• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers signing Matt Kalil

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

Everybody who said this is a bad move bad contract is going to eat crow. Dude was 4th overall pick in 2012 and now he can't play ?

Well the Jags have picked Justin Blackmon at 5,
                                          Derrick Harvey at   8,
                                          Reggie Williams at 9

Now they've lost their top 4 pick to another team....needless to say they have nailed it when it comes to catastrophic top 10 picks.

This is not to say Kalil isn't good but the Jags could be the face of Retadred top 10 picks(yes I spelled that wrong on purpose).

4 hours ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

Everybody who said this is a bad move bad contract is going to eat crow. Dude was 4th overall pick in 2012 and now he can't play ?

What did the Aliens take away his talents like space jam ?

media bashing us for signing Kalil lol what, should we have signed old man whitworth ? He'd end up the same way as old man Andy lee 

Who gives a damn where he was drafted?  He has been bad since his rookie year. Vikings Fans wanted him gone. They only made him an offer because there line is 5 times worse than ours. Bottom line, if the coaching staff can't change him around this will hurt in the long run. And this is not exactly a staff with credentials for turning chicken poo in to salad. That is why these types of moves are not met with good optimism.

20 hours ago, frash.exe said:

welp you guys wouldn't stfu about making a splash early in free agency. this is the price you pay when you do want to jump in early. and if we didn't make a move he would've been gone anyway. then we would've heard about how we didn't make a good enough bid or try to fill a hole at LT

I'm among those glad we made the move and bit the bullet, and I'm hoping it will work out for good. 

But I do feel that this was similar to our trade for Andy Lee last year - a bit of a desperation move, where it's pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Hate that we ended up in this situation, but this really had to be done. 

Kalil being only 27 makes the high price much more tolerable, though, and I'm hoping the chemistry will be special with him and Ryan playing together to add an extra intangible in terms of motivation / effort.

6 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I'm among those glad we made the move and bit the bullet, and I'm hoping it will work out for good. 

But I do feel that this was similar to our trade for Andy Lee last year - a bit of a desperation move, where it's pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Hate that we ended up in this situation, but this really had to be done. 

Kalil being only 27 makes the high price much more tolerable, though, and I'm hoping the chemistry will be special with him and Ryan playing together to add an extra intangible in terms of motivation / effort.

i'm happy too. and honestly, it's not like a little over ten million is as heavy on the cap as it was in like 2009. i was a little surprised at the number and i'm always a little worried about hip injuries when it comes to linemen, but nobody can deny matt's measureables and talent. he can flourish with a little good fortune

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

His young age and athletic ability will help him rebound , it also doesnt hurt to have one of the better Interior OL, Stud TE , Franchise QB , etc etc

Lets say situation will be better for him in Carolina with the talent level in  supporting cast around him.

9 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

GM Dave Gettleman on Matt Kalil: "Matt's got everything we're looking for at the left tackle position."

Considering we've had Byron Bell there I need more info....more specifically....uhhh.....what do they look for?

Can the person breath on their own? Left handed? Has a pulse?  what?

David Newton ESPN Staff Writer 

The Panthers officially announced the signing of left tackle Matt Kalil to a 5-year deal that was agreed to on Thursday. "We went through a lengthy evaluation process, including exhaustive film study, and Matt's got everything we're looking for at the left tackle position," general manager Dave Gettleman said on the team website. "Matt's an all-around great player with ability as a run blocker and pass protector. He can play with power and aggressiveness and he has the toughness and competitiveness we expect from our offensive linemen. He will work with a great duo of offensive line coaches in John Matsko and Ray Brown who I know will maximize his talents. We're just really excited about being able to add him."

•  
  •  
  •  
icon-espn-e-@2x.png
1h

“This was never a situation of me campaigning to play with my brother just because it sounds cool. I would never champion my brother to come to Carolina if I didn’t think he would make us a better team. If there is any selfish aspect to this, it’s about helping my family, but not the Kalils as much as helping the Panthers family. At the end of the day, we’ll have to go prove that. I know that. Matt knows that. Especially coming off last season, our entire unit knows that.”

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Ryan-Kalil-talks-about-joining-forces-with-younger-brother/75d7622f-fdbf-4a99-ab6d-d207df0b43aa

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

“This was never a situation of me campaigning to play with my brother just because it sounds cool. I would never champion my brother to come to Carolina if I didn’t think he would make us a better team. If there is any selfish aspect to this, it’s about helping my family, but not the Kalils as much as helping the Panthers family. At the end of the day, we’ll have to go prove that. I know that. Matt knows that. Especially coming off last season, our entire unit knows that.”

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Ryan-Kalil-talks-about-joining-forces-with-younger-brother/75d7622f-fdbf-4a99-ab6d-d207df0b43aa

good interview with Ryan from Panthers.com

Archived