• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the Carolina Panthers trade up (or down) for Christian McCaffrey?

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, csx said:

He's not going to get 10-15 carrys a game and 5-7 receptions a game. That would be an absurd number of touches. That'd like combining our starting running back with our top receiver. He's not getting 100 receptions Ina season.

Then return all the kicks. Are you trying to kill him in one season?

McCaffrey got 23 carries per game and 3.5 receptions per game in college.

Stewart had just under 20 combined rushes/receptions per game in 2015.

I think you're right that my numbers were a little high - have to account for fewer plays/game in the NFL and increased physicality of the NFL game.

My thinking is he will average ~15 touches / game in the NFL.  In the NFL, that is likely to be weighted a little heavier towards receptions than rushes vs. his college experience, given his size and athletic profile.

So maybe 10-12 carries a game, 3-5 receptions per game?  Maybe you only throw him out there on punt returns and let other backs/WRs handle KO duties.

Either way, I think he will get more than enough usage - with the Panthers or with another team - to justify being a mid-first pick.

The Panthers barely used their first round picks the last two seasons.

7 minutes ago, Lasus83. said:

DG: you don't trade a dollar for 3 quarters...

Or something like that

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I hate this DG analogy so much.  It only makes sense in the context of an efficient market where teams are rational, have perfect information, and scouts are always right about players.  But we have ample evidence that is not the case.  Sometimes, talented players just don't work out.  Injuries derail careers.  Teams make oddball picks.  Sometimes, you are just wrong about a player (see Ealy, Kony).

I like him a lot, but DG's habit of always trading up / never trading down may ultimately be his downfall in CAR.  It results in a lack of depth across the roster and it makes your roster very vulnerable to i) injuries (see 2015 vs. 2016) and ii) missing on evals.  If we missed on Funchess (jury still out), that hurts - but missing on Funchess when you traded multiple picks to get him compounds the issue.

Trading up and trading down are both valid strategies - but I'd suggest balancing the two strategies would improve your chances of long-term success.

All we have to do is trade down and then trade up to justify picking McCaffrey lol. This is a fun senario where we trade down with the colts once (for their 1st 2nd + 3rd holy fug) to pick McCaffrey and trade up witht he Chiefs (trade all our 2nd round picks) to select OJ. Got some speed at WR with Ford and Cannon, a SS of the future in Evans.. Yes its mostly offense so thus its very unrealistic, its just me having some fun on a saturday morning chill.

Round 1 Pick 15 (IND): Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (B)
Round 1 Pick 27 (K.C.): O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 16 (IND): Isaiah Ford, WR, Virginia Tech (A+)
Round 3 Pick 34 (COMP): Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M (B+)
Round 4 Pick 8: Kyle Fuller, C, Baylor (B+)
Round 5 Pick 8: Corn Elder, CB, Miami (Fla.) (A)
Round 6 Pick 8: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (C+)
Round 7 Pick 15: KD Cannon, WR, Baylor (B-)

I suspect hes going to go higher than many think so if we don't take him at 8 we probably aren't gonna get him.  Don't think trading back into late first rounds going to cut it to snag him.  Maybe trading back to 12 would do it but I wouldn't go back any further if he was the target.

I hate this DG analogy so much.  It only makes sense in the context of an efficient market where teams are rational, have perfect information, and scouts are always right about players.  But we have ample evidence that is not the case.  Sometimes, talented players just don't work out.  Injuries derail careers.  Teams make oddball picks.  Sometimes, you are just wrong about a player (see Ealy, Kony).
I like him a lot, but DG's habit of always trading up / never trading down may ultimately be his downfall in CAR.  It results in a lack of depth across the roster and it makes your roster very vulnerable to i) injuries (see 2015 vs. 2016) and ii) missing on evals.  If we missed on Funchess (jury still out), that hurts - but missing on Funchess when you traded multiple picks to get him compounds the issue.
Trading up and trading down are both valid strategies - but I'd suggest balancing the two strategies would improve your chances of long-term success.

Fair point and true enough. To your point, Seattle and New England are tradedown machines...

I was pointing out what the evidence suggests we WILL do... Not what we SHOULD do.

Just now, Lasus83. said:

Fair point and true enough. To your point, Seattle and New England are tradedown machines...

I was pointing out what the evidence suggests we WILL do... Not what we SHOULD do.

That you brought it up is 100% valid, because that's who DG is.  I don't have to like it, but I agree with you that - until we see differently - that's exactly how he's going to treat the draft.

This kid is going to go early.  No he's not a power runner, but he is quick and brings a hell of a lot more to the table than just being a RB.  He has great hands, runs great routes and is quick.  Put him on the field and the defense has no idea how he's going to be used.

I'd turn him into a Julian Edelman type player that also can line up behind Cam.  We could REALLY mess with the heads of the defensive coordinators with him, and take a lot of pressure of Cam.  He would be the go-to safety valve for Cam is he feels pressure.

I love this kid.  I'm not saying take him with out first pick, but if he's there for our second (which I highly doubt)... grab him.

1 minute ago, Steve_Smith_Sr. said:

This kid is going to go early.  No he's not a power runner, but he is quick and brings a hell of a lot more to the table than just being a RB.  He has great hands, runs great routes and is quick.  Put him on the field and the defense has no idea how he's going to be used.

I'd turn him into a Julian Edelman type player that also can line up behind Cam.  We could REALLY mess with the heads of the defensive coordinators with him, and take a lot of pressure of Cam.  He would be the go-to safety valve for Cam is he feels pressure.

I love this kid.  I'm not saying take him with out first pick, but if he's there for our second (which I highly doubt)... grab him.

That would take a OC with some imagination other than sweeps and toss plays..

We don't have that..

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The more I think about it, the more likely I am starting to think the Panthers may be trading up , or even trading down, to grab McCaffrey. 

McCaffrey would fit a number of needs on the team. This goes against him being a "situational player" as some have put it. If he is a 3rd down back, a receiver, a punt and kick returner.... isn't he on the field in more situations than most? 

Throw in the fact that the Panthers just hired his running backs coach at Stanford to replace RIcky Proehl. Who else in the NFL would know exactly what McCaffrey's strengths and weakenesses of and how to use him properly? 

Not to mention the reports of how much time and resources the Panthers had on hand at Stanford pro day. That was far more than just a Solomon Thomas show. 

The kid is just a pure football player with a pedigree. Do want. 

Better question is he willing to  trade Devin Funchess? 

@E CaT PanTHer 2

@CRA

@Cracka McNasty

@Hoenheim

@KB_fan

@Krovvy

@Kindawack

I kinda think the team may be looking at him as a slot receiver more than a running back.    Now would they take a slot/punt return guy at 8?  I highly doubt it, but stranger things have happened.  I also think they won't trade up for him because it would invest too much draft capital in the guy.  My unprofessional opinion is that if McCaffrey makes it to 40 then he will be an option but it will depend on who else is available. 

Just reading the tea leaves it appears they think Thomas could possibly be available at 8 so due diligence is at work here.  I think if they don't land Fornette at 8 they will target Perine later in the draft.   McCaffrey would be a luxury if available in the second but remember we are looking at other slot guys as well.

Honestly, I think our number one priority should be keeping Cam happy. If he is happy, he's more productive, the receivers are more productive, and our offense rolls. And the best way to keep him happy is to keep him upright. So every offensive player I look at, I think about how he is going to elongate one of my favorite player's career and give my favorite team of all time more years with a once in a generation QB. I think Fournette is the best tool to do this (and a great player in his own right). But if he or one of the top defensive players aren't there, and end up going offense, I think there are other offensive players who can add more value to the team based on how they make it more complete.

I like Mccaffrey a lot, and if we trade back and pick up Ramcyzk or at least have enough picks in the 2nd to spend one on OL, and there is good value when we are picking...sure. But you don't protect a soldier with a swiss army knife. If we draft a RB, I'd rather it be someone who can carry it enough to keep cam from getting hit.

My two cents. But I'm not an expert.

Archived