms here. Dave always talks of fit, it seems this kid would be the Luke of offense. Keeps a low profile, live in weight and film rooms.

Archived