• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the Carolina Panthers trade up (or down) for Christian McCaffrey?

Jeremy Igo

Just a question to the ppl who think "if you draft him Shula will work" making it more a he doesn't have the players to be imagintive. 

What was Tolbert than??

For years he had a FB who could run like a rb and catch at the backfield.. All these touches You think Mccafferey could get.. Could have gone to Tolbert.. All the mismatches he could have developed with Tolbert he never did.. Where were the smoke screens where you have Tolbert lined up with KB and Funch infront of him waiting to block and him only having to beat a smaller DB or slower LB?? Why not more wheel routes to Tolbert and Fozzy?? Why not more plays with Fozzy and Stew lined up in the backfield and flanking out. 

If we do draft Mccaferey wouldn't we have to draft Stew replacement next year also.. Because CMac isn't a Stew replacement.. Hell we might have to draft another RB this year because we still wouldn't have a RB who could take Stew's work load if he does get hurt..

Now, as I was trying to say, as much as I suspect Shula of being the football version of Strom Thurmond, you have to give the man some new toys at some point to see what he can do with them.  Say what you want about McCaffrey, he's a helluva football player, as was his father. 

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Now, as I was trying to say, as much as I suspect Shula of being the football version of Strom Thurmond, you have to give the man some new toys at some point to see what he can do with them.  Say what you want about McCaffrey, he's a helluva football player, as was his father. 

But again hasn't he had "Toys" he couldn't figure out a way to use..

Just a question to the ppl who think "if you draft him Shula will work" making it more a he doesn't have the players to be imagintive. 
What was Tolbert than??
For years he had a FB who could run like a rb and catch at the backfield.. All these touches You think Mccafferey could get.. Could have gone to Tolbert.. All the mismatches he could have developed with Tolbert he never did.. Where were the smoke screens where you have Tolbert lined up with KB and Funch infront of him waiting to block and him only having to beat a smaller DB or slower LB?? Why not more wheel routes to Tolbert and Fozzy?? Why not more plays with Fozzy and Stew lined up in the backfield and flanking out. 

When Tolbert first got here he got used a lot, but then he got fatter and started fumbling his role decreased. And you wouldn't be drafting McCaffrey to just take over for Tolbert, you'd be drafting him to replace Tolbert, Philly, Ginn and Fozzy. Obviously he wouldn't give you everything those guys did but he could cover a lot of that production if used properly.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Just now, Manos said:

When Tolbert first got here he got used a lot, but then he got fatter and started fumbling his role decreased. And you wouldn't be drafting McCaffrey to just take over for Tolbert, you'd be drafting him to replace Tolbert, Philly, Ginn and Fozzy. Obviously he wouldn't give you everything those guys did but he could cover a lot of that production if used properly.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

He's not replacing Ginn.. He isn't fast enough to be that kind of deep threat..

Brown didn't get enough targets to be replace.. I can't name how many times he was actually used as a slot WR..

Of course he can't replace Tolbert because he was a Full back..

His main reason to draft him is to be a better Fozzy (which they just gave a 2 year contract to) and maybe use him more than they do Fozzy.. But again that all depends on Shula.. smh

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Insufficient guns...

Kind of like the gun Snoop used on Ronald Klump.

I'm willing to bet you give Andy Reid, Bruce Arians, Sean Payton and Greg Roman these sets of wespons and Cam.. They would build top 5 offense every year..

I've been banging this drum for awhile but if the top 7 prospects are gone by our pick (garrett, thomas, adams, fournette, howard, hooker, allen) .... a trade down makes a lot of sense. 

Even if we overdraft McAffrey at pick 15ish, picking up an extra second will allow us to do the following

1- Mcaffrey RB

2 (1)- DE

2 (2)- SS

2 (3)- WR (route runner or speedster)

We immediately fill a ton of needs on our roster, you could also envision a scenario where we package two of those 2nds to trade back into the first. 

Just now, SOJA said:

I've been banging this drum for awhile but if the top 7 prospects are gone by our pick (garrett, thomas, adams, fournette, howard, hooker, allen) .... a trade down makes a lot of sense. 

Even if we overdraft McAffrey at pick 15ish, picking up an extra second will allow us to do the following

1- Mcaffrey RB

2 (1)- DE

2 (2)- SS

2 (3)- WR (route runner or speedster)

We immediately fill a ton of needs on our roster, you could also envision a scenario where we package two of those 2nds to trade back into the first. 

We would still need to draft another RB as well right..

Archived