• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the Carolina Panthers trade up (or down) for Christian McCaffrey?

Jeremy Igo

I can definitely see this happening. The team seems to be really interested in picking him up. I've seen him go has high as 14-16 in more recent mocks so i dont think you could trade down a bunch of spots for him or use the 2nds to trade up for him. I dont think he last pas pick 20. 

So if they really want him it will likely come down to a factor of offers available at 8 to move back and if one of the four top players are still available. 

50 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

In the pats or a payton type offense he would be around 40 to 45 rec. Tolbert was a mismatch waiting to be used.. All these touches you think Maccaferey could get could have been going to Tolbert and Fozzy.. Combine did they even avg. 12 to 15 touches a game??

Cam needs weapons.  He needs dangerous weapons to distract the defense and take some of the pressure off of HIM.

I differ with lots of people on how we can take that pressure off of him.  Building the OL is obviously one of the ways, but there is no OT worth the #8 pick IMO (maybe there is in DG's opinion, I'll support him if he picks an OT there).

The other way is to make the offense more dangerous and UNpredictable.

Lots of people want Fournette and want to run the ball 40 times per game and pass it 20 times per game.  In today's NFL, with the way the rules have been set up to the advantage of receivers, QBs, and the passing game, I think the retro-dinosaur method of "pounding the ball" is the exact OPPOSITE of what we should be doing and is a recipe for future mediocrity or worse.

So, yeah, you still need to be effective running the ball in the NFL, but you need to be multiple and dangerous throwing the ball above all.

Fournette takes us backwards.

A player like McCaffrey, Howard, the TE from Miami, the multi-tool WR kid from Ohio State (sorry, I'm bad at remembering names), a dependable deep-threat WR?  Those players take us FORWARD, into the 21st Century NFL instead of backward into the 1960's and 1970's.

All of my comments are based on that simple philosophy.

20 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Cam needs weapons.  He needs dangerous weapons to distract the defense and take some of the pressure off of HIM.

I differ with lots of people on how we can take that pressure off of him.  Building the OL is obviously one of the ways, but there is no OT worth the #8 pick IMO (maybe there is in DG's opinion, I'll support him if he picks an OT there).

The other way is to make the offense more dangerous and UNpredictable.

Lots of people want Fournette and want to run the ball 40 times per game and pass it 20 times per game.  In today's NFL, with the way the rules have been set up to the advantage of receivers, QBs, and the passing game, I think the retro-dinosaur method of "pounding the ball" is the exact OPPOSITE of what we should be doing and is a recipe for future mediocrity or worse.

So, yeah, you still need to be effective running the ball in the NFL, but you need to be multiple and dangerous throwing the ball above all.

Fournette takes us backwards.

A player like McCaffrey, Howard, the TE from Miami, the multi-tool WR kid from Ohio State (sorry, I'm bad at remembering names), a dependable deep-threat WR?  Those players take us FORWARD, into the 21st Century NFL instead of backward into the 1960's and 1970's.

All of my comments are based on that simple philosophy.

Don't give me the missionary statement.. I asked a question.. Did Tolbert or Fozzy combine avg. 12 to 15 touches a game??

If they didn't combine how is one player getting those touches. 

We can add weapons with a new TE, RB, and slot WR in this draft.. We have the picks to do that as well..

We don't have to draft one player to kill himself doing all the jobs you ppl think he can do..

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Don't give me the missionary statement.. I asked a question.. Did Tolbert or Fozzy combine avg. 12 to 15 touches a game..

We can add weapons with a new TE, RB, and slot WR this draft..

In 2013, as a part-time player, Tolbert averaged 8 touches per game.

Fat, slow, unathletic Tolbert averaged 8.

I think a top talent like McCaffrey would likely do much better.

But the most important thing to me is that you somehow see McCaffrey = Tolbert/Fozzy.

Utterly and totally different players and different skill-sets.

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

In 2013, as a part-time player, Tolbert averaged 8 touches per game.

Fat, slow, unathletic Tolbert averaged 8.

I think a top talent like McCaffrey would likely do much better.

But the most important thing to me is that you somehow see McCaffrey = Tolbert/Fozzy.

Utterly and totally different players and different skill-sets.

So no..... thank you..

4 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

So context... not important to you.

"Mike Tolbert never got more than 8 touches a game, ergo Christian McCaffrey will max out at that number" is just silly.

No dummy.. I asked did 2 players who could be use as mismatch makers in this offense get these magical 12 to 15 touches you ppl think Shula can come up with for CMac..

You just showed me Tolbert /Fozzy never avg. 12 to 15 touches a game..

No context needed..

I don't care to hear how fat a player was and this, that, blaming the players for Shula not being able to game plan ..

Tell that to somebody else..

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

No dummy.. I asked did 2 players who could be use as mismatch makers in this offense get these magical 12 to 15 touches you ppl think Shula can come up with for CMac..

You just showed me Tolbert /Fozzy never avg. 12 to 15 touches a game..

No context needed..

I don't care to hear how fat a player was and this, that, blaming the players for Shula not being able to game plan ..

Tell that to somebody else..

Your question is based upon a faulty premise however... that Tolbert and Fozzie are some kind of "mismatch makers".

All you have to do is look at their careers to know that's not true.

Your faulty premise brings your entire point down.

And don't get all pissy, young'un, we're just having a debate.

So much is going to depend on how the 8th pick goes down:

Solomon is automatic if he falls to us. In this scenario I think Gettleman moves up to draft McCaf and/or Njoku.

If it's Fournette forget McCaffrey. All effort will be towards somehow getting Howard or Njoku next.

Howard then McCaffrey is the most realistic and what I hope the gameplan is for the night. Howard's the wild card here since he could go anywhere from top ten to late first round. Trading up or down are both possible here depending on OJ's stock on draft night.

Gonna be REAL interesting if Fournette and Howard are both there at 8.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Meh not for trading back and trying to get a player, chances are they may get picked before you and then what? Now trading back and targeting a few players(Ross, Christian, Oj,Bolles,ect) I'm down with but there's a big chances a great player falls to 8.
Rather take the risk in trading back up then trading back.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

5 hours ago, stirs said:

McCaffery is a good talent, but don't think he fits our offense.

He looks more like a Saint, Packer, Patriot kinda guy as far as the kind of offense that could take advantage of his skills

I agree. Besides, Dalvin Cook is a better football player. The media is hyping McCaffrey due to his excellent combine workout and the fact that he's white.

4 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Your question is based upon a faulty premise however... that Tolbert and Fozzie are some kind of "mismatch makers".

All you have to do is look at their careers to know that's not true.

Your faulty premise brings your entire point down.

And don't get all pissy, young'un, we're just having a debate.

Then why are they or were they Here??

Fozzy by defintion is this teams Scat back.. He is suppose to be this team James White of the Pats.. 

And Tolbert last year in San Diego he has 121 carries and 54 rec. So other teams used him in that capacity.. Most teams can't even plan to deal with a FB who can run like a RB and run routes out the backfield so yes he was a mismatch player and that's why he was here..

So you can act like they aren't but that's why both were here and that's what they were paid for..

Shula couldn't figure out a way like others have to give them even together 12 to 15 touches a game..

So again what maked ppl so confident he can do it for Cmac..

I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on that and finding out later that What we already know.. Shula can't find away to give him the ball enough to make him effective..

Archived