• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers signing Matt Kalil

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, Rags said:

Fair enough, but until we know how much is garunteed I can't say thats a bad contract.

While I agree with that sentiment, it's going to be hard to structure that in a way that makes this good. 

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

We have a hall of fame QB who just came off of an MVP season when he got headhunted behind a swiss cheese OL whom let other teams cheap shot him.  And I dont think we were competitive.

Well considering Norwell was our only starter at his actual position last year, and us being 6 games with 3 points or less along with 6 games with 4th q leads, we were that close to being 12-4 and likely cruising through a mediocre playoffs schedule.

That close to being back in it.

I wouldnt be nearly as concerned about this move if we somehow structured it like Okung's deal last year.  It was 5 yr/50M plus, but the first year was only a cap hit of 5.2M and then jumped to about 11M in year two, but obviously gave the Broncos an option to bail after year one.

I don't think we have the same leverage as the Broncos did when they signed him following their stolen Superbowl win, so I doubt we could leverage that, but I hope...

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

We have a hall of fame QB who just came off of an MVP season when he got headhunted behind a swiss cheese OL whom let other teams cheap shot him.  And I dont think we were competitive.

6 of our 10 losses were by 3 points or less and the Vikings game was closer than the score.  We were certainly competitive.  Regardless I'm not sure what your point is unless you think the Saints are more talented than us. 

1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

Well considering Norwell was our only starter at his actual position last year, and us being 6 games with 3 points or less along with 6 games with 4th q leads, we were that close to being 12-4 and likely cruising through a mediocre playoffs schedule.

That close to being back in it.

True, and I was aware of that, but that is the difference between winners and losers.  At the end of the year, we were 6-10 team, so we were not competitive.  Teams knew they could count on us to screw up if it came down to it.

Before we sign Matt Kalil: GETTLEMAN WILL NEVER SIGN HIM HE'S TOO CHEAP fuging NIPPLESHORTS FAT ASS WE'LL NEVER HAVE A LEFT TACKLE CAM WILL BE KILLED

After we signed Matt Kalil: IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE AN UPGRADE GETTLEFATTY FAT PROBABLY OVERPAID HIM MATT KALIL IS TRASH CAM WILL BE KILLED

32 minutes ago, Mage said:

That is only because the Saints don't have that many players worth paying.  We have Newton, Kuechly, Short, Kalil (R.), Olsen, Davis, etc. making a solid amount of money.  They have what, Brees and Jordan?

Don't forget Stew & CJ.  We're FINALLY just about clear of all those Huge Hurney contracts.  Looking forward to seeing what Getts can do with just a bit more money and contract flexibility.

Just now, Mage said:

6 of our 10 losses were by 3 points or less and the Vikings game was closer than the score.  We were certainly competitive.  Regardless I'm not sure what your point is unless you think the Saints are more talented than us. 

As I replied to Saca, I'm aware of the margin of our defeats...  but again, rhat is the difference between winners and losers.  Good teams win those games and know bad teams will crumble in those tight spots.

As far as talent, IMO, we have the best player in the entire league on borh offense and defense.  There is no better individual talent on any other team on each side of the ball.  So, if we addressed the supporting cast appropriately and have a coaching staff worth their salt, we should be in the playoffs every year.  That should be the minimum expectation every year.  Yet, astoundingly, we still havent won in back to back seasons and a majority of the fanbase goes out of their way to make excuses as to why we should be okay with mediocre results every other year.  So, no, I'm not saying they're more talented, but they attack weaknesses every year in an effort to compete every year.  And they have a Super Bowl.  We don't.

I'm hoping that the 30million for 3 years was something Kalil's agent leaked and really was a bluff to boost up the contract value for him. Didn't Kenny Still's agent say that the negotiations would start at 12m per year!? Then he resigned for 8m per year... 

How is this thing alread 20 pages at 8:30, do you people sleep???

Anyway I think this move signals the end of Oher, and still need to sign a5 least on more OT in FA in my opinion. Not ecstatic about this move, but if he can return to rookie form it'll be a steal.

Archived