• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meeting with Miami TE Njoku

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The Panthers have an upcoming meeting with tight end David Njoku.

There is a chance he falls into the second round.

From NFL.com

Strengths

Great muscular definition with long arms and room for 10 more pounds. Elite athlete and seam buster deluxe. Can stick a foot in the ground and break in either direction at a 90-degree angle in shorter routes. Tremendous acceleration out of breaks to separate and widen the window for quarterbacks. Opens the throttle in open field. When he catches it on the move, the YAC yards can become an avalanche. Was 7 foot high-jumper in high school and can go up and over most everyone he faces. Hand quickness to get a last second push-off and still get hands up to secure catch. Finds soft spots against zones. Plays outside, from the slot and in-line. Willing to compete as a blocker. Can push defensive backs around from slot. Gets early arm extension into defender and looks to create some turn. Shows lateral blocking ability for zone scheme.

Weaknesses

Inexperienced at the position and still a work in progress. Needs to add to his play strength to handle in-line blocking as a pro. Don't skip leg days, bro. Struggled badly to stay in front of Pitt powerhouse Ejuan Price. Hands too high and wide at point of attack. Inconsistent hands over two years at Miami. Focus drops were a problem. Had eight drops over last two seasons for drop rate over 11 percent. Speed allows him to uncover on downfield routes and hasn't had to learn nuances of setting up defenders with route work. Needs to get head around and find ball quicker when working over top of linebacker.

NFL Comparison

Greg Olsen

(Interesting comparison)

Why do you think we haven't worked out or visited with players that are in the top ten on most mock drafts? 

11 hours ago, DaCityKats said:

4.64 is not bad for a 245 pound TE but look at his other testing numbers and it's in that elite catergory. A 3 cone under 7.00 seconds is damn good

Pat Kirwin has a formula for grading power/explosion.

you add a players bench,vertical and broad jump.

the number 70 is what you look for......

anywhere close to that and the player is explosive.

njoku = 69

howard = 62

2 minutes ago, 2jakefansinva said:

Pat Kirwin has a formula for grading power/explosion.

you add a players bench,vertical and broad jump.

the number 70 is what you look for......

anywhere close to that and the player is explosive.

njoku = 69

howard = 62

I think people put way too much stock in the 40.  Njoku is very explosive, but he's not a finished product.  The difference is Howard, according to the sports media and blogosphere, is much more complete and ready to go.  If you NEED a quality TE, you take Howard and enjoy the rewards.  Njoku is all about the talent and how well your staff can train him up.  He would absolutely benefit from a few years of following Greg Olsen around like a puppy.  

Reading the internet tea leaves, he's a strong possibility for a 2nd round pick.  Or a smokescreen.  

Just now, Ivan The Awesome said:

This is the year I wish the Panthers would move back. So many good players you can have in mid to late first and the second round will have so many good players available. 

Trading back is always popular among fans. There's so many prospects that get hype leading up to the draft that it's easy to want as many of them as possible. In reality, a bunch of these guys will be busts or disappointments, a bunch will be solid players, and only a handful will be true studs. We gotta get one of those studs at #8.

I could easily see him being that at #40. Fans fall in love with highlight reels. NFL teams watch real film. They'll be putting a big red flag on those hands.

With that said, it only takes one team to disagree and it would be easy to see some playoff team with a good roster falling in love with Njoku's potential in the late 1st and rolling the dice on him.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Trading back is always popular among fans. There's so many prospects that get hype leading up to the draft that it's easy to want as many of them as possible. In reality, a bunch of these guys will be busts or disappointments, a bunch will be solid players, and only a handful will be true studs. We gotta get one of those studs at #8.

I agree one hundred percent. I'm normally with you but this draft is deep at every position and the talent drop off isn't that huge with some of these position players. That same hype is what is separating most of these players. Instead of stats,  the tape, player measurables, football IQ, etc. Sure we miss out on a "stud" in the top 8 but you can get two more "studs" in the later rounds and get that depth this team needs. Or a quality player as well that's already been in the league. 

Other years, nah,  I wouldn't want them to trade down. This year. Yeah, I wouldn't be mad if they did. 

2 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I agree one hundred percent. I'm normally with you but this draft is deep at every position and the talent drop off isn't that huge with some of these position players. That same hype is what is separating most of these players. Instead of stats,  the tape, player measurables, football IQ, etc. Sure we miss out on a "stud" in the top 8 but you can get two more "studs" in the later rounds and get that depth this team needs. Or a quality player as well that's already been in the league. 

Other years, nah,  I wouldn't want them to trade down. This year. Yeah, I wouldn't be mad if they did. 

Oh, I won't be mad if we do.

Unless Fournette is there.

Archived