• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My annual fullback man crush

Jeremy Igo

10 hours ago, sanjay_rajput said:

He seems like a solid pickup but either way having competition will be a great thing for a position that has been neglected for awhile.

Those plays were a hell of a lot better than anything Shula does too.

But yea Darrel Young has been a pretty good receiver when he's gotten the chance and I do like the kid from VT. I also miss Lee Ward I just wonder what the issue there was...I'd have him over Tolbert last year and I don't give a fug what you think about me as an armchair GM or whatever nonsense.

My team with Lee Ward would be better than yours with Tolbert.

11 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Sam Rogers

Virgin Tech

Do want

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/03/14/carolina-panthers-draft-sam-rogers/

Forgot ST ace. Can step in as upback in punt coverage day one. Likely starts on kickoffs too. He is a swiss army knife like Tolbert on offense and ST. 

His ST alone will get him work in the league. His ability to play a variety of dirty work roles on Offense would be familiar for Shula's use of Tolbert. He is a cross between Brockel and Tolbert. 

13 hours ago, The Huddler said:

I'm a tech fan and have been my whole life

Sam is an undersized guy who we didn't even use as a fullback. He's basically a slow white RB

has a ton of heart and grit but I feel he would get eaten alive on this level. You watch his running highlights its easy to be like WPAH he's a fullback but we pretty much used him as a RB

an NFL Dlineman wpuld eat him alive.

Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech 
 Height: 5-10. Weight: 231. Arm: 29.63. Hand 9.63. 
 Projected 40 Time: 4.79. 
 Projected Round (2017): 5-7. 

2/25/17: In 2016, Rogers had 67 carries for 283 yards - 4.2 average - and two touchdowns rushing along with 24 receptions for 301 yards and four touchdowns receiving. He also threw a touchdown pass. Rogers could be a mismatch weapon in an NFL offense as defenses often sleep on fullbacks. He also is a solid blocker as well, but could stand to add more strength to pack a punch at the point of attack. Rogers was decent at the Senior Bowl. Teams think he is draftable late on Day 3. 

7/30/16: In 2015, Rogers racked up 61 carries for 260 yards with 16 receptions for 193 yards. He also had two scores on the ground and two through the air. 

There was a rare sight in the 2015 season opener - between Ohio State versus Virginia Tech - with a breakout performance by a fullback. Rogers was incredible against the Buckeyes. He ripped off a nice 16-yard run early in the game, hit a block on two defenders to spring his back for a long run, and then caught a 51-yard touchdown on a wheel route with a superb run after the catch. Rogers finished that game with 23 yards rushing on three carries and two receptions for 54 yards. He showed some real talent for a fullback. 

The former walk-on Rogers won the starting fullback job in 2014 and caught 12 passes for 78 yards with five carries for nine yards. He needs to add weight for the NFL. 

From Walter Football.  The point here is that he has all the necessary skills to be a mismatch.  He is a great blocker, just undersized for the league.  If there's anything you can change about a fullback prospect at the next level, it's gaining weight.  Again: see Tolbert.  Not that insane of an idea that he could put on 20 pounds, which would put him right where he needs to be.

Archived