• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making sense of the Ealy trade...

Jeremy Igo

28 minutes ago, HarambeLivesOn said:

which is why you offer a qualifying offer then let him walk and get a comp pick. Not trade him to the patriots for peanuts.

incredibly stupid

You clearly  don't know how this works

54 minutes ago, HarambeLivesOn said:

which is why you offer a qualifying offer then let him walk and get a comp pick. Not trade him to the patriots for peanuts.

incredibly stupid

We got the equivalent value of a late 4th or early 5th round pick out of him. That's not peanuts.

plus, there are only 4 tender levels - 1st round, 2nd round, original round (for Ealy that would also be a 2nd), and right of 1st refusal. No one would part with a 1st or 2nd round pick for Ealy so if we tendered him he would've been back in 2018. A comp pick for Ealy was never in the cards. We chose to move on and got what we could.

Ealy was another failed DG project. He spent the past 3 seasons trying to force feed Ealy into Rivera's first team DL. Glad he is gone. Too bad it cost the Panthers signing Peppers back 2 seasons ago. Seems like DG is being pressured to make moves he would not make before. That is how you make sense of the Ealy trade.

Now, the 1st team DE position is manned by DEs with Hurney's stamp on them after 5 seasons to address the DE position.

46 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Ealy was another failed DG project. He spent the past 3 seasons trying to force feed Ealy into Rivera's first team DL. Glad he is gone. Too bad it cost the Panthers signing Peppers back 2 seasons ago. Seems like DG is being pressured to make moves he would not make before. That is how you make sense of the Ealy trade.

Now, the 1st team DE position is manned by DEs with Hurney's stamp on them after 5 seasons to address the DE position.

bobross-profile_image-0b9dd167a9bb16b5-3

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

Thanks for the compliment. That is takes more to trade up means that chart isn't close to reality. It may be how someone values trades, but go back through most trades recently and they usually compare the values to the NFL chart and most times it's pretty close.

All I can say is that if that chart values 1 as the same as our 8, 40 and 5th round pick, then it isn't based in reality and that's where I like to live. If the chart shows you the value of the picks but doesn't show you the actual trade value then it isn't useful for the purposes we are thinking about, draft trades.

You are literally missing the whole point 

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

Thanks for the compliment. That is takes more to trade up means that chart isn't close to reality. It may be how someone values trades, but go back through most trades recently and they usually compare the values to the NFL chart and most times it's pretty close.

All I can say is that if that chart values 1 as the same as our 8, 40 and 5th round pick, then it isn't based in reality and that's where I like to live. If the chart shows you the value of the picks but doesn't show you the actual trade value then it isn't useful for the purposes we are thinking about, draft trades.

I guess if you want to make bad trades than yah sure, use the old chart as much as you want. 

Archived