• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meeting with UConn safety today

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

Well, personally speaking, I feel there's better value at 31 for you guys than Obi. 

At 8, I'm leaning on getting a potential monster rusher like Thomas, or a productive dude in Barnett or Allen.

Do not feel Jamal Adams is worth a first rounder anymore, but he'll likely be overdrafted by someone. Malik Hooker would be a solid grab though.

Fournette would be nice, but I'm scared half to death he'll bust in our offense if we don't evolve. Fournette sucks in the shotgun, while Cam only has 9.2% of his snaps from under center. I feel though our coaching staff could implement some evolutions in that area to let everyone thrive even if that were the case, but I'd still be a bit worried.

Truuu that .. I'm also entertaining the thought of Feeney, Watt or Taco if he's around(saw him mocked to us today which was surprising). 

I don't want you guys to draft either 3 because I know they won't bust in Carolina. You guys have success out of every DL you draft it seems like. Allen would be ridiculous. Thomas is scary as well but Allen has that Leonard Williams like esque. Barnett would be a stud too but he's so stiff, would be a great pick but not as intimidating as the other 2 even though his production is crazy!

I agree on the Jamal Adams part. Hooker would be sick for you guys as well. They say he has the best instincts coming out since Reed. I don't like the thought of you guys having a Ed Reed to go long with that front 7. If I don't like it that means it's great for you guys. Lmfaooo 

Im not sure how I feel about Leonard @ one point I was in fear of you guys drafting him. Now that I think on it more he'll get force fed with you guys leading to wear & tear. Which would lead to missed games. I think he'd be a great fit, productive & the prototypical Panther RB but it's better picks in Thomas, Barnett, Hooker & Allen. 

@GeorgiaBoyz I'm not surprised Taco has been mocked once to you. His tape shows a raw player, but he has the size and body to dominate. He far too often shows he needs to be coached up a few years if he wants to dominate.

I'd be scared to see him go to you guys, but it's not that irrational of an idea.

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

I honestly hate the idea of trading up in this draft unless it is with the 4th round or later. I don't want to lose the 4 in 98 or 5 in 115 sans the 115. Giving up 40 and 64 just seems like too much. I don't think the drop off from the mid 20s to 40 is worth the player we can get at 64. I posted earlier in here about moving up the 64 with pick 115, which I'd rather do. I want 3 guys from the 1st and 2nd, not just 2.

The only exception IMHO is if someone we considered at 8, somehow drops far enough that we can get them, i.e. we are deciding between Fournette and Howard at 8 and Howard is available at 24 and we can snag him with 40/64. That's OK. Trading up to get Ross at 24 because we like him, but never even thought about him at 8 doesn't work when I have seen mocks with him falling into the 2nd. I know we've traded up a lot, but the past few drafts weren't even close to this draft in terms of talent.

Yeah, i'm not a fan of trading up either...  was just saying there is a lot of talk that we may, and if we do, Obi is one of the guys I have an eye on.  Personally, I've advocated trading back from 8 to get another pick or two in the first 3 rounds.  I figure a shotgun/scatter style approach will give us the talent and depth we need for meaningful competition across the board by bringing in more players from those early rounds.

But, value is relative...  if there is a guy Gettleman thinks is a surefire star for the next 10 years that he can get by trading up back into the first, then those 2nd and 3rd rounders wont mean much to him...  and if he's right, they won't mean much to us either in hindsight.

6'4 220 DB with 4.4 speed and explosions won't last long in the draft. Not really physical like you would expect and his best position is probably CB. I find those traits hard to past up in the 1st. Byron Jones blew the combine and went 1st round too. Same school.

2 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Image result for obi melifonwu

Connecticut_logo.gif Connecticut
Connecticut's pro day drew interest because the school has a first-round prospect:

Player Position Height Weight Off. 40 Time Unoff. 40 Time 10-Yd Split Bench 3-cone Vert Broad Hand Arm
Andreas Knapp
OL
6-8
--
--
--
8-10
--
--
Obi Melifonwu
DB
6-4
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Noel Thomas
WR
6-1
--
--
--
--
9-10
--
--

Obi Melifonwu stood on most of his combine numbers, but ran a 7.05 3-cone. He was terrific in the drills. He met with the Buccaneers, Panthers and Lions, and he has visits coming up with the Steelers, Seahawks and Saints. He also had a workout with the Texans. I have Melifonwu slotted to the Saints in the opening round of my 2017 NFL Mock Draft.

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

Connecticut_logo.gif Connecticut
Connecticut's pro day drew interest because the school has a first-round prospect:

Player Position Height Weight Off. 40 Time Unoff. 40 Time 10-Yd Split Bench 3-cone Vert Broad Hand Arm
Andreas Knapp
OL
6-8
--
--
--
8-10
--
--
Obi Melifonwu
DB
6-4
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Noel Thomas
WR
6-1
--
--
--
--
9-10
--
--

Obi Melifonwu stood on most of his combine numbers, but ran a 7.05 3-cone. He was terrific in the drills. He met with the Buccaneers, Panthers and Lions, and he has visits coming up with the Steelers, Seahawks and Saints. He also had a workout with the Texans. I have Melifonwu slotted to the Saints in the opening round of my 2017 NFL Mock Draft.

Blew up the combine, but I've heard more than once that his instincts are so/so at best, and horrible at worst, and he was able to still make plays only because of his elite athleticism. He's the type that would have to see something before he reacted, rather than anticipate, not sure how that would work in the pros, which is why a lot of teams are thinking of putting him at corner, where you don't need instincts as much as safety. 

All of the above is just why I wouldn't take him in the first or trade up for him, but if he's there at 40, I wouldn't mind at all.

Archived