• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the Carolina Panthers trade up (or down) for Christian McCaffrey?

Jeremy Igo

44 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

But, in rebuttal to that, I think you have to understand that David Gettleman, as a GM and as a scout, *has* to have confidence in his scouting and talent evaluation abilities.  Not only that, he directly employs a horde of scouts under him that he is responsible for and has to have confidence in.

Yes, a draft pick may not work out.  But I don't think you can go into a draft (or a free agency period) with an attitude of "uh oh... what if?"  

If you're not confident in what you're doing, there's a high likelihood that you're failing.

I don't think that runs contrary to my point.  He should absolutely have confidence in his evaluations.

It's his valuations - of picks, of opportunity costs - that I take issue with.  He has never traded down.  Are you telling me at no point in his tenure as GM has there been a time when it made sense to acquire more picks?

If, for example, we have six guys with the exact same grade when we are on the clock with the 8th pick - why not trade down and grab an extra pick or two?  On the other hand, if one guy is head and shoulders above everyone else, then you don't even think about trading down.

My confidence in Gettleman, the scout, is why I want him to have MORE draft picks.  More shots on goal to find all stars or more ammo to trade up to draft a guy who is a great fit and who the rest of the NFL is undervaluing.  

I think sometimes Gettleman, the GM, misplays his hand (by never trading down) and that limits the effectiveness of Gettleman, the scout.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I am not a Shula guy, but how do you suggest Cam has been hamstrung by the talent around him on one hand, and then say that Shula hasn't? I want to hear this @WOW!!.

Because i've seen Cam carry these offense bad playcalling and all..

How many time did you see Cam convert a 3rd and long by himself and not from a great shula play call..

How many times has he done that??

4 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

My confidence in Gettleman, the scout, is why I want him to have MORE draft picks.

Absolutely understood.

4 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

If, for example, we have six guys with the exact same grade

And this is where we differ.

As much as scouting is an inexact science, I highly doubt that any player on DG's draft board has the "exact same grade".

11 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Both.

Tolbert had 27 receptions in Chud's final year and he had 27 receptions (and way more rushes) in Shula's first year.

After that, everything seemed to fall off of a cliff.

In the pats or a payton type offense he would be around 40 to 45 rec. Tolbert was a mismatch waiting to be used.. All these touches you think Maccaferey could get could have been going to Tolbert and Fozzy.. Combine did they even avg. 12 to 15 touches a game??

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

As much as scouting is an inexact science, I highly doubt that any player on DG's draft board has the "exact same grade".

Good point.  I'm sure there is much more granularity than they are ever going to admit publicly.  Saying he had a "first round grade" on Ealy doesn't mean he had the same grade on Ealy as he did on Benjamin.

Maybe I'd sum up my take on DG's draft philosophy like this:  

I think Gettleman is programmed by default to take the "best grade available" whenever a pick comes up, no matter what.  That grade is fairly granular and factors in need to a certain extent.  A player might be the "best grade" by just a fraction, but that's still the best and he's still the pick.

At times, there might be a cluster of grades that are very close in value on the vertical board - but I don't think Dave is going to give much consideration to trading down, no matter how many "similar" grades are still on the board, because of his "dollar over three quarters" mindset.  Which means we sometimes miss out on "one dollar vs. ninety cents and a fifty cent piece" trades.

That's the mindset I personally disagree with.  But hey, I'm not the GM.

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Because i've seen Cam carry these offense bad playcalling and all..

How many time did you see Cam convert a 3rd and long by himself and not from a great shula play call..

How many times has he done that??

I like Cam, and I have supported him many many times over the years, but just like there are good plays, there are not so good plays. No need to play that game. Cam isn't a panacea for everything that's wrong with a team on offense. He has his issues. He will have to step up his game, just like Shula, Rivera and Gettleman.

16 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I like Cam, and I have supported him many many times over the years, but just like there are good plays, there are not so good plays. No need to play that game. Cam isn't a panacea for everything that's wrong with a team on offense. He has his issues. He will have to step up his game, just like Shula, Rivera and Gettleman.

Again you asked me a question i answered it..

I'Ve seen more bad play calls than bad play from Cam..

Archived