• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the Carolina Panthers trade up (or down) for Christian McCaffrey?

Jeremy Igo

That was a lot of brass on that plane to Stanford so obviously they're interested. 

A mid to late first round team may want to turn that pick into 2 second rounders. 

If they are targeting players that obviously fill needs why not get the ones you want in one of the most talented drafts in years?

OJ Howard is moving up draft boards so they're looking at Njoku who himself may be a late first rounder.

Getting two picks in the first ain't a bad thing. Nothing wrong with trading up if you have the assets, and we do. You still have the chance to get an elite RB/TE combo even with guys getting snatched before 8.

Getting two more scorers for Cam moving forward is paramount to lengthening his career and chances for success. Adding a stud RB and TE will do just that. It's important to keep the 100mill guy happy and healthy.

3 hours ago, PantherPhann89 said:

The biggest thing that concerns me abot McCaffrey is his lack of strength. I think he about 10 reps of 225 lbs, that doesnt lead to a lot of breaking tackles or stiff arms to get extra yardage...

You don't need to stiff arm a player that's about 225 ten times to get him down. Also who needs to stiff arm anyone when you can break their ankles with simple moves?  

Think outside the box people. 

I honestly could see us taking McCaffrey at 8, alot of people will be pissed but it might not be the worst thing ever. He is basically Percy Harvin/Julian Edleman/Wes Welker/Darren Sproles all sort of rolled into one. I'd personally rather have Fournette or Garret(pipe dream) but I don't see either one making it to 8.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

33 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Better question is he willing to  trade Devin Funchess? 

@E CaT PanTHer 2

@CRA

@Cracka McNasty

@Hoenheim

@KB_fan

@Krovvy

@Kindawack

Dude, how many times does it have to be said before people just internalize the fact that Funchess has no practical trade value?  If we could get a sixth or seventh for him, then we've lost on that deal because he means more to us as a potential receiver in his third year---normally the breakout year---than some Joe Schmo who is likely cut.

Im just curious to how he'd fit. Is this going to force Shula to change up. The Mike Shula that has been running the Panthers since he's been here, McCaffrey is a far from fit.

In Shulas offense.... We've been at the bottom if Not dead Last in RB targets in the passing game, RBs out running routes vs back blocking.

In Shulas offense..... The RBs running outside is about as rare as watching Belichick run Brady in a read option

In Shulas offense....... The RBs are the power running hammer running between the tckles, controling the clock, etc.

The only thing that McCaffrey fits in Shulas Offense is the read option (which still most of the time the RBs carry it betweent the tackles).......But Rivera has stated multiple times that he wants to phase out of that, that Newton needs to carry the ball less minimizing the hits he takes.

McCaffrey is a great talent. But unless theres going to be a whole new sceme of thjng added to the playbook, its a waste. Would be like a Young Peyton Manning thrown into Georgia Techs triple option offense

That would take a OC with some imagination other than sweeps and toss plays..
We don't have that..

Shula actually does a lot of tricky and unique things, he just usually uses the wrong players when he does it. Just think about all the weird triple option looks with Philly moving into the backfield as one example. If we get McCaffrey I would like to believe Shula would use him for all the gadget stuff he likes to run when he is trying to "outsmart" the opposing defense. The great thing about McCaffrey is his versatile skill set should allow him to succeed in almost any skill role on the offense.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Thing is, he's the RB that fits what we've done on offense the most.

I don't like Fournette on this offense just trying to identify where Cam's strengths are. McCaffery fits the bill.

Fournette:  Great running back.  Makes the predictable Shula offense even MORE predictable.

McCaffrey:  Great multi-tool player.  Takes the predictable Shula offense to a new dimension.

4 minutes ago, Manos said:

Shula actually does a lot of tricky and unique things, he just usually uses the wrong players when he does it. Just think about all the weird triple option looks with Philly moving into the backfield as one example. If we get McCaffrey I would like to believe Shula would use him for all the gadget stuff he likes to run when he is trying to "outsmart" the opposing defense. The great thing about McCaffrey is his versatile skill set should allow him to succeed in almost any skill role on the offense.

Shula busy trying to outsmart an NFL defense

It+s+hard+to+tell+who+the+real+idiot+in+

3 minutes ago, Manos said:

Tried of the gadgets just get back to running ppl over and developing a short passing games with quicker developing routes and 3 step drops.. Get Cam under center and actually take advantage of mismatch.. Something Shula hasn't shown the ability to do his whole coaching career..

1 hour ago, uscgamecocks said:

I hate this DG analogy so much.  It only makes sense in the context of an efficient market where teams are rational, have perfect information, and scouts are always right about players.  But we have ample evidence that is not the case.  Sometimes, talented players just don't work out.  Injuries derail careers.  Teams make oddball picks.  Sometimes, you are just wrong about a player (see Ealy, Kony).

I like him a lot, but DG's habit of always trading up / never trading down may ultimately be his downfall in CAR.  It results in a lack of depth across the roster and it makes your roster very vulnerable to i) injuries (see 2015 vs. 2016) and ii) missing on evals.  If we missed on Funchess (jury still out), that hurts - but missing on Funchess when you traded multiple picks to get him compounds the issue.

Trading up and trading down are both valid strategies - but I'd suggest balancing the two strategies would improve your chances of long-term success.

But, in rebuttal to that, I think you have to understand that David Gettleman, as a GM and as a scout, *has* to have confidence in his scouting and talent evaluation abilities.  Not only that, he directly employs a horde of scouts under him that he is responsible for and has to have confidence in.

Yes, a draft pick may not work out.  But I don't think you can go into a draft (or a free agency period) with an attitude of "uh oh... what if?"  

If you're not confident in what you're doing, there's a high likelihood that you're failing.

3 hours ago, Salisburysean98 said:

But that's why we have Stewart. McCaffrey Is just a multi tool that we can utilize in the passing game. It's a bonus, he has all season to bulk up and gain strength with his awesome cast of NFL trainers that'll make sure that 10 rep bench will turn into a 20 rep bench by the end of the season. 

Thats a good point. I was looking for someone that would be more Stewart like now and build from there...

Archived