• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making sense of the Ealy trade...

Jeremy Igo

31 minutes ago, Man Strength said:

This chart shows both the updated "correct" value and the old Cowboys chart that everyone always uses for this. The middle column is what I would consider more accurate in terms of value. DG being an old school guy likely uses the right column version. That was created by the Cowboys in the 70s purely based on historical trades up to that point and not based on anything more insightful. 

Thanks for pointing that middle column out. I had honestly glossed over it. Thought those other numbers were familiar...lol.

We both agree the old one is junk. But why is this one guys system THE correct one. This one looks as flawed, if not more, than the old ones. What evidence is there that any teams give any credence to this list? I'm just asking. I just haven't heard of it. Which is possible.

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Thanks for pointing that middle column out. I had honestly glossed over it. Thought those other numbers were familiar...lol.

We both agree the old one is junk. But why is this one guys system THE correct one. This one looks as flawed, if not more, than the old ones. What evidence is there that any teams give any credence to this list? I'm just asking. I just haven't heard of it. Which is possible.

You may be right on it not being perfect.  But I know a lot of smart guys, like Bill barnwell, use this as their reference. It's better than the old one.  Here is the explanation http://www.footballperspective.com/creating-a-draft-value-chart-part-ii/

4 minutes ago, Man Strength said:

You may be right on it not being perfect.  But I know a lot of smart guys, like Bill barnwell, use this as their reference. It's better than the old one.  Here is the explanation http://www.footballperspective.com/creating-a-draft-value-chart-part-ii/

Uhhh...I was told there would be no math.

Now my head hurts. Nothing's perfect. It's a good read and different take. Can we call it a 5th and you promise never to post make me think too much again. It's Saturday man. Thanks for the link. 

Probably most interesting to me is that the move increased our pick value by 40 points, or a mid-late 4th round pick. Two ways of looking at that:

Pessimistic: If that's Ealy's value, could we have traded him for a fourth round pick instead?

Optimistic: We were able to move up the value of a 4th without actually giving up a 4th.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Honestly new England has the most unique draft board by far. For starters they only have about 40 players on their board, where's most teams have 150. About HALF of that 40, have undrafted grades on many other teams board. Bill's just doesn't care about anyones opinion but his, 15+ years of 12 wins seasons shows he knows something. FYI bill is the goat and all, but he's terrible at drafting players. Great at getting future picks though.

So moving back eight spots doesn't effect them at all truly, whereas it could be huge for the Panthers.

I love the trade. This guys comp wasn't going to net a 3rd like Norman, Hardy. He fuging sucks. We really could've used him getting swallowed up by OTs all year and got that 6th round comp. What a joy. Holy fuging poo, he's a fuging stiff as a board, straight line player 

He was not going to see the field with Peppers, Addison, and Johnson here. CUT the motherfuger was going to be CUT. You goddamn chicken littles.

On 12 March 2017 at 3:28 PM, stbugs said:

Awesome that smart guys use it, but according to your chart we should be able to trade 8, 40 and our 5th to get Myles Garrett at 1. I'm pretty sure it won't.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Again, smart guy, this chart doesn't necessarily show what it takes to get a trade done. It shows you the values of the picks. If someone wants more than the value in the chart, then on average it's a bad deal. 

That is takes more shows why it's such a bad idea to trade up. 

20 minutes ago, HarambeLivesOn said:

which is why you offer a qualifying offer then let him walk and get a comp pick. Not trade him to the patriots for peanuts.

incredibly stupid

One, you don't give qualifying offers to every FA. That's for UDFAs. 

And unless Ealy shows out, he ain't getting a contract big enough to get us more than maybe a 5th. And that's if we don't sign any FAs of our own. 

Maybe you should brush up on the process before calling people stupid?

Archived