• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Christian McCaffrey was black, he would be a top 10 pick

Jeremy Igo

I talked to some college coaches and they made this comment:  "We do not discriminate against RBs--white, black, green, etc.  but the youth coaches do."  They stereotype--the white coaches are included---and move a white kid to a position more in line with what they see on the higher levels.  One coach said, "Its like this--you see a beautiful woman based on what society says is beautiful.  You want to marry that woman, even if she is not as good a person as another woman that is less attractive."  I thought that was interesting.

The same thing benefited white QBs, so it balances out.  However, to think that the white RB is being systemically eliminated by less-informed coaches iis an interesting theory.

I'm white myself and feel like this might be accurate. But I'm one of the ones biased against him haha. RB should be one of the most athletic guys on the team.

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that I can't name any white running back besides Peyton Hillis. And he only rings a bell because of being in the cover of Madden. Alstott was more of a FB. So yea I'm in the "I'll belive it when I see it" camp.

This isn't a black or white thing, but the media needs a story, some NFL personnel are well I dunno more informed than the media. In college his game speaks for itself, and there are several other players black or white who's COLLEGE tape speaks for itself. 

But here's the thing, he doesn't have a clearly defined NFL position. Can he play some running back sure, can he line up in the slot sure, can he play special teams, sure. 

But you don't draft ''gadget / satellite'' players in the top 10, or if even in the 1st round. McCaffery is a utility player on the next level. He's not gonna be a feature back, and you don't draft a slot receiver in the first round. 

He's a day 2/3 draft pick, and I think he's going to have a chance if he goes to the right offense to have an impact. But top 10 picks are guys you build your team around, they are franchise caliber players. He's not that in the NFL. 

He is probably worth a top 10 pick for the right scheme. He would be a great fit in essentially any team that throws (or would like to throw) to their rbs a lot: New England, Green Bay, Detroit, San Diego, Indianapolis, etc. For a team like us, I would take him in the third at the highest.

He would be a horrible fit here with a QB that isn't especially good at that kind of throw and an offensive coordinator that isn't especially good at anything.

There probably is a little white-rb bias. Feeding that is the fact that white rbs in the NFL are few and far between. Not super ground breaking.

Archived