• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Christian McCaffrey was black, he would be a top 10 pick

Jeremy Igo

Given that fournette may slide to even 8 and Dalvin Cook may slide to late first round.... I can not agree with Sharpe on this one.  Maybe when he played ball yes, but the league doesn't center the team around the star running back anymore. 

3 hours ago, Woodie said:

Not going to get into the race aspect as I feel it is stupid. But I do think there is real merit to him being criminally underrated.

For those using the Reggie Bush argument, you do realize this is not the same NFL Bush entered.  The league has changed, and teams know how to use backs like him much better.  But even so, I think McCaffrey has a better all around skillset than Reggie Bush did.  He is a much better receiver, and could legitimately be drafted as a receiver and be highly successful in that role. 

McCaffrey is also a legitimate RB.  No, he isn't he power back that is going to run guys over, but he excels at finding space to squeeze through to get his yards.  He also has great vision and is very good at finding the hole.  And he is stout enough to run through arm tackles.  He's not one of those backs that falls down on first contact. If more people here had actually watched him, they would realize he is a legit RB, but is so dynamic that is best labeled as an "offensive weapon" rather than simply a RB. 

And in todays NFL it isn't about the number of carries you get, it's about the number of touches.  And McCaffrey should get as many offensive touches as any back in the draft.  Then when you add in his return ability, he is a game changer.  

This. Too many people say he isn't a three down back yet he is in all situations where it is 3rd down and more than 2. Which by the way occurs a lot more than the other way around. If it is 3rd and 7, I would rather have him on the field than any other back in the draft and most running backs in the NFL including Stewart unless it was just for blocking at which McCaffrey is a large unknown. But if athleticism had any part in it, McCaffrey might be one of the most athletic players for his size in the draft bar none.

3 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

RBs have to be generational talents to go in the top 10 in today's NFL. 10 years ago he'd be a top 10 pick.

It is the other way around. Now teams pass a lot more and throw to running backs more than ever. The power running game is a dinosaur which is why fullbacks have largely disappeared as a position. He is much more likely to go too 10 now than he would 10 years ago. Bush was the exception to the rule and his struggles are a primary reason that guys like McCaffrey may not be considered a  top 10 pick.

24 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

It is the other way around. Now teams pass a lot more and throw to running backs more than ever. The power running game is a dinosaur which is why fullbacks have largely disappeared as a position. He is much more likely to go too 10 now than he would 10 years ago. Bush was the exception to the rule and his struggles are a primary reason that guys like McCaffrey may not be considered a  top 10 pick.

I disagree. His rushing + receiving ability is the only reason I can even fathom him being taken in the 1st round now as RBs just aren't valued the same as they used to be. If he was a 3 down back in the NFL 10 years ago, with his receiving ability, he would definitely go top 10.

2 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

I disagree. His rushing + receiving ability is the only reason I can even fathom him being taken in the 1st round now as RBs just aren't valued the same as they used to be. If he was a 3 down back in the NFL 10 years ago, with his receiving ability, he would definitely go top 10

He is not just a running back. He is as good as most any receiver out there which would make him a first or second rounder just as a receiver. Now add his rushing ability and his return ability and he is definitely a top 10 worthy pick. 

Your premise is running backs are devalued and that may be true but he is much more than a running back. Backs that can rush and catch equally as well who run under a 4.5 are highly valued today for their versatility which makes them a 3 down back as well as a receiver and returner.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

He is not just a running back. He is as good as most any receiver out there which would make him a first or second rounder just as a receiver. Now add his rushing ability and his return ability and he is definitely a top 10 worthy pick. 

Your premise is running backs are devalued and that may be true but he is much more than a running back. Backs that can rush and catch equally as well who run under a 4.5 are highly valued today for their versatility which makes them a 3 down back as well as a receiver and returner.

My point is the fact that he can contribute both as a rusher and receiver is why I think he might have a chance of going in the first round in the current NFL climate where RBs are devalued.

But at the same time: 10 years ago when RBs were taken in the 1st round all the time, a back like McCaffery would definitely go top 10 because of his added dimension as a receiver.

Denying that McCaffrey's draft status is hindered by his skin color is irresponsible. It is. Plain and simple. There hasn't been a successful white runningback taken in the draft, let alone round 1, since maybe John Riggins. You just don't see it. And when we do, we aren't sure what to make of it. It's human nature to question the outlier.

Archived