• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers signing Matt Kalil

Jeremy Igo

Panthers sign OT Matt Kalil (5 years, $55M; $25M guaranteed): MILLEN: THE BACK SIDE Grade
The Panthers had the Blind Side in Michael Oher, and now they have the Back Side, a grade for this utterly awful signing.

Details weren't available when this acquisition was first announced, so my brain nearly exploded when Landon E. sent me an e-mail, notifying me of the financial implications. I can't believe Matt Kalil is set to earn $55 million over five years. It's absolutely mind-boggling. Kalil hasn't been healthy in years, and he hasn't put together a quality season since 2013. He was atrocious in two games this past year before getting knocked out for the final 14 contests. This wasn't a surprise, given that he's incapable of staying healthy.

If Kalil hasn't played well in three years, why is he getting this massive contract? It makes no sense. Kalil should've gotten something like $9 million over three seasons. Handing him $11 million per year and $25 million in guarantees is asinine, and I have no choice but to deliver my ninth Millen in the past 30 or so hours.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#mvzbY3DEHMO63uME.99

i want to see analysis of kalil in his earlier years when he was a stud and see what he lost after that.

the fact that he was a stud early, and that he's still young, is actually huge. this could mean there's a number of variable factors that've led to his decline, variables that might be much different here. we already know from experience that playing next to dogshit can make everybody look bad. byron bell made trai turner and norwell look awful at times. that line was mediocre at best in 2015 and utter dogshit last year. was he possibly a product of subpar play?

it appears gettleman overpaid him, and he's definitely staking his reputation on this move. but i am optimistic. everyone was guffawing bitterly over the oher acquisition a few years ago and matsko worked wonders with him - there's a good chance he can do the same with kalil. hopefully this is just the first move in a series of investments in the offensive line.

41 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i want to see analysis of kalil in his earlier years when he was a stud and see what he lost after that.

the fact that he was a stud early, and that he's still young, is actually huge. this could mean there's a number of variable factors that've led to his decline, variables that might be much different here. we already know from experience that playing next to dogshit can make everybody look bad. byron bell made trai turner and norwell look awful at times. that line was mediocre at best in 2015 and utter dogshit last year. was he possibly a product of subpar play?

it appears gettleman overpaid him, and he's definitely staking his reputation on this move. but i am optimistic. everyone was guffawing bitterly over the oher acquisition a few years ago and matsko worked wonders with him - there's a good chance he can do the same with kalil. hopefully this is just the first move in a series of investments in the offensive line.

That's the thing. If Kalil pans out we have LT solved finally. If not then at least DG tried to patch it. Oher might retire. He had to make this signing. 

I'm more concerned about what Beachum's contract is worth.  He's the one I wanted, he is the same age as Kalil and has been more productive. 

I do think that our interior OL can cover up some deficiencies of Kalil, so let's see what the true contract numbers are before I freak out any more. Let's say we're looking at 3 of the 5 years guaranteed for that $25M breaking down as:

2017 - $7M

2018 - $8.5M

2019 - $9.5M

2020/2021 - option years 

Then maybe it's not so bad. I'm not ready to close the book on Kalil, especially with our current personnel, his brother and Matzko molding him. DG surprised us with Oher and I feel very similar to how I felt when we signed him. He was on the brink of being booted out of the league, but he was coming off of injury plagued underachieving seasons. 

I would've preferred Beachum or Okung, but who knows what they wanted in negotiations or if they even wanted to be here. We needed LT help and the draft wasn't going to provide us a starter in '17/'18, so DG spent some dough.

Can't have it both ways... either be pissed that he's cheap and doesn't help Cam, or be pissed that he overspent but helped try to improve a weakness.... but you can't have both. 

2 hours ago, Catufb85 said:

cant wait until a team gives Remmers $9-10 million a year so some of you whiners will hush.  Cap goes up contracts go up. It says how it works. 

Comp pick(s)!!

Ginn, Klein, Remmers and Philly will possibly contribute to one or more comp picks next year...

I wonder how little Kalil will fit in the locker room. Will he be a tag along ? Will he not be as funny and kinda a pest? Will the brothers team up to prank people? Will they run the oline room, potentially ruffling feathers? How will little Kalil make his own name and friends? All kinds of possibilities. Maybe it'll be just like any other locker room.

would be an interesting hard knocks.

1 hour ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I'm going on record saying I'm not a fan of this move, and I'm a Gettleman nutthugger. 

It just doesn't make sense to me to give a guy with his injury history and declining play that kind of money. 

I was much more optimistic about Oher than I am about Kalil. 

Matt Kalil fan want my first choice, either. But hey, the team doesn't always take my chosen guys.

As always, I'll hope for the best.

Archived