• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wait a second, Cam was allowed to play with torn rotator cuff?

Jeremy Igo

8 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I hate to think he kept playing in a lost season, and everyone here knows, I wouldn't hesistate to call out the staff for stupidity, but having thought about it, my guess is Cam made the decision.  Like most players, he didn't want to sit out, regardless of the circumstances, and likely put off addressing it until after the season.

NOW, that being said, where I do think the staff's ineptitude is visible in this situation is in waiting to get his surgery done until late March.  Just doesn't make sense...  unless it was made to accomodate Cam's offseason plans, I have no earthly idea why they wait this long.

I'm not buying that Cam made the decision to keep playing. If Rivera could bench him for not wearing a tie, then he could bench him for being injured. He had no problem shutting Luke down. This staff is just beyond stupid.

5 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

I'm assuming it's late to us and not them because of the "treatment plan" they had him on. Ryan said they had him rest then rehab and throwing. So I'm ASSUMING he rested the rest of January, February started the rehab and here we are 3rd week in March and he's in pain throwing. Idk, this is the only way I can make sense lol. This whole staff gives me bad migraines. 

yeah, that sounds plausible.  I know i had similar issues with an ankle injury and got similar advice...  rest, see how it feels when you get back to playing/running and if pain persists, further treatment (like surgery) would be considered.

Ryan is an awesome trainer from all that I've gathered over the years, so I'm in no place to question him, but this just seems like it dragged on for longer than it should have from the outside looking in.

Anyone trying to blame Cam for continuing to play is just being dumb. Ultimately, it isn't the player's decision. He can lobby and beg and plead, but ultimately it's up to the medical staff and coaching staff. Someone should've pulled the plug on Cam's season for him. These guys really are essentially modern day gladiators. Sometimes you have to protect them from themselves.

2 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

I'm not buying that Cam made the decision to keep playing. If Rivera could bench him for not wearing a tie, then he could bench him for being injured. He had no problem shutting Luke down. This staff is just beyond stupid.

Good points cookie...  but, generally, it seems when it comes to injuries, most teams/staffs tell the player what theyre dealing with and leave it up to the player to make the decision depending on if they are at any more risk playing with it (outside of concussions of course, but even then some guys have found ways to play).  Most guys don't want to give another guy their snaps - look at the crap Big Ben has played through/with over the years.

I mean, none of this is at all surprising. We all feared the hits would eventually take their toll. Cam's a big, tough, durable SOB but we're all human. There's only so much abuse the body can take. It really does seem like the hits are catching up with him. Glad to see us try to finally address the OL in a meaningful way now that we're entering Cam's 7th season in the league. It may not work out, but damn it, it's an attempt. Finally.

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

yeah, that sounds plausible.  I know i had similar issues with an ankle injury and got similar advice...  rest, see how it feels when you get back to playing/running and if pain persists, further treatment (like surgery) would be considered.

Ryan is an awesome trainer from all that I've gathered over the years, so I'm in no place to question him, but this just seems like it dragged on for longer than it should have from the outside looking in.

Same with an injury I had. I had to go to physical therapy, something like a total of 15 sessions and go back to my doctor and he did another MRI and asked about my pain and it hadn't gotten any better so surgery was the next step. That's the ONLY reason I see them waiting until now for surgery. And even still, I don't think it's that bad. 

6 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

This!! You can bench him for a tie but you can't put your foot down and say hey, you're not playing??? What was he gonna do, stay in the locker room? Put a towel over his head and pout for 4 quarters? Refuse to come clean his locker out? Cam may have wanted to play...Im 10000% sure he did, but he does not call the shots around there lol. 

7 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

There's never gonna be a time when a competitive player says "I don't wanna play".

It's often on coaches to save players from themselves.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Anyone trying to blame Cam for continuing to play is just being dumb. Ultimately, it isn't the player's decision. He can lobby and beg and plead, but ultimately it's up to the medical staff and coaching staff. Someone should've pulled the plug on Cam's season for him. These guys really are essentially modern day gladiators. Sometimes you have to protect them from themselves.

But that's my point LG...  You know, I'm not only a diehard fan of the team, but a huge fan of Cam as an individual.  So, I'm not blaming him.  I'm saying he likely did what any player would have done.  They want to play.  When I say "I hate to think he kept playing through an injury in a lost season," i mean to acknowledge he likely made the decision to play, but also that he shouldn't have been allowed to make that decision...  as we often see with players who may or may not have suffered a concussion wanting to go back in, if all else fails, someone hides their helmet to keep them from doing so.  The staff failed, yet again, in this instance.

Guys. GUYZ. I have figured it out. If they had sat Cam Newton, Derek Anderson would have won more games because he is better than Cam Newton. Which would have hurt our draft position. Also, they didn't want to sit him because that lowers his trade value and we all know the coaching staff hates Cam Newton because "arrogance" and they want to trade him for Kirk Cousins. We all know Cousins is better. They wanted to embarrass Cam Newton and show how bad of a leader he is cuz of "towels on head". Thanks. I'll be writing more of this up for my blog www.notmyblackquarterback.com

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived