• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making sense of the Ealy trade...

Jeremy Igo

I don't think the move was made to target any particular player. 

Gettlemen accomplished two thing with this trade:

1. Unload and get some compensation for a player on the last year of of his rookie contract that was unlikely to be resigned.
  2. create options to make moves in the draft if the opportunity arises.

Too many other factors beyond his control to go much deeper than that.

I think we may be over thinking. This draft is being touted as one of the best DE, S, CB drafts in a long time. We need 2 of those 3 positions immediately and for the future. Ealy wasn't gonna get it done and we now have 4 picks in the first 100 as well as the ammo to move around should we need to.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

51 minutes ago, Toomers said:

A statement with absolutely no truth to it. Let's hear your argument since you made the statement. I will be happy to show you how wrong you are in many ways.

Star: Solid

KK: Solid

Kugz: Never did a thing 

Klein: No longer with us (keep in mind he likes to build through the draft and keep his own)

Barner: Never did a thing

KB: I think he's legit many don't but I like him

Ealy: Never showed anything, had bust written all over him and I said so on draft day. Now playing for the Pats and traded for 8 spots instead of being cut

Trai: Solid

Boston: Just signed a 36 year old safety to replace him and will target another in this draft

Bene: A mediocre nickle that we ended up cutting last year 

Gaffney: Nothing

Shaq: Again, I like him but we should've addressed an actual need. There's a real possibility that his contract will run up before TD retires. Not how you spend a 1st rounder

Devin: The Kony Ealy of offense. Like Ealy this guy has done nothing to show he belongs and hasn't progressed from his days at Michigan. Now I'm sure you're going to argue "he's got all the tools and the potential is there" and that's why I said with "each passing year" in my original statement because I used to have to hear the same blind homer jibberish about Ealy. 

Daryl: We signed Kalil and hope Oher comes back to play RT. It's year 3, we should've been able to give this job to DW by now. 

David Mayo: irrelevant. Unless you're on this board you most likely don't know who this guy is.

CAP: RB is a really bad need for this team and part of it is because CAP was never able to show anything.

2016:

Vernon: Showed nothing his rookie year, but like this entire draft class it's too early to tell. I have hope for Butler and liked him coming out of college, let's hope he can replace KK.

Bradberry: showed some nice things

Worley: like Bradberry showed some things way too early to tell

Sanchez: won't even make the team

Sandland: see Sanchez

Prior to 2016 Gettleman has only found 4 actual starters. Just because they start on the Panthers doesn't make them legit NFL starters. Like we saw with Ealy, Boston, Williams and possibly Funchess they're looking to replace these guys.

2016 class for arguments sake is to early to call. We saw flashes from Bene his rookie year and look where we are now. So unless you want to go back and forth on that one I'll just leave it. 

This isn't meant to bash DG but it is meant to have some realize this guy really needs to figure it out this year or it could  very well be his last. 

I see alot of praises in here for the Pats and BB - rightfuly so. But the praises they get for these pre-draft trades, I don't applaud at all. I think is a BIG mistake! And TBH - It's a good thing for us...   :-)

Do you guys realize they now traded away their 1st and 2nd round picks and their first pick is going to be "our" pick 3-8(72)? Can you imagine the huddle reactions if Gettleman would have put us in this position - This year? To get Cooks (granted, he will have succes in their system - but which WR wouldn't? ) and Ealy???

In my opinion, this draft class is loaded in the first 2 rounds with high quality talent and PLAYMAKERS in almost all positions except QB, which we don't care about anyway. Oh well, OT is not the best either, and this is a pitty. Only time will tell if I'm right of course, but this is THE year imo to have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds. Add to that, Gettleman has now been using FA to set up this draft perfectly to REALY go for BPA.

Guys - we WILL get at least 2 - maybe 3 day one HIGH QUALITY and YOUNG day one starters and cheap for the next 4-5 years. I'm pumped - you should be too!!

I don't like how Gettleman has made a new normal of trading up to grab a player. The cost is to high, especially in such a deep draft class as this one. We traded up for Williams, Benwikere and Funchess, and so far these trades has not been very successful. We also traded for Worley who showed some promise last season, but too early to tell.  

Gettleman has now orchestrated four drafts for Panthers with four trades upwards. Until now you can't say it has been a huge success, and I'm therefore somewhat sceptical of trading up again. Sit tight and choose the best player available at that spot, unless it is a player you absolutely must have. Otherwise the cost is to high in my opinion...

7 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Star: Solid

KK: Solid

Kugz: Never did a thing 

Klein: No longer with us (keep in mind he likes to build through the draft and keep his own)

Barner: Never did a thing

KB: I think he's legit many don't but I like him

Ealy: Never showed anything, had bust written all over him and I said so on draft day. Now playing for the Pats and traded for 8 spots instead of being cut

Trai: Solid

Boston: Just signed a 36 year old safety to replace him and will target another in this draft

Bene: A mediocre nickle that we ended up cutting last year 

Gaffney: Nothing

Shaq: Again, I like him but we should've addressed an actual need. There's a real possibility that his contract will run up before TD retires. Not how you spend a 1st rounder

Devin: The Kony Ealy of offense. Like Ealy this guy has done nothing to show he belongs and hasn't progressed from his days at Michigan. Now I'm sure you're going to argue "he's got all the tools and the potential is there" and that's why I said with "each passing year" in my original statement because I used to have to hear the same blind homer jibberish about Ealy. 

Daryl: We signed Kalil and hope Oher comes back to play RT. It's year 3, we should've been able to give this job to DW by now. 

David Mayo: irrelevant. Unless you're on this board you most likely don't know who this guy is.

CAP: RB is a really bad need for this team and part of it is because CAP was never able to show anything.

2016:

Vernon: Showed nothing his rookie year, but like this entire draft class it's too early to tell. I have hope for Butler and liked him coming out of college, let's hope he can replace KK.

Bradberry: showed some nice things

Worley: like Bradberry showed some things way too early to tell

Sanchez: won't even make the team

Sandland: see Sanchez

Prior to 2016 Gettleman has only found 4 actual starters. Just because they start on the Panthers doesn't make them legit NFL starters. Like we saw with Ealy, Boston, Williams and possibly Funchess they're looking to replace these guys.

2016 class for arguments sake is to early to call. We saw flashes from Bene his rookie year and look where we are now. So unless you want to go back and forth on that one I'll just leave it. 

This isn't meant to bash DG but it is meant to have some realize this guy really needs to figure it out this year or it could  very well be his last. 

So just to makes sure we are all on the same page. Since 2013, the highest pick we had was 14. In saying that Gettleman has picked up the following in 4 years:

2: Probowl Players: KK & Turner 

5: Additional Starters:  Bradberry, Worley, Shaq, KB, Star & 6 if you want to include Norwell as an UDFA. So basically 8 total starters in 4 years. 

6: Solid Backups: Vernon(could be more), Mayo(good special teams and showed like our new Klein), Klein(you can't discount a good backup for 4 years), Funchess (make or break year), Daryl (solid backup RT). 

So yeah I guess I would take 2 PB players, 8 starters and 6 backups over a 4 yr period. Show me a team that drafts as late as we do and finds this. 

Lets say those picks can get us another 1st, awesome.

However, what would it take to move up to the #1 overall to get Myles? 

#8, 4th rounder, 2018 1st?

If we can get Myles and Mcaffrey this year, next years 1st rounder will be #32 overall. Is going for #1 worth it?

Archived