• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making sense of the Ealy trade...

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

To extend Igo's thought--8 spots= 40 points on the trade chart, which is a 4th rounder--so basically, we got a 4th round value for Ealy. You have to think of the draft trade chart as currency.  Sounds better that way--but you have to look at this as the GM would....

Ealy is in the final year of his contract, so Carolina would have had to make a big decision about him at the end of the season.  The Panthers must not have been satisfied with his development, deciding to go in another direction.  With Peppers and CJ and Addison on board, Ealy was likely to become an UFA at the end of the season.   So, instead of wasting Ealy for a season and letting him walk, we get Peppers for a year and a 4th round value. 

That is smart, if you ask me.  The next step has to be adding a player who can develop for a season, eventually taking reps from JP and maybe CJ by the end of the season--a natural "passing of the torch".  So  instead of having to make the decision to re-sign Ealy or not, you have 4 years left on a rookie deal that probably is more productive than what Ealy's prodcution-cost ratio would be.

Nice move, DG.  If Ealy has a great year, then there is 2 ways of looking at it.  Was it the system?  Would Ealy want top DE money for one season of production under his belt?  This was a gamble, and DG made the smart and safest play.

This is an excellent point. A 4th rounder for Ealy? Hell yea I take that everyday.

26 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Problem was that a while back he was in no financial position to do so.

I would say this is the very first year where he has had all the leeway he needed to work the FA market as he saw fit.

Well that wasn't the problem last year. Looks like he's starting to learn from his mistakes.

If we trade up for McCaffery I'll be sick to my stomach, especially after giving up a DE to do it. We need a DE still and I wouldn't love to see us take Adams with our first pick and come back up for a DE or Howard or maybe even a WR that can actually get separation. But a RB? We could find great players in the 2nd round and 3rd round to contribute without giving anything up. Would hate if that's what we went with

14 minutes ago, Man Strength said:

Value is that of a 6th rounder    http://www.footballperspective.com/draft-value-chart/ unless you want to use the value chart created in the 70s (I sure don't!)

so so we got a 6th rounder for Kony, not a 4th 

Try and move up 8 spots, at the beginning of the 3rd round, with a 6th rounder and see how far you get. We had to give up our 4th, and move 20 spots back in the 5th round to move up 16 spots in the bottom half of round 3 last year. 

14 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Try and move up 8 spots, at the beginning of the 3rd round, with a 6th rounder and see how far you get. We had to give up our 4th, and move 20 spots back in the 5th round to move up 16 spots in the bottom half of round 3 last year. 

I never said gettleman was Good at trading. There is also a very very big difference between what it may take to do a trade and the actual value of the picks. Mutually exclusive data sets. But if you look at more recent drafts you see more teams using the value in the link rather than the old Cowboys chart everyone here has been referencing 

I will also say that I think gettleman is great at scouting players and below avg at  understanding pick value etc. He consistently goes against best practice that has been proven over and over again. He is good at evaluating and thus over values his ability to hit on picks. We have among the fewest number of total draft picks since he took over. One absolute fact is that quantity is a key ingredient to getting value from drafts 

1 minute ago, Man Strength said:

I never said gettleman was Good at trading. There is also a very very big difference between what it may take to do a trade and the actual value of the picks. Mutually exclusive data sets. But if you look at more recent drafts you see more teams using the value in the link rather than the old Cowboys chart everyone here has been referencing 

Show me any trade where a 6th rounder got anyone close to 8 spots in that area. No one with any sense has looked at that old trade value chart in over a decade. 

And according to the chart you provided, those 8 spots are worth 40 points. Which would be pick 132. That's late 4th round. Am I missing something here? 

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Show me any trade where a 6th rounder got anyone close to 8 spots in that area. No one with any sense has looked at that old trade value chart in over a decade. 

And according to the chart you provided, those 8 spots are worth 40 points. Which would be pick 132. That's late 4th round. Am I missing something here? 

This chart shows both the updated "correct" value and the old Cowboys chart that everyone always uses for this. The middle column is what I would consider more accurate in terms of value. DG being an old school guy likely uses the right column version. That was created by the Cowboys in the 70s purely based on historical trades up to that point and not based on anything more insightful. 

Archived