• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers signing Matt Kalil

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I gave you pie because you are the only person who has ever provided a name.

However the contract he was handed was out of our price range at the time, something a lot of people never take into account.  

LTs don't grow on trees and we were pretty bad with the cap until this year. Oher who was an afterthought gave us a great season during our Super Bowl run and was had cheap. Daryl Williams seems like a potential starting RT and we got him in Round 4. 

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

There's ALWAYS ways to make room in order to get someone you want/need.

You guys sit here and say every year how the Saints literally have NO money yet they actually have more cap space than us right now. It's called managing the cap, stop using this excuse because it holds no weight 

That is only because the Saints don't have that many players worth paying.  We have Newton, Kuechly, Short, Kalil (R.), Olsen, Davis, etc. making a solid amount of money.  They have what, Brees and Jordan?

30 minutes ago, toldozer said:

You aren't pounding the table, you are crying like a child.  It''s done man. Get on board because complaining until September isn't going to do you any good. Kalil made the most sense.  Yes it's a gamble but we had to do it. Oher impending retirement forced this.  People saying he didn't address left tackle is silly. He just signed Oher  (who helped us get to the damn superbowl ) to an extension.  Sorry he couldn't see into the future.

I haven't had anything bad to say about any of the previous moves we've made at LT. It is settling for below average player at a large price that is the problem. And it's been what? 90 minutes. Believe me, I'll get mine out today and be done. But on a board where half the posts are cliches against the FO over and over, I'll be the least of your worries. If you want to get on people for whining, why not step up to the people ruining the board on a daily basis? 

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I get what you're saying CM, but I feel like if he cared as much about the tackles as he did other positions we would've found out answers by now and not had to overpay for them.  I've always thought, if you have a weak position, throw assets at it until something sticks.  The more bodies you can bring in, the more likely you are to find an answer, and not a temporary band-aid like we've often found. And as an aside, I like what Williams has done so far, but that was one project tackle, picked out of how many drafts?

For instance, i obviously didnt agree at all with the Norman situation last year, or the subsequent assets used to fix that mistake (using our first 3 picks on corners).  But, ideally, that is how you should attack positions of weakness.  Since Gettleman has been here, we have had more quality signings providing competition at CB than we ever have at the tackles.  People knew who Drayton Florence was...  Peanut.  Leonard Johnson last year.  McClain.  Finnegan.  Even Cason, as garbage as he ended up being.  That is how you address a position, and that's not including guys we drafted to compete there.

I'm happy we have a guy who at one time was viewed as a franchise LT, as it provides competition.  But, to this point, he has been a bust and likely cost us almost double what Oher initially signed for per year.  Just doesnt seem very sound or reasonable.  But, i get at this point, choices were limited.

One of the reasons he has been able to throw so many bodies at the secondary is because of the money. It's a lot cheaper to find a serviceable corner than Tackle. And that's where the whole risk v. reward aspect of FA tackles comes into play. In years past we've been so cap strapped we've needed to be super smart and not waste a cent on a player that has long term ramifications on the cap situation. This year we have some room, so we're sticking our neck out a bit more and signing a younger guy with potential to a longer term deal.

Bell and Chandler were low risk low reward. Remmers was dumb luck that he was serviceable on the right side. Oher was low risk high reward. Kalil seems like high risk high reward. We have the luxury of doing that this year.

I just hope he ends up being good. 

1 minute ago, Mage said:

That is only because the Saints don't have that many players worth paying.  We have Newton, Kuechly, Short, Kalil (R.), Olsen, Davis, etc. making a solid amount of money.  They have what, Brees and Jordan?

I'm sure there was guys we could've cut that would've free'd up enough money in order for us to sign JV. 

Yes it obviously would've come with carrying some dead money as well but like I said, it's a sacrifice you make to protect your QB

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

I have had anything bad to say about any of the previous moves we've made at LT. It is settling for below average player at a large price that is the problem. And it's been what? 90 minutes. Believe me, I'll get mine out today and be done. But on a board where half the posts are cliches against the FO over and over, I'll be the least of your worries. If you want to get on people for whining, why not step up to the people ruining the board on a daily basis? 

"Large Price" mmmmm let's let the details come out first ol buddy ol pal

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

And they still had a better season than us last year, oddly.  

8 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

There's ALWAYS ways to make room in order to get someone you want/need.

You guys sit here and say every year how the Saints literally have NO money yet they actually have more cap space than us right now. It's called managing the cap, stop using this excuse because it holds no weight 

And they've been 7-9 4 of the past 5 years.

So you want us to stretch the cap in order to be consistently mediocre?

I'd rather have success every other year. 

Just now, ECUHeel said:

As long as the guaranteed $ isn't going to cap-strap us in the future, and we could cut bait very easily if necessary, I've got no problem with this move.  

This as well.  This could be a contract we can easily get out of after the first or second year depending on how it is structured.

I'm not a big fan of the signing but I don't think it is a bad one or anything either.  Worst case scenario, Kalil sucks (although there is no way he is worse than Remmers) and we are back where we started.  Best case scenario, he returns to rookie form.  He has a ton of talent and playing next to a great interior could help him out a lot.  There is a lot of potential with this.  And other than signing Whitworth, and who knows what he is asking for (not to mention if he would even want to come here), there isn't anything we could have done better this offseason at LT.

Archived