• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers signing Matt Kalil

Jeremy Igo

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Adding another LT is the only scenario that would make this acceptable. And with what we are probably paying Kalil, it's still not.

Agree 100%.  But preparing for the worst and just have to hope I'm wrong on this one.  I did like Kalil out of USC but 4 straight years of nothing good are long odds.

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Who says the FO didn't try to sign anyone else, including Whitworth?

Because not one LT has signed/agreed to anything yet. This is a desperation move that should only be conceivable if Kalil was our one and only option. I would rather give Whitworth 2/30 than Kalil anything close to the 3/30 being reported.

For perspective, 2015 was the last full year each Oher and Kalil.  From everything I can find, despite Oher being the worst run blocking tackle at his position, he still graded out better overall than Kalil.

Matt Kalil was a 47.1. 

EDIT: can't find Oher's final 2015 grade.

2 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

We can actually use another LT also. Matt is the only LT on the team now. I'm not counting on Oher being back.

You're absolutely right.  Unfortunately I think it'll be in the draft.  Hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

For perspective, 2015 was the last full year each Oher and Kalil played.  Michael Oher was our worst OLineman in 2015 and graded out on PFF with a 70.8.

Matt Kalil was a 54.8. 

And people are celebrating like we just won something. This is the worst move by this FO I've seen. 

People have bitched about every other signing that has happened in the nfl. Gettlemen sucks, he didn't sign Marshall, Church, Dimarco. He probably lowballed everyone. 

(Gettleman signs someone)

This dude sucks. Why didn't he go after x player(who we don't know if we contacted or not)? Probably Gettleman overpaid! We were desperate thanks to the GM not taking care of the position and knowing that Oher would be in concussion protocol for a year.

Good signing.  I'll be interested to see how he does with Matsko in a different style offense.  IMO, with how desperate we are for help, and the lack of options in the draft, I love the move.  I don't think this will be the end of our moves in regards to that position because even with him at LT, we need depth and solid right tackle (although, I still think Daryl Williams can be serviceable there).

Archived