• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers signing Matt Kalil

Jeremy Igo

Are we forgetting this dude trotted Nate Chandler and Byron Bell out there to be out tackles one year?   Gettleman has done a lot of good, with guys like Turner and Norwell, Short and Star, but let's be fair, he's been terrible on addressing the #2 most important position on a football team.   Terrible.     Give credit due but also let's not be naive here.  

7 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

The names are out there available to you just as they are to me.  I know, as I've looked.  If you want to know, you should look too.  For starters, in 2014, we drafted KB and Ealy ahead of two guys who appeared to turn the corner this year and would still be playing on rookie deals - Morgan Moses and Cyrus Kouandjio (sp?).

I already did the work from a few months ago:

As far as FA OT's go - you're likely not going to get a good one because the teams that drafted the good ones tend to pony up and keep them. 

As far as drafting OTs goes - We haven't invested in the position like some would like, but it seems that scouting OTs has become a bit of a crapshoot since college offenses have embraced the spread. Look at the 1st round OTs taken since Gettleman's first year as GM. The vast majority are below average:

• Fisher-Average
  • Jockel- Bust
  • Fluker - Moved to Guard
  • Pugh - Moved to Guard
  • Robinson - Bust
  • Matthews - Average at best
  • Lewan - Actually good, but a bit of a dipshit
  • James - Average
  • Scherff- Looks good so far
  • Flowers - Looks like Ass so far
  • Peat - Looks like Ass so far
  • Ogbuehi - Looks like Ass so far
  • Humphries - Looks like Ass so far

Of the above listed, we only had a shot at Pugh. We haven't missed out on anything there.

So there have been no OT's taken in the first round that we would have had a chance at that would have been worth a damn at tackle.

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Jared Veldheer could've been signed and we never would've lost a beat with Gross retiring. 

Theres your name, now deal with the fact something could've been done a long time ago

So between 2013-2017, you have given me one name.  Good.  I've been proven wrong then.  Gettleman has had many opportunities to improve the LT position.

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

Could they not find Whitworth's house on Google maps? Or Beachum's. Can I take back everything I said about Okung? This is a dark day in Panther history.

I actively look for people to block every single day.  You are the first today.  Congratulations.

6 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I mean, yeah he did, He got Williams in the 4th. That is trying, and he seems like a better tackle option than a lot of the tackles taken in the past few drafts. I've posted in detail a few months ago how terrible the past 4 or so seasons of Tackles have been. It's been really, really bad. 

But I do agree with your overall sentiment about Kalil. I'm honestly not a fan and would have rather had Clady, Okung, or Joeckel. He seems like a one year wonder to me. Hopefully he can improve, but I'm honestly not impressed by what I've seen from him. 

On the bright side, he's a body at the tackle position, something we didn't have this time yesterday, so that's a plus, I guess. Also it doesn't mean we won't sing another or draft another next month.

I get what you're saying CM, but I feel like if he cared as much about the tackles as he did other positions we would've found out answers by now and not had to overpay for them.  I've always thought, if you have a weak position, throw assets at it until something sticks.  The more bodies you can bring in, the more likely you are to find an answer, and not a temporary band-aid like we've often found. And as an aside, I like what Williams has done so far, but that was one project tackle, picked out of how many drafts?

For instance, i obviously didnt agree at all with the Norman situation last year, or the subsequent assets used to fix that mistake (using our first 3 picks on corners).  But, ideally, that is how you should attack positions of weakness.  Since Gettleman has been here, we have had more quality signings providing competition at CB than we ever have at the tackles.  People knew who Drayton Florence was...  Peanut.  Leonard Johnson last year.  McClain.  Finnegan.  Even Cason, as garbage as he ended up being.  That is how you address a position, and that's not including guys we drafted to compete there.

I'm happy we have a guy who at one time was viewed as a franchise LT, as it provides competition.  But, to this point, he has been a bust and likely cost us almost double what Oher initially signed for per year.  Just doesnt seem very sound or reasonable.  But, i get at this point, choices were limited.

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Jared Veldheer could've been signed and we never would've lost a beat with Gross retiring. 

Theres your name, now deal with the fact something could've been done a long time ago

We didn't have cap space when he became a FA. And oakland had  a ton. 

1 hour ago, Cam El said:

Is he really an upgrade? Hopefully, playing with his brother will bring out the best in him. 

He's not necessarily an upgrade over a healthy Oher.  But he's an upgrade over a concussed Oher who most of us think has played his last snap.  Kalil fills the huge hole...  Here's hoping Matsko & co can work a miracle with Kalil.  Should be fun to see Matt & Ryan together on the field.  Does Matt have anything like his brother's sense of humor, I wonder?

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I gave you pie because you are the only person who has ever provided a name.

However the contract he was handed was out of our price range at the time, something a lot of people never take into account.  

Just now, KB_fan said:

He's not necessarily an upgrade over a healthy Oher.  But he's an upgrade over a concussed Oher who most of us think has played his last snap.  Kalil fills the huge hole...  Here's hoping Matsko & co can work a miracle with Kalil.  Should be fun to see Matt & Ryan together on the field.  Does Matt have anything like his brother's sense of humor, I wonder?

This is where I am too.  I hope we didn't sell the farm for a marginal player, BUT I hope that being here with our coaches and his brother will help him be at least middle of the road.

1 minute ago, La Pantera said:

We didn't have cap space when he became a FA. And oakland had  a ton. 

There's ALWAYS ways to make room in order to get someone you want/need.

You guys sit here and say every year how the Saints literally have NO money yet they actually have more cap space than us right now. It's called managing the cap, stop using this excuse because it holds no weight 

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

However the contract he was handed was out of our price range at the time, something a lot of people never take into account.  

True but the cap doesn't seem to matter for other teams, only us.    GM's can make it happen if they really want to.    Especially the #2 most important position on the team.     I'm not saying DG is a bad GM, he's just been bad at addressing this position.    He's still pulled gems out for sure though.  

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

There's ALWAYS ways to make room in order to get someone you want/need.

You guys sit here and say every year how the Saints literally have NO money yet they actually have more cap space than us right now. It's called managing the cap, stop using this excuse because it holds no weight 

K.

4 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I really liked Veldheer and thought it was a perfect fit. I think his play may have dropped off a bit this last season but he was very solid up until then. 

Ah there's always ways to work around the cap you know this. And when you have a 4th year QB coming into his own you make some sacrifices to take on a contract to secure the LT position

Archived