• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Very interesting read

Jeremy Igo

So the microbiome is the most exciting thing going right now in terms of new health and nutrition information. Just years ago we had no idea how important the colon was or how important fiber was. It is only in the past few years it is coming to light.

The bacteria in your gut literally plays a hand in everything as far as your health goes. Feeding those bacteria is one of the more important dietary things you should consider.

I always though, like most, that insoluble fiber just meant great poops (it does). I had no idea that was only just scratching the surface. So much of your immune system happens in the gut (over 50%). So many autoimmune illnesses stem from lack of or bad types of bugs in your gut.

So much in this book, but to summarize very sloppily...

Avoid antibiotics, avoid antibacterials, eat lots of plants, enjoy a healthier life.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in such matters.

fa467c7fc11b6ae195b4e998a03a708f.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/039957350X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488738608&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=the+microbiome+solution

3 hours ago, SOJA said:

Just curious but what do you mean by avoid abx?

If your doctor prescribes you abx for strep you need to take the abx. 

I too am curious. Unless he means z-packs. There are studies that show they cause heart problems in some people. Why antibacterial? Does that mean hand sanitizer? I'm not smart in case you didn't know haha

7 hours ago, SOJA said:

Just curious but what do you mean by avoid abx?

If your doctor prescribes you abx for strep you need to take the abx. 

Doctors prescribe ABX about 70 percent of the time when he/she thinks the patients want it and only 7% of the time when they don't want it. 

ABX kills off a lot of the good bacteria in your body. Take it enough times and you risk developing other diseases later in life. 

I am not saying never take ABX, I am saying be weary of and really question when you should. Ask your doctor if it is just out of convenience to get better quicker or if you really need it. 

3 hours ago, The Lobo said:

Why antibacterial? Does that mean hand sanitizer? I'm not smart in case you didn't know haha

Yes, hand sanitizer and anything else that wipes out bacteria in your home is the devil. Look around, kids today are much weaker because of it. Constantly sick. 

Instead, eat more healthy (lots of plants) and don't worry about the household bacteria because your immune system will kick its ass. 

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Doctors prescribe ABX about 70 percent of the time when he/she thinks the patients want it and only 7% of the time when they don't want it. 

ABX kills off a lot of the good bacteria in your body. Take it enough times and you risk developing other diseases later in life. 

I am not saying never take ABX, I am saying be weary of and really question when you should. Ask your doctor if it is just out of convenience to get better quicker or if you really need it. 

Overprescription of abx is a HUGE problem I completely agree, hopefully my generation of physicians will change that. 

As you stated- this is often directly correlated with patient's desire or demanding abx when it's a viral infection. 

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yes, hand sanitizer and anything else that wipes out bacteria in your home is the devil. Look around, kids today are much weaker because of it. Constantly sick. 

Instead, eat more healthy (lots of plants) and don't worry about the household bacteria because your immune system will kick its ass. 

You ever watched Dr strange? There is a scene where he learns about sorcerers and millions of different dimensions...and learns how his soul can leave his body and reach an astral plane. Anyway, after he's learns this he says "teach me" to his instructor, if you will. 

I have that same feeling now...teach me. I follow you on twitter you have me convinced. I eat ok but not well enough. What should I do? Teach me oh ancient one.

As someone who lives every day watching what I can eat because of diverticulitis, it's hereditary, I can tell you it plays a huge part in your well being. At around 30, it finally reared it's ugly head and I had to switch my diet. Seeds and nuts became can't eats, which sucks because almonds are one of my favorite snacks when I'm working. I switched to high fiber diet, peanut and almond butter, and reduced my animal protein consumption. What I found was I didn't get sick near as often, and overall my meals moved through me easier. 

Typically I don't get antibiotics that often, unless a flair up causes an infection which requires them. If I do get them, after my course is over, I reload on activa and the like. I haven't tried kefir . I'm going to have to get mind over matter for that one. 

You ever watched Dr strange? There is a scene where he learns about sorcerers and millions of different dimensions...and learns how his soul can leave his body and reach an astral plane. Anyway, after he's learns this he says "teach me" to his instructor, if you will. 
I have that same feeling now...teach me. I follow you on twitter you have me convinced. I eat ok but not well enough. What should I do? Teach me oh ancient one.

I'm still figuring things out myself.

My best advice is write down 5 to 10 plant based foods you really enjoy. No animal products allowed. No meat, no cheese, no butter, no milk, no eggs.

Pasta with marinara, oatmeal, peanut butter jelly sammiches, bean burritos, etc. Eat fruit as a snack. Chips and Salsa as a guilty pleasure. Make sure you peep at labels to make sure no animal products.

Then, just eat those things for two weeks. That will help break your meat and cheese cravings. Then start branching out and eating more fresh leafy greens, veggies, fruits. Move away from processed foods as you go.

Make sure you get a B12 vitamin supplement. Target has them for cheap.

Archived