• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Carolina Panthers have gotten...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

What changed at runningback?

"If you're not getting better, you're getting worse"

-DG

6 minutes ago, SCP said:

I'm so bipolar on this roster. One minute I'm like great we've gotten better and the next minute I'm thinking we're still 3/4 in the NFCS.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

*wipes away tear*

I don't even know you anymore!

4 minutes ago, Jangler said:

Okay. If Dave had the money, as he does this year, he would have used it. 

Hurney fyck ed this team up. We have been lucky to keep the players we have 

But he did use it. From 2014 he never had less than 24 million to work with heading into march. This was before restructures and cuts. 

In 14 that money went to 

Hardy,Gano,Avant,Dickson,Underwood,Joe Webb, Antoine Cason, Cotchery, Richie Brockel, Roman Harper, Thomas Decoud, Mike McNeill, Russel Anderson, Ed Dickson and extending Derrick Anderson.

15 I already covered as most went to extending Hurneys core. But he also actually signed some good band aides that time as the record shows. Tillman and Oher were excellent additions plus he brought Ginn back and signed Kurt Coleman. 

See the difference in signing the right guys vs the wrong ones? I heaped tons of praise on Gettleman during the 2015 season and knew we were onto something with those kind of additions and extending Hurney guys. (Cam,Luke,Davis and Kalil).

In 2016 we had plenty of space as evidenced by the 13+ million we rolled into this year. 

Too bad he decided his biggest splashes were going to be paying Soliai and extending Tolbert.

27 minutes ago, SCP said:

I'm so bipolar on this roster. One minute I'm like great we've gotten better and the next minute I'm thinking we're still 3/4 in the NFCS.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Well first of all it's definetly possible to be better and still 3/4 in the NFC south. We were that bad last year and those who didn't see it coming were being blind homers.

Secondly the offseason is the land of eternal hope for every fan base. For us is breaks down like this.

Homerism vs realism. 

Homerism says the glass is half full and Kalil will finally beast out and that Peppers will have 8+ sacks, Mike Adams will be an upgrade over Harper and Moving Coleman back to FS will return him to pro bowl form.  Munnerlyn is a beast nickel and missing piece to the corner rotation

Realism says- Kalil has largely sucked his whole career, Peppers is 37, Mike Adams is 36, Coleman going to back to 2015 form is plausible but shouldn't be counted as a fact. Did anybody care or sweat it when Munnerlyn left a couple years ago? Is he better now or the same or worse?

If we are better based solely off free agency it's still a short term solution just as 2015 was. 

Bottom line is the offseason is still young and we have more questions than answers at this point. I suspect after day 2 of the draft your bipolar tendency will swing back in the favor of being happy. However we need to see results on the field.

The Panthers finished last in the division with 6 wins while only winning 1 game in the division for a reason.

The Panthers have yet to address the 2 biggest weaknesses that led to their 2016 downfall. They can strengthen the rest of the team all they want, but until they fix the 2 major weaknesses, opposing teams will easily avoid the Panthers strengths and be in every game (if not carrying the lead) going into the 4th quarter.

1 hour ago, panther4life said:

Well first of all it's definetly possible to be better and still 3/4 in the NFC south. We were that bad last year and those who didn't see it coming were being blind homers.

Secondly the offseason is the land of eternal hope for every fan base. For us is breaks down like this.

Homerism vs realism. 

Homerism says the glass is half full and Kalil will finally beast out and that Peppers will have 8+ sacks, Mike Adams will be an upgrade over Harper and Moving Coleman back to FS will return him to pro bowl form.  Munnerlyn is a beast nickel and missing piece to the corner rotation

Realism says- Kalil has largely sucked his whole career, Peppers is 37, Mike Adams is 36, Coleman going to back to 2015 form is plausible but shouldn't be counted as a fact. Did anybody care or sweat it when Munnerlyn left a couple years ago? Is he better now or the same or worse?

If we are better based solely off free agency it's still a short term solution just as 2015 was. 

Bottom line is the offseason is still young and we have more questions than answers at this point. I suspect after day 2 of the draft your bipolar tendency will swing back in the favor of being happy. However we need to see results on the field.

Again, Cameron Jerrell Newton, a man with one year of major college football starting experience, will be entering year 7 healthy, rested, and motivated.  The average age of Super Bowl winning QBs is 30 and he's inching closer to greatness.  We are improved for these reasons alone.

Just now, TheRed said:

Should have won it either way you slice it. Kicker might bite us in the ass again this year. It's a definite concern.

If Gano is our kicker this year I think I'm going to lose my mind.  There have been a lot of kicker aqusitions this offseason and I can only hope ours is coming.  The fact that he was not asked to restructure like Lee hopefully means the inevitable death knell after we get our man next month.

Just now, Nails said:

If Gano is our kicker this year I think I'm going to lose my mind.  There have been a lot of kicker aqusitions this offseason and I can only hope ours is coming.  The fact that he was not asked to restructure like Lee hopefully means the inevitable death knell after we get our man next month.

Gano basically has the highest cap hit of any kicker in the NFL right now. The contract was a big gamble, and I didn't understand why Gettleman went all in with him the way he did. Should have signed him to 2 years max. Instead now we're basically stuck with him. But, bup bup bup bup.

3 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Gano basically has the highest cap hit of any kicker in the NFL right now. The contract was a big gamble, and I didn't understand why Gettleman went all in with him the way he did. Should have signed him to 2 years max. Instead now we're basically stuck with him. But, bup bup bup bup.

Everyone makes mistakes.  But we can't double down on it, either for my sanity or the team's success.

Lots of talk about Gano.  

After the Bucs fiasco in drafting a K in the 2nd round last year, it almost seems ludicrous to draft a kicker (at least in the early rounds), but I'm curious.

Are there any kickers out there on the radar that any of you would like to see us draft - say in round 5 or below?

1 minute ago, Nails said:

Everyone makes mistakes.  But we can't double down on it, either for my sanity or the team's success.

I definitely like Gettleman, and approve of most of his moves, but our complacency with the kicker position should be a concern for all Panthers fans.

All I can do at this point is hope that it works out. I know people are basically blaming Gano's suckage last season on a nagging foot injury, but he's been missing basic kicks, and extra points all along. And some of those kicks in 2016 it wouldn't have mattered if he only had one foot and a peg leg, he was flat out shanking kicks. He's a good guy, but I fear we are simply putting off the inevitable at this point.

11 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Lots of talk about Gano.  

After the Bucs fiasco in drafting a K in the 2nd round last year, it almost seems ludicrous to draft a kicker (at least in the early rounds), but I'm curious.

Are there any kickers out there on the radar that any of you would like to see us draft - say in round 5 or below?

Florida State kickers.  No position and no school should be so avoided.  You think people would know by now.

I really don't care as long as it's not Gano.  He simply must go.  The Patriots let Vinatieri go for an unknown named Stephen Gostkowski out of Memphis.  In answer to your question, Zane Gonzalez is clearly worth a 5th if not 4th, and I'd MUCH rather have Dan Carpenter if we insist on a vet.

I'd say it's a carry.  I believe we have a better DL situation with a draft pick hopefully coming into the equation.  

The OL feels the same.  A question mark at LT even though we signed a guy to potentially be our long term answer.  RT looks to be Daryl Williams job pending more moves.  

Secondary is improved.  Tre is no longer a starter and we have 2 experienced at each spot with flexibility to draft a center fielder or box safety.  

I like our WR signings but that position is a carry as well.  

We've set ourselves to draft BPA this year better than last season so a few good draft picks could really thrust the team forward.   

Archived