• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My annual fullback man crush

Jeremy Igo

I've watched Rogers over his entire career.  Would absolutely love if we could get this kid late round or undrafted (miracle).  He is all heart, and <insert all of the rest of the white dude who appears slow but is deceivingly agile and fast stereotypes here>.  He can block, run, catch, juke, and has been a true leader in Tech's locker room.

In fact, Igo, did I give you my mancrush?

https://twitter.com/hurricanes717/status/837641293945782272

22 minutes ago, London Loves Luke said:

I got to admit, this kid looks pretty damn tiny on a college field. Appreciate he might have the heart and soul of a champion, but I suspect the first time he comes up against pep or cj in practice he's gonna get flattened so hard you'll need to serve him with blueberries and maple syrup.

Decent point but he does look about like Mike Tolbert did when he was a Charger/in college.  He was a much smaller RB before we got him and he added all the weight.

1 hour ago, Bronn said:

But in all actuality, FB is a dying breed in modern offenses.

It'll be back.  Like anything in football, it's cyclical.  In fact, I think it's already starting.  With the resurgence of the RB's, I think you'll see more teams use the FB again. 

1 hour ago, Mvp2014 said:

I just want a tough af intimidating blocker thats 240+. Straight punisher.  Leave the running and catching for hbacks and wideouts.  

If you have a guy that can do that and is agile for his size, a la the Tolbert of a few years ago, and they're lining up as a decoy receiver against the bigger guy they're hitting in the mouth every play and they can also juke/run past them, that's where you get a serious mismatch.  We had it with Tolbert and it was amazing back when our offense used it correctly and didn't just throw a 250 pound FB in as a spell RB, which is truly mind-numbing...almost as weird as having one of the fastest dudes in the league that can't catch line up at WR1 90% of the time instead of putting him in the slot against a slower LB/worse corner and relying on that for several ye--God I hate Shula.

26 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

If you have a guy that can do that and is agile for his size, a la the Tolbert of a few years ago, and they're lining up as a decoy receiver against the bigger guy they're hitting in the mouth every play and they can also juke/run past them, that's where you get a serious mismatch.  We had it with Tolbert and it was amazing back when our offense used it correctly and didn't just throw a 250 pound FB in as a spell RB, which is truly mind-numbing...almost as weird as having one of the fastest dudes in the league that can't catch line up at WR1 90% of the time instead of putting him in the slot against a slower LB/worse corner and relying on that for several ye--God I hate Shula.

I just think blocking should be a fullbacks strength.  I want that to be his most natural skillset.  

I'm definitely biased as a Tech alum, but Rogers has the perfect work ethic / mentality for a fullback. Walked on to Virginia Tech, ended up earning scholarship and becoming a captain and vital piece of the offense.
He has the skill set that if he had gone to say a Western Carolina, he would have been a successful running back.
I think he would be aggressive in putting on weight and strength for a professional team and could easily play around 245, and be just like Hoover was for us!

As a Tech fan you took the words out of my mouth.

He can catch out of the backfield (good for a FB, nothing Reggie Bush etc). Which Carolina likes to try and do, you could keep him in to block on 3rd down, and have the flexibility of handing the ball off (and not gain just 1 yard like Tolbert) or swing him out for a pass.

Fuente was the best thing for Rodgers. I know he was a Beamer guy, and is the prime example of what Beamer wanted at the program, but Fuente's offense basically showcased Rodgers skill set and helped him go to the combine....I love Beamer, but his offense would have kept Rodgers in to block and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

6 hours ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Also on the post in the front page about having no fullback beside Johnson isn't Darrel Young  a FB?

But this guy is a good prospect in the 5th or 6th round especially if we are going to more of a traditional run game.

I really have a hard time seeing Cam doing that. He always looks so awkward when under center.

9 hours ago, sanjay_rajput said:

He seems like a solid pickup but either way having competition will be a great thing for a position that has been neglected for awhile.

My only problem with this video is that i dont think that our OC is creative enough to use Young like that. I hope im wrong but that doesnt happen to often...

I'm a tech fan and have been my whole life

Sam is an undersized guy who we didn't even use as a fullback. He's basically a slow white RB

has a ton of heart and grit but I feel he would get eaten alive on this level. You watch his running highlights its easy to be like WPAH he's a fullback but we pretty much used him as a RB

an NFL Dlineman wpuld eat him alive.

Archived