• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers signing Matt Kalil

Jeremy Igo

48 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Thank you for the sanity.  Exactly.  We had an edge in negotiations with Matt Kalil (his brother Ryan) that we don't have with other FA LTs.  I like that Kalil is only 27,  If our coaches and playing with Ryan can cause him to improve, it's quite a good thing.  I don't see that there was obviously any other tackle that we had a high likelihood of landing.  Kalil was probably our best shot, and even so, we probably had to pay WAY more than DG wanted to pay.  But this was a bullet we had to bite.

I always hate the "but why didn't we go after x player". There are many factors:  $$, location, fit, ability, age. A GM and coach has to factor in all of the above. These agents also talk to try and get more money for players at a position of demand.

If the Panthers are going around throwing money at all LT to see what sticks, no player will feel wanted. If we go hard at one player, they will feel desired and increase the likelihood of us signing them.  

Do I think Kalil is a perfect LT? No of course not. Nobody can. But we got a starter at LT. We need to remember we have had Bell, Chandler, Remmers and Oher at tackle. Do I think Kalil is an upgrade over those players. Absolutely! 

I think this is a decent signing and I'm not going to troll it. But there's never been an example of brothers playing on the same team in pro sports where both have played well. There's too much extra baggage of sibling rivalry going on behind the scenes. It's a slightly different thing, but look at what just happened with Kevin Olsen in Charlotte. He was a god-awful quarterback for UNCC even before he raped that girl.

21 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Yes, Kalil's age is one thing people are overlooking.  It's a big factor.  You go for someone like Whitworth, you maybe get 1 or 2 seasons from him and then have to find another LT all over again SOON.  If Kalil is healthy and at least plays average, it gives us a little breathing space at the position for a few years. 

Whitworth might well have been a better one year stopgap if we could have landed him. Perhaps it would have been worth doing with the team in a SB window right now (if healthy and with a solid O-line to stabilize the offense...) 

Kalil at least has the POTENTIAL, if a move can rejuvenate his career, to provide some stability for 3 - 5 years.  Obviously there's a risk, but hopefully this proves to be a gamble that pays off.

Hard to know.  I bet we'll be having this debate for awhile, but I really hope Kalil will silence the question with solid play.

Kalil & Daryl Williams will make great combo, having a more consistent run game will play into their strength and keep Edge Rushers on the their heels.

2017 will have more of methodical offense that can control the game for 4qtrs.

Expected this for weeks. I expect another vet add at the position. Don't know why people expect that playing with his brother is going to make Kalil play better. Maybe morale and/or chemistry. He has always had the upside, and it flashed early in his career. Coach Matsko will bring out his best. 

Archived