• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Trade Kony Ealy To Patriots

bobsfoodbasics

Well...color me bad!!! DG has done some things this offseason that I never thought I would see!!! So let the speculation begin!!! Is the extra 2nd now used to move up to the top of the draft and grab Garrett or trade into the bottom of the 1st for a player that falls??? (Cam Robinson)

1 hour ago, MadHatter said:

Three seasons of crappy play does not equal promising DE.  

guys on this team have raved about his ability and he has shown flashes (5 game stretch in 2015 + the SB). Hardy put it all together in his 3rd year and CJ in his 4th. I dont think Ron and his coaching staff ever gave Ealy enough snaps to be sure that he is what he is.

3 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

I don't think using our third pick on a starting running back would be terrible but hey, you do you!  that's why we've got the Huddle!

Perine is projected to be a FB by some scouts. He is relatively slow and has little shake and bake. He also ain't the best blocker from what I recall. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but a second, and probably our third, is too high for the guy. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

You realize where you were draft doesn't get you any credit on a future trade, right? It was 2017 Ealy to move up 8 spots into the second, which is equivalent to an early 5th round pick. Miami was able to get William Hayes (older, but more productive) by trading down 16 picks into the 7th round from the 6th. We got a more than that for a guy we were likely going to release after the draft. If we hadn't signed Peppers, Ealy wouldn't have been traded. Once we did, he was expendable.

If Gman and Rivera really think that Ealy was a bust then I get the move but its disheartening to see a 2nd rounder, who Gman said himself he had a first round grade on, being traded for scratch.

This long before the draft do you really think there is that much of a value difference between the 72nd pick and a young DE (made all the more important by the fact that our DEs are a 37 y/o, a guy on his last contract, a situational 3rd down rusher, and a run stopper) and the 64th pick in the draft? Personally I don't.

The only way this move makes sense to me is if we were planning on moving on from Ealy next year anyway and devoting that $$ to KK and other FAs and drafting a DE early and possibly another in the draft.

4 hours ago, bobcat91 said:

Not nearly as happy finding out it was our original 3rd instead of the comp 3rd.  Just to move up 8 spots and lose a starter.  No, I'm back to thinking Gettleman is incompetent.

Addison and CJ were definitely going to be our starters this year... now we have Pep as a rotation and another DE we will draft. He's not incompetent. You just wanna reason to hate

39 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

If Gman and Rivera really think that Ealy was a bust then I get the move but its disheartening to see a 2nd rounder, who Gman said himself he had a first round grade on, being traded for scratch.

This long before the draft do you really think there is that much of a value difference between the 72nd pick and a young DE (made all the more important by the fact that our DEs are a 37 y/o, a guy on his last contract, a situational 3rd down rusher, and a run stopper) and the 64th pick in the draft? Personally I don't.

The only way this move makes sense to me is if we were planning on moving on from Ealy next year anyway and devoting that $$ to KK and other FAs and drafting a DE early and possibly another in the draft.

Agree with everything you said here.   But I think Ealy is a bust.  He had every opportunity last season - 3rd year player with frickin STAR and KK on the interior and a solid vet on the other side...  He had no excuse not to ball out, and he didn't.

It's hard to look at him and think he can't get it done - he's prototypical - but he didn't get it done, and didn't seem to care.  Good luck in NE.

This is another risky move by Gettlebutt.  He's been swinging for the bleachers today.  He needs to hit at least one home run.

I dont hate the trade I dont agree with sending that 3rd round pick with him.  Ealy was a 2nd round pick. Granted I dont think hes going to improve much more and has peaked but a 3rd round pick straight up would have been a better deal imo.

18 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Addison and CJ were definitely going to be our starters this year... now we have Pep as a rotation and another DE we will draft. He's not incompetent. You just wanna reason to hate

Has nothing to do with hate. We moved up 8 spots. That is my problem. I would have been fine with this if it was Ealy and our 3rd round comp pick for the second. We got very little out of this unless it is going to be used in another package deal. Voth, etc all said that this was a head scratcher. 

5 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

Has nothing to do with hate. We moved up 8 spots. That is my problem. I would have been fine with this if it was Ealy and our 3rd round comp pick for the second. We got very little out of this unless it is going to be used in another package deal. Voth, etc all said that this was a head scratcher. 

Well I'm speaking more to your assertion that Gman is incompetent. We also void Ealys contract in this process so it's not "just moving up 8 spots" ...

2 hours ago, Krovvy said:

Considering at the time I thought the pick was bad I don't need poo. Maybe if we had solid receiver that could catch a fuging ball we might have won that Super Bowl.

Was that receiver going to block Von Miller and Demarcus Ware?

12 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Well I'm speaking more to your assertion that Gman is incompetent. We also void Ealys contract in this process so it's not "just moving up 8 spots" ...

Last year's FA deals were a disaster. His handling of Norman was a disaster. The draft last year was iffy. We have no idea if Butler, Worley, etc will have good careers. To say that bringing in a ton of old players in FA this year is a good deal is questionable as is betting that a LT who has been terrible for 4 years will be a good move. I blame him for not getting good skill players around Cam and for leaving our OL in a mess for years. Getting rid of Smitty was out of spite and it cost us. He'll yes he is incompetent.

5 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

Last year's FA deals were a disaster. His handling of Norman was a disaster. The draft last year was iffy. We have no idea if Butler, Worley, etc will have good careers. To say that bringing in a ton of old players in FA this year is a good deal is questionable as is betting that a LT who has been terrible for 4 years will be a good move. I blame him for not getting good skill players around Cam and for leaving our OL in a mess for years. Getting rid of Smitty was out of spite and it cost us. He'll yes he is incompetent.

I'm so done with this constant spew of hate towards a top GM in this league. He's also done Ann incredible job drafting players, solving our horrendous cap situation and finding gems in FA every single season... this isn't fantasy dude 

Archived