• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers biggest weakness as of today....

Jeremy Igo

Offense

we need a slot WR and a second TE (not for depth, for formations) and a RB along with his lead blocker

We also need a OT and C project, along with a guard that can take over for one of the two guards coming up on contracts. So later round OT and C and early round G. 

Defense

Development DE that can learn behind the vets, another DT as insurance for Star and/or Kawann leaving. Butler will need help if one or both leave. 

A backup LB to replace Klein. 

A SS of the future as well. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Based on what?

Other than hopes and prayers that guys make big leaps forward I see no logical argument for WR not being a significant issue.

Based on philosophy. People around here forget we are a running team and we need a RB so much more. We need a deep threat speed guy but people on here seem to think just because we don't have a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green we need a WR. We do not run those offenses.

Furthermore we have invested in the position with first and second rounders. Funchess is so young I will give him one more year. KB came back from a huge knee injury and almost put up 1k yards. People need to understand that.

Lastly we have Olsen. Him with KB and you have two 1k receivers, granted not much speediness but the fact remains, how many other teams in the NFL who have a run base philosophy would kill for that duo?

What have we, as a heavily run oriented team, invested in RB? Nothing, really. That is why I feel RB should be addressed. Unfortunately if we didn't have Shula we could even utilize a RB with speed as a quick speedy receiver as well. I'm not saying we don't need speed, we most certainly do, I'm simply saying we need to look at philosophy more than ideals, and I'm doing so, also consider our downfalls in Shula who needs a RB.

31 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Based on philosophy. People around here forget we are a running team and we need a RB so much more. We need a deep threat speed guy but people on here seem to think just because we don't have a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green we need a WR. We do not run those offenses.

Furthermore we have invested in the position with first and second rounders. Funchess is so young I will give him one more year. KB came back from a huge knee injury and almost put up 1k yards. People need to understand that.

Lastly we have Olsen. Him with KB and you have two 1k receivers, granted not much speediness but the fact remains, how many other teams in the NFL who have a run base philosophy would kill for that duo?

What have we, as a heavily run oriented team, invested in RB? Nothing, really. That is why I feel RB should be addressed. Unfortunately if we didn't have Shula we could even utilize a RB with speed as a quick speedy receiver as well. I'm not saying we don't need speed, we most certainly do, I'm simply saying we need to look at philosophy more than ideals, and I'm doing so, also consider our downfalls in Shula who needs a RB.

AJ Green? Ironically, Cincy runs the ball almost as much as we do. They were 10th in the league last year in run percentage, we were 8th.

Yes, we've tried to invest in WRs but those investments are sunk costs. You can't get those picks back. I hope Funchess wakes up but we shouldn't be counting on it in terms of our roster decisions.

Wanna run the ball better? Get some WRs that make teams think twice about stacking the box against us.

4 hours ago, Bronn said:

Right now, it is Johnson (under-performing for a while IMHO,) Addison (overachieving because he's been rotational,) Peppers (not a full time starter now,) Horton (rubber-banded with us, good against the run, but not a pass rusher,) Delaire (rotational, shown flashes but nothing in stone yet,) and Webster (meh.)

We need a good, young, solid starter, or at least two more rotational guys that bring different tools to the table. I still wish we'd look at Devin Taylor if we go the latter route.

In a dream scenario we could get Myles Garrett. In a good scenario, we'd get Solomon Thomas. In an okay scenario, we'd trade down in the first and get Barnett or one of the third tier DE/OLB hybrids that specialize in pass rush situations. Ultimately, I think we'll get a later round guy like Kpassagnon to roll the dice a bit and hope we can mold him into an every down starter.

But, we have a strong roster on paper, and DE is just the biggest weakness to me.

OT I think we have uncertainty in, only because the jury is out on what is gonna happen with Oher, and how Matt Kalil will pan out. I'm optimistic that Kalil will do well, so I don't think this trumps the DE need.

WR I think we're fine with. We signed two guys that I think will come in and take over the slot work immediately and who could actually push Funch a bit. I'd hope Benji has had a stern talking to by now and that he'll be ready to play again this year. We could take a gamble on a later round guy, but I think we're fine, especially considering that outside those top 4 (Benji, Funch, Johnson, Shephard) we still have Bersin, Byrd, and even Garrett that have familiarity with our system. Now, if Williams or Davis is BPA or happen to fall into our laps at 40, then, yeah, we'll take them.

Until we cut Dickson, we're okay at TE solely because Olsen is elite. If we have plans to cut Dickson or want to give him some competition, there are plenty of good ones that can be had in the third round (or first or second, depending on how the chips fall.)

SS is a need because I think the Adams signing was just a depth/vet/Boston insurance move and that we're seriously looking at getting younger with Jamal Adams if he's there in the first, or one of the later first/early second guys (Baker, Melifonwu.) This draft is stacked at S, though, so we could get one in the 5th or later that would be an upgrade/project for us.

RB depth we're okay with, but Stewart's deal expires after this season. Even if we don't cut him this year, I think most can agree, at this point, that Fozzy or CAP isn't the eventual starter. If a good RB prospect is on the board in the first three rounds, we'll take him.

LB depth is scarier to me than a lot of people here are letting on. We have TD (aging,) Luke (noggin',) and Shaq as our starters. Mayo is gonna be a good backup in the middle, and Norris and Blechen have shown promise. But we need more depth here pretty bad, and someone to groom as eventual starters (which, outside of Mayo, I don't know that we have.) I really think we could pick Reuben Foster, Hasaan Reddick, or Zach Cunningham if they slide a bit.

Outside of a couple unproven guys, we have nobody at FB. Sure it is a fading position in today's offenses, but our offense could use a good one in certain formations. We could take a late round flyer, or hope someone like Zach Line is still on the market after the draft.

Most of our biggest needs are needs due to depth or uncertainty, which is actually a good thing when you think about it.

The Bengals and Saints can and very likely would take Barnett.  I've even seen him mocked to the Bills.  Trading back and still getting Barnett is a risky proposition.  If we're ok "settling" with Howard, then it makes more sense.

6 hours ago, Asurfaholic said:

Wasn't trying be an a hole as much as I was just pointing that the team is pretty well rounded. I just hope the coaches can utilize the strengths of what we have better this season. 

But what can I say, maybe I'm just an a hole anyways.

We are not ass holes.  Fire shula!

So by my count the top vote getters are 

DE, OT, AND WR.  Pretty embarrassing for G-man if you ask me. OT has been a problem since 2014. DE has been a problem since 14 and WR has been a problem since 2014. All positions that were in better shape when he got here in 2013. 

Gettis Shepard is not a replacement for Ginn. KB, Funchess, Shepard (or whatever other scrub we've signed) would be our worst line-up since 2010. We need either a 1st round WR, or a second round WR + Victor Cruz.

After that, DE and FS are also priority needs.

Archived