• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers biggest weakness as of today....

Jeremy Igo

OT we know is a weakness. But who knows what we have in Kalil and still need to see a little more from Williams starting to make a judgement on him. Drafting someone in this draft isnt going to fix that.

DE I dont see as a Huge weakness as far as this upcoming season. But going forward yes. We were one of the tops in the league in sacks. Only thing different about that group is subtract Ealy and gain Pep. Ealy played with less heart than Pep ever did in his career here. Pep now a vet, matured, and hungry for a ring will be an upgrade to Ealy.

We could draft a guy like Tanoh by trading up in the 3rd. Would be a good prospect to groom for 18 when Pep And possibly CJ could be gone.

Safety we gained a vet whose made the last 2 probowls. Big upgrade over Boston who is out of position a majority of the time. Could find a young guy to groom, but not a glaring need

Biggest "need" or weakness

1. Power RB- Stewart is one of the most injured prone guys in this game, and he's up in age. When the run game stalls so does our offense. Heck the superbowl, when Stewart got nicked up our offense took a decline. I have zero faith in CAP. If the only time he is even getting activated is when Stewart was out, something isnt right. Had a decent game vs Tampa but what RB doesnt.

Upgrades via draft: Fournette round1, Perine Round 3

2. WR- KB looked good his rookie year, had a major knee injury year 2. Last year was awful, not sure if a delayed sophomore slump or what. Funchess has shown flashes, but again hasnt shown anything to have you comfortable with this group. The 2 guys we brought in shouldnt have you saying this group isnt a weak point either. While I like the potential of the guys. They have been in the league for a little and one hasnt been much more than a ST guy and the other only started 17 games in a terrible WR (was a focal point for them last years draft getting Treadwell)

Upgrades: Chris Godwin, Zay Jones Round 2. Cooper Kupp, Taywan Taylor, Noah Brown Rounds 3-4

3. #2 TE. Dickson cant block to save his life. Need that well rounded TE who can catch passes but willing blocker.

Upgrades: OJ Howard Round 1, Jordan Legget pick 64, Kittle Round 4-5

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1. WR - KB is the only WR we have on the roster who has had a 1000 yard season in the NFL. Funchess' best season? 473 yards. Shepard's? 341. Johnson's? 475. On paper, this would be the weakest WR corps of Cam's career.

2. OT - Gotta assume Oher is done and until Kalil proves he can stay healthy and return to form he's a big question mark as well. Is Williams really the long-term answer at RT?

3. DE - We're rolling with a bunch of stopgaps and we have no young developmental talent.

4. SS - Adams will hopefully be a good stopgap, but see above.

5. RB - Stew struggles to stay healthy and he's knocking on the door of 30.

6. TE - We like to run two TE sets but our #2 TE is awful and Olsen is 32.

Our biggest weakness right now is Time.

So many of our stud players are probably on their last or next to last seasons, the clock is ticking on this team to gel before some of these folks head off to the next phases in their lives.

Jonathan Stewart is at an age when the game is no longer kind to running backs, particularly bruisers like him. His mileage is low, but it's a punishing position, especially how he plays.

Ryan Kalil, yeah, his brother is a youngish face on our team, but Ryan is getting up there and the injuries have got to be taking their toll. Luckily he's always been a player whose success was based on technique and brains, so he may be able to go a while longer.

Greg Olsen is getting up there in years, too. His drive and capabilities are still the best in the league, and I think HoF worthy someday but there's going to be a day when he's going to hang up the cleats and spend the time enjoying his family.

Michael Oher may already be done. If he plays this next season, will he be medically and ethically be allowed another?

Thomas Davis. Man, this one hurts, doesn't it. He hasn't dropped off yet and that drive is so strong in him. If Luke is the brains of the defense, Davis is the heart. He'll answer the bell for as long as his legs carry him, but realistically, the retirement is closing in.

And Luke, speaking of Luke, you and I both know that next concussion will probably be it for one of the greatest MLBs to play the game. He's young, but another concussion may be a big quality of life deciding factor.

Charles Johnson has played his heart out over the years and father time is catching up. I think he's got his best year (singular) ahead of him. But that's probably it.

Julius Peppers... great to see him back, but if it is for more than a victory lap retirement season, then it will just prove how much of a physical specimen he is and something that just doesn't happen but once in a generation.

And last, but not least, let's talk about Cam. Cam is going to be in the prime of his playing life this season. He still has those physical talents that allow him to move and make plays like no one else before him, and he has gained so much experience. Cam is one of the greats, but because of how he plays and how others are allowed to play against him, the team almost has to look at him as someone whose career might be limited by eventual accident or injury.

Time, I say, is our biggest weakness. There needs to be a sense of urgency on this team.

We're in the best position to grab a future DE high but OT is the biggest weakness yet again. 

If Bolles or Ramczyk fall into the 20s, that may be our target in a trade up scenario. They're the only two guys I really see as potential LTs 

I don't get the DE thing. I don't believe you can say that considering our line as a whole and individual rankings. Adding Peppers is a fairly big deal. 

I suppose if you have tunnel vision and only look at sacks...

Anyway, I suspect we'll add another edge rusher and tackle in the draft.

The biggest question mark in my opinion has to be at OT and WR. Compared to other positions, we just don't know what we have, but we know both were on the weak side last year. The fact that Benjamin may have outgained the entire receiving corps last season (yes, I'm being hypebolic, but you get my drift) is concerning, as is the condition of Oher and extremely spotty play of the tackles.

I don't see running back as a weakness as such, though it's time to infuse the ranks with some legitimate talent. And, as always, we're one injury away from being screwed at TE, but what else is new?

Just now, top dawg said:

I don't get the DE thing. I don't believe you can say that considering our line as a whole and individual rankings. Adding Peppers is a fairly big deal. 

I suppose if you have tunnel vision and only look at sacks...

Anyway, I suspect we'll add another edge rusher and tackle in the draft.

The biggest question mark in my opinion has to be at OT and WR. Compared to other positions, we just don't know what we have, but we know both were on the weak side last year. The fact that Benjamin may have outgained the entire receiving corps last season is concerning, as is the condition of Oher and extremely spotty play of the tackles.

I don't see running back as a weakness as such, though it's time to infuse the ranks with some talent. And, as always, we're one injury away from being screwed at TE, but what else is new?

Right now, it is Johnson (under-performing for a while IMHO,) Addison (overachieving because he's been rotational,) Peppers (not a full time starter now,) Horton (rubber-banded with us, good against the run, but not a pass rusher,) Delaire (rotational, shown flashes but nothing in stone yet,) and Webster (meh.)

We need a good, young, solid starter, or at least two more rotational guys that bring different tools to the table. I still wish we'd look at Devin Taylor if we go the latter route.

In a dream scenario we could get Myles Garrett. In a good scenario, we'd get Solomon Thomas. In an okay scenario, we'd trade down in the first and get Barnett or one of the third tier DE/OLB hybrids that specialize in pass rush situations. Ultimately, I think we'll get a later round guy like Kpassagnon to roll the dice a bit and hope we can mold him into an every down starter.

But, we have a strong roster on paper, and DE is just the biggest weakness to me.

OT I think we have uncertainty in, only because the jury is out on what is gonna happen with Oher, and how Matt Kalil will pan out. I'm optimistic that Kalil will do well, so I don't think this trumps the DE need.

WR I think we're fine with. We signed two guys that I think will come in and take over the slot work immediately and who could actually push Funch a bit. I'd hope Benji has had a stern talking to by now and that he'll be ready to play again this year. We could take a gamble on a later round guy, but I think we're fine, especially considering that outside those top 4 (Benji, Funch, Johnson, Shephard) we still have Bersin, Byrd, and even Garrett that have familiarity with our system. Now, if Williams or Davis is BPA or happen to fall into our laps at 40, then, yeah, we'll take them.

Until we cut Dickson, we're okay at TE solely because Olsen is elite. If we have plans to cut Dickson or want to give him some competition, there are plenty of good ones that can be had in the third round (or first or second, depending on how the chips fall.)

SS is a need because I think the Adams signing was just a depth/vet/Boston insurance move and that we're seriously looking at getting younger with Jamal Adams if he's there in the first, or one of the later first/early second guys (Baker, Melifonwu.) This draft is stacked at S, though, so we could get one in the 5th or later that would be an upgrade/project for us.

RB depth we're okay with, but Stewart's deal expires after this season. Even if we don't cut him this year, I think most can agree, at this point, that Fozzy or CAP isn't the eventual starter. If a good RB prospect is on the board in the first three rounds, we'll take him.

LB depth is scarier to me than a lot of people here are letting on. We have TD (aging,) Luke (noggin',) and Shaq as our starters. Mayo is gonna be a good backup in the middle, and Norris and Blechen have shown promise. But we need more depth here pretty bad, and someone to groom as eventual starters (which, outside of Mayo, I don't know that we have.) I really think we could pick Reuben Foster, Hasaan Reddick, or Zach Cunningham if they slide a bit.

Outside of a couple unproven guys, we have nobody at FB. Sure it is a fading position in today's offenses, but our offense could use a good one in certain formations. We could take a late round flyer, or hope someone like Zach Line is still on the market after the draft.

Most of our biggest needs are needs due to depth or uncertainty, which is actually a good thing when you think about it.

This question can be answered either CB/Safety or DE. If our defensive philosophy is going stay the same it's DE. DE is just patchwork and S will suffice if there is pressure. However, if we are just relying on patchwork, we need to strengthen the backside.

I would argue RB because after Stewart there is really no one that can carry the load but RB is more easily filled. Tackle is a huge hole on the other hand but I really feel Kalil is the answer, that is a hit or miss, absolute scenario though it's the biggest hole.

In order:

DE

LT

RB

S

K

This is based off philosophy more so than personal. I think we address DE and S in the draft...possibly RB, which leaves us with a hit or miss LT and a sub standard kicker...which isn't bad, actually pretty good going into the season.

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

Wide receiver.

And it ain't even close.

I just think this fanbase is so accustomed to a trash WR corps that they're almost immune to seeing it as an issue.

We have one guy on the roster who has shown he can be an impact WR and even that guy is prone to drops, taking plays off, and padding stats in garbage time. I like KB, I'm just trying to be transparent here.

The rest of the WR roster? A former 2nd round pick who has shown very little, a couple of FAs who haven't done much, and UDFA JAGs. 

If we don't do something at this position, then once again we're going to be hoping that guys play well above what a reasonable person could expect. Maybe that'll work out, but it's a dangerous strategy.

Archived