• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making sense of the Ealy trade...

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

My thoughts on why the Panthers dealt Ealy to move up only 8 spots. 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/03/11/carolina-panthers-trade-nfl-draft/

You can look at it another way. Even though it is only 8 slots it is equivalent to a little more than 4th round comp pick on that chart. If Ealy were a free agent today the comp pick would certainly not exceed a 4th. Then it just looks like an pretty even trade and all we did was accelerated our compensation a year (and already used it to trade up). 

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

My thoughts on why the Panthers dealt Ealy to move up only 8 spots. 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/03/11/carolina-panthers-trade-nfl-draft/

Makes perfect sense...tempering my feeling for Gman and looking forward to a good maybe great draft...in that scenario I'm hoping Solomon Thomas is the first pick...many choices to like but Thomas seems to be best fit and most sensible...

8 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Star: Solid

KK: Solid

Kugz: Never did a thing 

Klein: No longer with us (keep in mind he likes to build through the draft and keep his own)

Barner: Never did a thing

KB: I think he's legit many don't but I like him

Ealy: Never showed anything, had bust written all over him and I said so on draft day. Now playing for the Pats and traded for 8 spots instead of being cut

Trai: Solid

Boston: Just signed a 36 year old safety to replace him and will target another in this draft

Bene: A mediocre nickle that we ended up cutting last year 

Gaffney: Nothing

Shaq: Again, I like him but we should've addressed an actual need. There's a real possibility that his contract will run up before TD retires. Not how you spend a 1st rounder

Devin: The Kony Ealy of offense. Like Ealy this guy has done nothing to show he belongs and hasn't progressed from his days at Michigan. Now I'm sure you're going to argue "he's got all the tools and the potential is there" and that's why I said with "each passing year" in my original statement because I used to have to hear the same blind homer jibberish about Ealy. 

Daryl: We signed Kalil and hope Oher comes back to play RT. It's year 3, we should've been able to give this job to DW by now. 

David Mayo: irrelevant. Unless you're on this board you most likely don't know who this guy is.

CAP: RB is a really bad need for this team and part of it is because CAP was never able to show anything.

2016:

Vernon: Showed nothing his rookie year, but like this entire draft class it's too early to tell. I have hope for Butler and liked him coming out of college, let's hope he can replace KK.

Bradberry: showed some nice things

Worley: like Bradberry showed some things way too early to tell

Sanchez: won't even make the team

Sandland: see Sanchez

Prior to 2016 Gettleman has only found 4 actual starters. Just because they start on the Panthers doesn't make them legit NFL starters. Like we saw with Ealy, Boston, Williams and possibly Funchess they're looking to replace these guys.

2016 class for arguments sake is to early to call. We saw flashes from Bene his rookie year and look where we are now. So unless you want to go back and forth on that one I'll just leave it. 

This isn't meant to bash DG but it is meant to have some realize this guy really needs to figure it out this year or it could  very well be his last. 

Before I say anything, respect the effort, whether I disagree with anything or not.

What I see is out of 7 top 3 round draft picks so far(2013-15), He has hit big on 3(Star,KK, and Trai) solid on on(KB) and solid on Shaq, whose value fully shows this year. TD has already stated he is ready to give Shaq more snaps. He took a very good player. Ealy is a miss, not a bust. End of 2nd round is 50/50 finding a starter, so 3 average years and a mid 4th value back is not a complete loss. That would be Funchess, at this point. Should even attach an extra pick to his bust-mess. 

So that's 5 for 7(or 8) on top 100 guys. One miss, and one pending disaster. 6 of 8 picks were at #25 or lower in each round. Two that weren't were big hits.

Two 4th round guys, Williams is an incomplete. Boston is about what you would expect a late 4th round Safety to be. Not a bust. No one that late is really. Kugs got hurt. No blame anywhere. Just happens.

5th guys have at least contributed. And your Klein example is horrible. Find a guy who signs as a starter with another team, the first chance he had, and use it against his drafting prowess. Everything else is very fair. That was not. Anyway, Bene was decent until he broke his leg, Mayo is coming along in exactly the role we drafted him for, and CAP has done what a 5th round comp pick should do. Help out for a few games, and be better than the UDFAs we ran out in 2014. 

I'm not seeing how a miss on Ealy, and one huge bust, tears apart 5 solid or better picks and solid values in later rounds. Good talk though.

To extend Igo's thought--8 spots= 40 points on the trade chart, which is a 4th rounder--so basically, we got a 4th round value for Ealy. You have to think of the draft trade chart as currency.  Sounds better that way--but you have to look at this as the GM would....

Ealy is in the final year of his contract, so Carolina would have had to make a big decision about him at the end of the season.  The Panthers must not have been satisfied with his development, deciding to go in another direction.  With Peppers and CJ and Addison on board, Ealy was likely to become an UFA at the end of the season.   So, instead of wasting Ealy for a season and letting him walk, we get Peppers for a year and a 4th round value. 

That is smart, if you ask me.  The next step has to be adding a player who can develop for a season, eventually taking reps from JP and maybe CJ by the end of the season--a natural "passing of the torch".  So  instead of having to make the decision to re-sign Ealy or not, you have 4 years left on a rookie deal that probably is more productive than what Ealy's prodcution-cost ratio would be.

Nice move, DG.  If Ealy has a great year, then there is 2 ways of looking at it.  Was it the system?  Would Ealy want top DE money for one season of production under his belt?  This was a gamble, and DG made the smart and safest play.

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Ealy had 14 sacks in 3 seasons, that's god awful for a guy whose never faced a double team in his life.

It's funny Patriots fans think they got a steal cause "he was a beast in the super bowl hurr durr". Completely disregarding his entire career 

Its possible, Ealy is really a frustrating guy because he has flashed. Still its a win win for both sides because at this point he was worth about what we got for him.

2 hours ago, pstall said:

The Patriots are flippers.  Just like an investor who finds the worst house on the best street, they will get great production out of Ealy. Its what they do.

Maybe, what NE really knows is they are terrible at drafting. A bird in hand is there motto.

2 hours ago, Cyberjag said:

I know there's hype about McAffrey in the linked story, but the middle of the second half of the first round is prime OT territory in this draft.

The 2nd sets us up with a number of scenarios. I think that's exactly what Dave wants too. This year more than any other we have extreme flexibly.

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

Still don't get it. The difference according to the value chart is moving up to 23/24 vs. 25/26. Doesn't make much sense unless we felt we're just had to get ahead of Houston for some reason.

@Jeremy Igo I'm fine with the trade, but I'm with WUnderhill...do u really think a difference of the 23 vs 25 gets us McCaffrey??

1 hour ago, Norway said:

I don't like how Gettleman has made a new normal of trading up to grab a player. The cost is to high, especially in such a deep draft class as this one. We traded up for Williams, Benwikere and Funchess, and so far these trades has not been very successful. We also traded for Worley who showed some promise last season, but too early to tell.  

Gettleman has now orchestrated four drafts for Panthers with four trades upwards. Until now you can't say it has been a huge success, and I'm therefore somewhat sceptical of trading up again. Sit tight and choose the best player available at that spot, unless it is a player you absolutely must have. Otherwise the cost is to high in my opinion...

yeah I'd really like to see us follow the Cleveland model and have a bad team but make the draft really exciting and stuff

Browns have it all figured out man. You win the super bowl they talk about our for a week. You have the first pick in the draft they talk about you for 3 months.

Archived