• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making sense of the Ealy trade...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Norway said:

I don't like how Gettleman has made a new normal of trading up to grab a player. The cost is to high, especially in such a deep draft class as this one. We traded up for Williams, Benwikere and Funchess, and so far these trades has not been very successful. We also traded for Worley who showed some promise last season, but too early to tell.  

Gettleman has now orchestrated four drafts for Panthers with four trades upwards. Until now you can't say it has been a huge success, and I'm therefore somewhat sceptical of trading up again. Sit tight and choose the best player available at that spot, unless it is a player you absolutely must have. Otherwise the cost is to high in my opinion...

yeah I'd really like to see us follow the Cleveland model and have a bad team but make the draft really exciting and stuff

Browns have it all figured out man. You win the super bowl they talk about you for a week. You have the first pick in the draft they talk about you for 3 months.

Yeah, the most plausible explanation for this trade at this point is simply increasing draft capital. If you're targeting a specific player, you're not making a trade to move up 8 spots in the early 3rd/late 2nd in mid-March. Gettleman has shown a willingness to trade up in the past. I think we've traded up in the last two drafts at some point. Wouldn't be a surprise at all to see us package some picks to jump back into the late 1st to go after someone. Plus, Gettleman loves his 5th year option for 1st round picks.

Do NOT want McCaffrey. He may be a decent pro, but that's his ceiling IMO. Plus, I don't have faith in the staff to utilize him correctly. 

Use #40 to trade up from 8 (sup, Titans)...or package the 2 2nd rounders to get into the mid 20's and grab BPA, whether it's OJ if still there, a DE, Safety...or even one of the OTs nobody is mentioning as options in the 1st.  

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

My thoughts on why the Panthers dealt Ealy to move up only 8 spots. 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/03/11/carolina-panthers-trade-nfl-draft/

You didn't mention what McCaffrey would do for our Special teams as well. Instant up grade in the return game. Dude is a true triple threat.

I swear I would have Gettleman's babies if he pulled this off.

Was just thinking that there is only one elite player in this years draft,  Garrett

Would Cleveland take 8 this year and next years first and Derek Anderson to tutor their new QB, for swapping #1 and #8?

If we are picking in late 20's next season or even low thirties, it might be worth the gamble for us, especially since they are wanting to collect picks so badly

6 minutes ago, stirs said:

Was just thinking that there is only one elite player in this years draft,  Garrett

Would Cleveland take 8 this year and next years first and Derek Anderson to tutor their new QB, for swapping #1 and #8?

If we are picking in late 20's next season or even low thirties, it might be worth the gamble for us, especially since they are wanting to collect picks so badly

DA has no trade value. It'd take a lot more than #8, DA, and next year's 1st to get to #1. There have been some insane trades made at the top of the draft in recent years. It's only worth it if you don't have a franchise QB and you think you're getting not just a franchise QB out of it but an elite franchise QB.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

My thoughts on why the Panthers dealt Ealy to move up only 8 spots. 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/03/11/carolina-panthers-trade-nfl-draft/

You have a good write up, but even without reading i, it was pretty obvious why they did it, 8 spots isn't poo unless you're trying to either add more depth though draft, or package it as more ammunition to move up, I'd love to see us with 2 1st's, fingers crossed

39 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Do NOT want McCaffrey. He may be a decent pro, but that's his ceiling IMO. Plus, I don't have faith in the staff to utilize him correctly. 

Use #40 to trade up from 8 (sup, Titans)...or package the 2 2nd rounders to get into the mid 20's and grab BPA, whether it's OJ if still there, a DE, Safety...or even one of the OTs nobody is mentioning as options in the 1st.  

This would be my biggest concern with McCaffrey. I think the guy has the potential to be a VERY good pro, but you're limiting him if you play him as a traditional RB. I think you use him as an all purpose weapon kind of like Minnesota did with Percy Harvin. Forget the constraints of traditional positional roles and just try to get the guy the football in space as much as you can.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

After yesterday I'm not sure we can look to Gettleman's past to figure out what he will do this year.

Well it looks like he has at least gone back to acquiring free agents to put us in better shape before the draft. That is what he said he was going to do a while back.

Would love to see if it was possible to trade our #8 to Cleveland (so they can jump Buffalo and take Deshaun Watson) and our 3rd round comp pick for their #12 overall and their mid-round 2nd rounder (52nd overall).

Then use the #12 to take OJ Howard.

Then use two of the (now) three 2nd rounders to jump into the lower 1st and take McCaffrey.

Superb.

Owl.

(Fantasy GM'ing rocks.)

3 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Well it looks like he has at least gone back to acquiring free agents to put us in better shape before the draft. That is what he said he was going to do a while back.

Problem was that a while back he was in no financial position to do so.

I would say this is the very first year where he has had all the leeway he needed to work the FA market as he saw fit.

Archived