• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making sense of the Ealy trade...

Jeremy Igo

13 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

What productivity? What good contract? Mingo didn't do squat. And they didn't flip him for anything.

Kony has had the best DT duo in the NFL since he got drafted and wasn't able to produce.

I will bet you Ealy has a great season.  Win win

Pats get his stats and he gets a better contract. Not saying Pro Bowl but very good season. 

1 minute ago, Adb6368 said:

Based on the value chart if we kept the 8th pick in the 3rd round the total value of the 2 picks still would have been enough to move into the first round again. I really do think this was about getting ealy off the books for whatever value the could find.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

What was Ealy's contract or is he still on his rookie deal?

4 minutes ago, pstall said:

I call it fall forwarding.  Better to miss trying then to miss doing nothing. 

Rings. 

Absolutely. They have a system that works. They can take chances. However, the Pats going for Ealy doesn't mean he's going to be great and we made a mistake. 

My first thoughts were that Ealy had one season left and by this point he was not going to contribute a lot this coming season and we would not resign him, letting him walk away without anything in return.  So when someone offered something equivalent to an early 5th round pick, we took it.

Secondary to this is the scenario where we could move up.  It is waaay to early to be targeting a player in my opinion.

McCaffery could go at 15 and this whole thing would have been an exercise in futility.  If we were targeting, we would have set it up for draft day trades in my opinion

This was about getting rid of Kony and getting something, anything for him

2 minutes ago, csx said:

Absolutely. They have a system that works. They can take chances. However, the Pats going for Ealy doesn't mean he's going to be great and we made a mistake. 

We have to talk this time next year. Only way to know.

Based on the value chart if we kept the 8th pick in the 3rd round the total value of the 2 picks still would have been enough to move into the first round again. I really do think this was about getting ealy off the books for whatever value the could find.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Ouch.. That does puncture Igos theory a bit.. I just hope we come out of the trade not looking like turds in a year or two..

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

With each passing year Gettleman further proves what few of us suspect that he simply cannot draft very well.

Which should be very concerning since he likes to build through the draft. As we saw the last couple days FA is simply used as a temporary patch job

I think the more likely senario to get 2 1st rounders would be to trade down from 8 to the teens and use that extra pick to trade up from 40, thus keeping the NE pick.  Unfortunately, things have to fall just right to get the trade partners.  Unlikely, but you never know.

Eh, I think it's just as likely he was looking to get whatever he could for a player he knew he wasn't gonna keep anyway. Moving up 8 spots into the second is better than an extra 5th or 6th or whatever we'd get for him straight up.  This was actually a very belicheckian move. 

Archived