• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Trade Kony Ealy To Patriots

bobsfoodbasics

1 minute ago, Shocker said:

If the Panthers cut him for nothing is that better somehow?  They werent keeping him.  

This.

we are going to take a DE somewhere in this deep draft.  That would make Ealy the #5 DE and not likely to make the roster.  Guy was living off one game.

not sure which posters just dont know and which ones may have forgotten, but comp picks are ineligible to be traded. it has to be the original pick. 

i for one think this is a good trade. move up to perhaps pick an even better player than Ealy. yes, its only 8 spots. but 8 spots can be the difference between getting the player you want and know will help your team versus settling for a player you dont know and only hope will help your team, especially in the 2/3 round.

6 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Who would the Pats be missing out on moving back 8? Hell they probably were gonna move back anyway and get a DE with an 800k Salary.

What's gonna hurt even worse is if he has a decent to good year and they get a 4th comp for him lol

Except he'll be playing a different position with NE, 3-4 OLB, so any comparison would be moot.

Either that or he's going to have to put on weight to play 3-4 DE.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kony-ealy?id=2543484

BOTTOM LINE

Big, athletic, ascending, pass-rush talent with the size, burst and flexibility to pressurize the edge as a right defensive end. Is not a finished product, particularly as a run defender, but should only become more disruptive as his strength, technique and savvy catch up with his natural physical ability. Could also draw looks as a 3-4 rush linebacker.

7 minutes ago, LUUUUUKE said:

I just don't like it. The Pats have a way of making people stars. 

No way he was worth 8 draft spots. I can't be convinced of it. I obviously hope it works out for us, but I think because it's NE I just hate it. Being 100% honest bout mah feelz right now

Why does that matter anyway??

Unless you have their coaching staff you're not making him a star.. So it doesn't matter if they do...

6 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

not sure which posters just dont know and which ones may have forgotten, but comp picks are ineligible to be traded. it has to be the original pick. 

They changed that rule.

You can trade comp picks now.

(But, in this case, its still not the comp pick.)

Didn't I say to reserve your judgment until free agency? He's moving the pieces and he has the money now, he knows his poo. Now having 2 second round picks? My god he still has the fire power to move up again in the third by dumping the 5,6,7 pick coupled with the comp pick if he sees someone he really likes. . 

This send a huge message to the players. 

God some of you are insufferable.

We just traded a guy who hasn't done anything for this team minus one game that we still lost and who in all likelihood would have been cut this training camp. We now have two second round picks in a draft that is incredibly deep.

Chill the *** out.

Also lol at the Pats fans, reading their board they think they got the next Reggie White.

DEFENSIVE ENDS

Kony Ealy — 623

Charles Johnson — 543

Mario Addison — 434

Wes Horton — 332

Ryan Delaire — 139

Lavar Edwards — 114

Larry Webster — 19

Ealy led DEs in playing time for the second straight year, but finished with fewer than half (10) the QB pressures Johnson (25) and Addison (23) totaled. ... Addison, who finally saw an increase in playing time during the second half of the season, averaged 31.0 snaps per game. Last year he averaged 26.4.

Probably my 5th time posting this, but some of you needed the reminder. Some people who are blindly in love with every move Gettleman makes are suffering their mind being blown lol. 3 years of trying to spin Ealy into a good pick and the guy who you are defending in your silly stance, just pulled the plug and said enough is enough. 

Gettleman is maturing as a GM and after his 2nd serving of humble pie (2014 and now 2016) he's getting it.

I'm the first to criticize Gman when I feel he makes a bad decision or move but I am also unbiased enough to applaud him when does well. This is a definite step in the right direction for us.

4 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Except he'll be playing a different position with NE, 3-4 OLB, so any comparison would be moot.

Either that or he's going to have to put on weight to play 3-4 DE.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kony-ealy?id=2543484

The Patriots are one of the most unique defenses in the league they do not run a standard 3-4 nor do they only run a 3-4.

http://nesn.com/2016/10/patriots-multiple-alignments-are-keeping-all-front-seven-defenders-happy/

The Patriots mostly played in a traditional 4-3 in recent years, though they’ve steadily been introducing more looks in a 3-4 or hybrid fronts.

He's a DE Like Sheard but will be used creatively which is something this team can rarely say. He will not be listed as a LB.

Regardless point stands.

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

The Patriots are one of the most unique defenses in the league they do not run a standard 3-4 nor do they only run a 3-4.

http://nesn.com/2016/10/patriots-multiple-alignments-are-keeping-all-front-seven-defenders-happy/

The Patriots mostly played in a traditional 4-3 in recent years, though they’ve steadily been introducing more looks in a 3-4 or hybrid fronts.

He's a DE Like Sheard but will be used creatively which is something this team can rarely say. He will not be listed as a LB.

Regardless point stands.

I agree, he won't be listed as a LB.

But he won't be playing with his hand on the ground in their 3-man line sets either.

Archived