• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman's Free Agency Gems: WR Russell Shepard - What He Brings To The Table

Saca312

So, amid the amazing flood of moves Gettleman has done the past 24 hours, there's one particular signing that I believe may pan to be one of our most significant ones. You may argue that bringing Peppers back, getting Captain Munnerlyn on a 4 year deal, having another Charles Johnson, having a solid veteran in Mike Adams, or even grabbing Matt Kalil are our key signings this offseason, but there's just one guy we grabbed that I believe will have a huge impact.

His name is Russell Shepard.

Image result for russell shepard

Now, I know many of you were probably like "who dat" when you saw his name pop up as a potential Panther. I probably would've been the same, if it weren't for the fact I grabbed him for a couple weeks in fantasy. He rose through the depth charts and became a solid contributor for the Bucs.

However, he's not just a WR. He's also a solid ST gunner who just happens to be one of the key leaders in Tampa. 

He's very highly regarded in Tampa, and his work ethic and strive to get better was something that seemed to radiate on everyone. He worked pretty dang hard to achieve to the point where he has now, and the sky's the limit to where he can be.

Tampa Bay fans certainly are not happy to hear about this move at all. They truly do believe this guy is something special. Take a look at a comment I came across:

This does suck. Whatever Carolina offered, we should have matched. Over the past 2 years, you could see his improvement as a receiver, and his special teams play was just that…special. Not to mention his leadership. At 26., it should have been a no brainer. One step forward and 2 steps back, never get you anywhere.

Currently, his role is comparable to Philly Brown, but I dare say his upside is to work his way to Steve Smith's level. Now, I'm not saying he'll become anything that Steve Smith was - Smitty is certainly a legendary player that comes once in a lifetime - but it's fair to say his improvement from his ground to his ceiling is very likely to be high.

So, how will he have an impact day one? Well, take a look:

Impact: Special Teams Ace

Our special teams have always been mediocre. It's dull, it's boring, and it's average. Nothing special, except a lot of stupid mistakes. The only bright spots were Vernon Butler beasting last year, Jeremy Cash's role, and MVP GOAT P Andy Lee prior to his injury. Other than that, it's a joke.

How can we fix this dilemma? 

Simple. Sign someone who has leadership in that area and thrives in it.

Remember that time when Ginn decided to trip over Teddy Williams, causing a huge fumble against the Bucs? Well, you'll never guess who was there to gun for it.

billblackandbluereviewcom

I've never seen a guy fall over that fast to snatch a ball. Russell Shepard turns into the flash for a split second and snags the ball Ginn fails to achieve. He showcases good position to make a play, and grabs the ball when the opportunity presented itself.

He's done stuff like this for a while, and he's real good at it. There's a reason he's highly regarded as a ST ace for the Buccaneers, and how he led them to be 4th in opponent punt coverage average.

He brings physicality, will, and leadership to a ST team group that desperately needs it. With our ST standout Cash making his name known on our group, Shepard would help complement his play with his leadership and skill.

Certainly a substantial upgrade in that area.

Impact: Route Running

Around these parts, route running is a rarity. You got Funchess who seemed to only be able to run routes when he's practicing in training camp. You got Kelvin Benjamin who's like "fug it" and runs a sluggish whatever-you-call-it, and you got everyone else.

The only guy on the team who can run anything worth a piece of crap is Olsen. 

That says a lot.

Enter in Russell Shepard. Check out this route he runs down here:

ezgif-1-e02fad8c34.gif.ec2e82ff35ca995a7e06cb26a856a334.gif

Blows off the 49er corner with a solid route to make a nice grab in the endzone. This is some solid route work here. He makes a play by showing off his football route tree against this corner, and it pays off.

You don't normally see this level from Carolina receivers, but Shepard brings that aspect with him. Solid guy who can run some routes.

Check out another play:

ezgif-1-5826d5e060.gif.4550cad0e6b233d6a709fb566d489c75.gif

In this instance, Jameis Winston throws another one of his erratic throws that he always loves doing. So, how does he get bailed out? Russell Shepard adjusts to his mistake and turns it into a positive.

He adjusts himself and his route to accompany Winston's error to turn this play into a good gain. Shows yet again decent feel for the flow of the football game and his ability to bail his QB out in the case of accuracy issues.

I don't know about you, but Cam was pretty inaccurate last season. Adding Shepard as his "spell-check" to the offense certainly will help bring back confidence in Cam as he's able to throw to a reliable route runner.

Impact: Deep Hitch Route Running

In case you didn't notice, Carolina loves using deep hitch routes.

It's a staple; our offense predominantly uses that route to gain yardage and make good plays. If you're going to be a Carolina WR, you're going to have to be able to run that route well.

Luckily for us, Shepard is really good at that.

Take a look at this one:

ezgif-1-2852c981e7.gif.4657cb467b443d16e8089c0f4b3402cf.gif

Shepard a deep hitch in space and gets good YAC against the 'Aints secondary, getting a nice gain and completion for the Bucs. Showcases good route running and technique, and catches the ball for a solid gain.

This is seen multiple times as his favorite go-to route, and it's something the Panthers just love using. Check out another deep hitch route:

ezgif-1-a8759bac03.gif.373bdc99846399c1f051756a339b1033.gif

He begins by running out and hitting the top real nicely on the deep hitch route. You watch him quickly set up the hitch and play as the corner flies by past him. He plants himself well to make the catch and go for the YAC. Shows good technique and skill in achieving this result.

Seems to be a common theme in his good plays when he runs deep hitches, and something our offense loves. I guarantee you Cam will be loving this guy on our team as one of his go-to options.

Solid contributor as a route-runner in our scheme.

Endgame: Is He Worth It?

Yes.

He brings leadership and maturity to a section of our team that desperately needs it. He brings about solid route running with potential to be really great. A solid guy the Bucs hated to lose, but a huge gain for us.

Don't sleep on this latest installment of Gettlemagic. This guy looks like he can be something.

Archived