• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making sense of the Ealy trade...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

Ealy had 14 sacks in 3 seasons, that's god awful for a guy whose never faced a double team in his life.

It's funny Patriots fans think they got a steal cause "he was a beast in the super bowl hurr durr". Completely disregarding his entire career 

While it's easy to think the pats will come out good on this, I think the Panthers did ok.  I don't think Ealy fit with the plan and he was not really a Rivera or G man favorite.  Get something for him now and move on.  

I hope he performs for the Pats and wish him well but I don't think he was a good fit hère.   

6 minutes ago, sml1950 said:

I think the more likely senario to get 2 1st rounders would be to trade down from 8 to the teens and use that extra pick to trade up from 40, thus keeping the NE pick.  Unfortunately, things have to fall just right to get the trade partners.  Unlikely, but you never know.

agreed, i think Gettleman sees a lot of value at the end of the first and the whole second round and will try to get as many picks as possible in that range. Lot of starters of the future at positions we need. 

12 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

With each passing year Gettleman further proves what few of us suspect that he simply cannot draft very well.

Which should be very concerning since he likes to build through the draft. As we saw the last couple days FA is simply used as a temporary patch job

Wasn't there an article from ppf or something that showed we are one of the best drafting teams since gman came in?

I like your analysis on this. I've been saying that McCaffrey is the best fit for this team of top end offensive players. He's too good at too many things to not be our choice. RB, slot receiver, KR, PR. The move with the Patriots really does speak to a trade wherein McCaffrey will look like a good pick.

I still think we're looking at DE with our #8 pick in the draft. The signing of Johnson and Peppers bodes well for this year and would be a great teaching tandem for a young DE star.

Which DE is still the question, though.

38 minutes ago, stirs said:

My first thoughts were that Ealy had one season left and by this point he was not going to contribute a lot this coming season and we would not resign him, letting him walk away without anything in return.  So when someone offered something equivalent to an early 5th round pick, we took it.

Secondary to this is the scenario where we could move up.  It is waaay to early to be targeting a player in my opinion.

McCaffery could go at 15 and this whole thing would have been an exercise in futility.  If we were targeting, we would have set it up for draft day trades in my opinion

This was about getting rid of Kony and getting something, anything for him

We must have wanted to get rid of him really bad. 

I would have actually liked the deal if it had involved the 98th pick as opposed to the 72nd. I think we're going to cuss a lot between those two picks if we don't trade up, or down and pick up another pick in the second.

19 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

With each passing year Gettleman further proves what few of us suspect that he simply cannot draft very well.

Which should be very concerning since he likes to build through the draft. As we saw the last couple days FA is simply used as a temporary patch job

A statement with absolutely no truth to it. Let's hear your argument since you made the statement. I will be happy to show you how wrong you are in many ways.

48 minutes ago, pstall said:

I will bet you Ealy has a great season.  Win win

Pats get his stats and he gets a better contract. Not saying Pro Bowl but very good season. 

You have a PayPal? How much are you willing to bet?

want to ban bet me? I bet Ealy won't improve what so ever. 

28 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Haven't had your cup o' joe this morning, huh? Or did you spike it?

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

What productivity? What good contract? Mingo didn't do squat. And they didn't flip him for anything.

Kony has had the best DT duo in the NFL since he got drafted and wasn't able to produce.

Tim wright and Jonathan Cooper as well.  Two more players that weren't productive.  

Archived