• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers biggest weakness as of today....

Jeremy Igo

I think long term solutions at SS, DE, and OT are needed. Short term I would say the biggest weakness is a playmaker on the offense. Whether a RB, WR, or even a punt/kick returner, some spark is definitely needed!

only considering roster spots (Shula needs to fukken go, and will hold this team back more than any player position), i would rank our team needs like so:

1 ) RB (most immediate need with current thin depth, JStew most likely done as a Panther by 2018, and a renewed focus on power running by the coaching staff)

2) DE or OT (The issues at these two spots, while different, make the need equal in my eyes. Aging players at DE = insurance and depth at OT in the hierarchy of needs in my mind)

3) TE or speed WR (TE would complement Greg in the short term, and hopefully provide his heir in a few seasons when Greg hangs them up, either position would add new  facets to our offense that would allow new schemes and hopefully some raw talent, like speed/separation/blocking/etc, that we didnt have before. might also add a returner for special teams)

4) Strong Safety (Mike Adams will be a good stop gap, but we really need the answer here soon)

5) Kicker (Gano used to be a reliable kicker, but is a few seasons removed from that now. need an upgrade at some point)

6) CB (would be for competition. but perhaps we land a stud that would give us 2-3 starting quality CBs within a few seasons)

7) OG/DT/LB (all positions that need insurance and competition)

I'd argue that DE was most certainly improved this offseason. We lost no one and gained Peppers. But it's still one of our biggest needs.  Up there with a RT, RB and SS.  Williams could be the answer at RT but I dunno. And we need replacements at RB and SS.  Stewart and Adams shouldn't be the starters next year, same as anything we have at DE. 

Edit: and yea, we STILL need a serious talent infusion at WR. Need a new #1, with KB as our #2 and a new guy to be our slot WR unless one of the WRs added this year step up into that role. 

36 minutes ago, Bronn said:

Most of our biggest needs are needs due to depth or uncertainty, which is actually a good thing when you think about it

Well said.

I tend to agree with most of what you wrote.

In terms of my overall anxiety about the roster, I'm still most anxious re: offensive tackles until we see how Kalil looks and whether Oher is healthy.  But I don't have high expectations to solve this problem in the draft.

Going into the draft, I agree we need a young stud DE who we can begin to develop and train up behind Pep & CJ.

I also would like us to groom another safety under Adams.  If we're gonna play a 36-37 year old, let's maximize his experience and use him as a player - coach.

BUT, I actually feel our needs are more acute at offense.  I'm high on the scenario to draft a TE - RB combo and also strengthen our talent at WR.  Losing Ted Ginn worries me.  I like what I see of CJ#2 and Shepard on paper, but I'm not going to count on them as anything more than potential depth right now.

I want 3 skill players on offense badly.  We need an injection of talent on offense.  The Defense needs are slightly lower priority in my mind, though I understand the reasons why we might draft a potentially elite DE or S like Thomas or Adams at #8 if they're there, even if our holes on offense seem a bit bigger.

3 hours ago, steven8989 said:

We was good DE wise last year and had a bunch of sacks. I wouldn't say we need quite as much. Definitely not worth the 8th pick. We need some offensive weapons. Tired of them not trying to help Cam out.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Does no one know that our pressure and sacks came from blitzing safety, LB, and CB? Not from the front 4? And in doing so completely ruined our coverage and pass protection. 

We need a DE in this draft more than anything. If we start to be competitive this year we will be drafting late again. We need to take full advantage of our position in a DE, S, TE, CB deep draft. 

I would say safety and TE as well because again very deep talented class this year and the talent behind Olsen and our starting Safetys to the next guy in line is woefully bad. 

The biggest need is OT but to me the class is so crap this year it's not worth it till our 3rd pick and later for a project that could be great.

OT, and if we are simply being completely honest with ourselves, more WR the most. We signed a couple of unknowns, and we are hinging our season on Benjamin taking the next step, and Funchess actually doing something. Not exactly ideal.

I think our biggest need is safety but as everyone pointed out we have big questions at DE and OT. I am not so sure if those questions can be answered with the 8th pick unless someone falls to us. I think the bigger question is who can improve our team the most.

Archived