• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the Carolina Panthers trade up (or down) for Christian McCaffrey?

Jeremy Igo

If one of the big 4 are already taken when we pick. I would absolutely Love to trade down. McCaffrey is projected im the 20's.
With the possiblilty that Watson, Trubisky, etc couod very well be on the board when we pick. In addition to several teams needing a QB (teams will trade more than that value chart shows to get a QB). We could very well get a 2nd And a 3rd minimum.
With the talent and overal depth in this draft. More picks would be Yuge!

Heck we went CB heavy last year but the talent especially at fits for our sceme is insane. There are guys who will be going in the 3rd this year that would have been 1st round guys last year (Witherspoon for colorado is one of my Favs who we could get in the 3rd)

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

It's unlikley that McCaffrey lasts until the late first round.  He's being talked in the mid-first these days due to off-field / injury / athleticism questions on Dalvin Cook and the fact that Fournette - while he could certainly be a foundational back - doesn't necessarily fit what a lot of teams want to do on offense.

I would bet that DG prefers Fournette to McCaffrey - but I continue to believe that McCaffrey is a much better fit into the offense we have run the past two years.  But we are evolving (allegedly), so only the guys in the building know who is a better fit for what we want to become.

I'll say this - though Thomas / Hooker are my favorite prospects for #8, either of the following combos could go a long way towards evolving the offense:

Howard / McCaffrey (my favorite pairing, but I don't think McCaffrey falls far enough in round 1)

Fournette / Njoku

McCaffrey / Njoku

The bull case for McCaffrey is that he takes 10-15 carries per game, 5-7 receptions per game, and he can return punts and kicks.  That puts him on the field far more than either of our last two first round picks.  And he can Stewart can certainly share the field (same as Howard/Olsen) due to McCaffrey's skills in the passing game.

If Gettleman's board has McCaffrey sitting on top, I don't think he would have any hesitation about picking him at #8.

Now that would without a doubt send many Huddlers (and thus this forum) into a mental jag of depression and fury, but it wouldn't bother me. Frankly, along with Howard or Adams, McCaffrey is the player I like most. 

I don't think DG will trade back unless its with a team like Cleveland where he would be trading back only 4 positions.  Other than that, I think he stays put with the #8 pick. 

Was gonna do a write up today about this...

CMac fills 3 needs, RB, Slot, & Returner (Huge for field position.)

Instantly changes our offense and creates mismatches for everyone. If GM can make this happen, its a huge win. I'm more on board with this if Fournette is not there at 8. Value would be great. 

22 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

It's unlikley that McCaffrey lasts until the late first round.  He's being talked in the mid-first these days due to off-field / injury / athleticism questions on Dalvin Cook and the fact that Fournette - while he could certainly be a foundational back - doesn't necessarily fit what a lot of teams want to do on offense.

I would bet that DG prefers Fournette to McCaffrey - but I continue to believe that McCaffrey is a much better fit into the offense we have run the past two years.  But we are evolving (allegedly), so only the guys in the building know who is a better fit for what we want to become.

I'll say this - though Thomas / Hooker are my favorite prospects for #8, either of the following combos could go a long way towards evolving the offense:

Howard / McCaffrey (my favorite pairing, but I don't think McCaffrey falls far enough in round 1)

Fournette / Njoku

McCaffrey / Njoku

The bull case for McCaffrey is that he takes 10-15 carries per game, 5-7 receptions per game, and he can return punts and kicks.  That puts him on the field far more than either of our last two first round picks.  And he can Stewart can certainly share the field (same as Howard/Olsen) due to McCaffrey's skills in the passing game.

He's not going to get 10-15 carries a game and 5-7 receptions a game. That would be an absurd number of touches. That's like combining our starting running back with our top receiver. He's not getting 100 receptions in a season.

Then return all the kick? Are you trying to kill him in one season?

That all depends on what team we would be trading down or trading up with. It's hard to see McCaffrey being the first player that we pick in the draft even if it is in a trade down. And like posters have already said before a trade up for him would be pretty unlikely unless he has a big drop to near the end of the first or top of the second.

If we trade down I would think the Panthers are much more likely to get either Howard or Ross  , if we take the pick of a mid round team. Taking the pick of a team in the 20s is playing with fire , maybe McCaffrey, Ross, Howard, Fournette, Cook, Barnett could be all off the board by then. I don't think its worth it to trade down that far.

What makes the most sence to me is the Panthers either trade down with a mid round team like the Bills, Cardinals, Browns, Eagles, Colts, or they just keep pick at and go BPA. And maybe do a trade up if someone like McCaffrey has an unexpected drop to end of first , start of second.

Archived