• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Revisiting Jonathan Allen at 8th pick

Jeremy Igo

10 minutes ago, Nails said:

Corey Williams was a DT that was tagged and traded.  Jared Allen, Matt Cassell, and maybe others as well.  Again, the number of tagged players period is small so the confluence of factors needed for everything to fall into place are many, but it does happen, and will happen again.

You don't "hear" about it as much as Cooks because the Cooks trade sounds imminent, the combine is in full swing, and FA hasn't started yet.

I wouldn't pay KK 100m period based on who the Panthers have (Butler, Star, etc.) but the Colts very well might.  They could assure him for less than he will likely (unless he totally sucks all of 2017 like he did early 2016) get on the open market next year.

Jared Allen is a great example. I completely spaced out and forgot about him. It worked there for sure. But 1st round picks weren't as valuable. But it's still an excellent example. I think it's crazy, but you've shown it's possible. Well done.

1 hour ago, SJTG4 said:

Explain then? WHY would you take another DL top 10 when we've taken so many DL in round 1 over the years? You know what's gonna happen right? Cam will still be running for his life, Cam will still have receivers not giving maximum effort and dropping the ball its a never ending cycle and its time to put a stop to it.

Name the last time the Panthers have picked  pass rusher in the top 10 (where the premium ones come from). 

You act like i don't like Fournette. I think he is great talent.  He doesn't play on the line, so he won't help Cam stop from running for his life.  

You don't pass on a premium pass rusher, especially for a RB. 

If you can't understand that, then there is nothing I can part on you to get you to understand. 

26 minutes ago, panthers34 said:

Those same great players are around him when he's playing against the run... I don't get your point.

Mayock and Jeremiah would both say he's a very good pass rusher as well. That's like saying KK isn't a good pass rusher because he's surrounded by a good front 7

Lol stupid. KK was a good interior pass rusher at Pittsburgh with little talents around him. 

12 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Name the last time the Pantherd have picked  pass rusher in the top 10 (where the premium ones come from). 

You act like i don't like Fournette. I think he is great talent.  He doesn't play on the line, so he won't help Cam stop from running for his life.  

You don't pass on a premium pass rusher, especially for a RB. 

If you can't understand that, then there is nothing I can part on you to get yoy to understand. 

I don't think it's as simple as you're trying to make it. I mean, who you pick depends upon your needs and projections as to who will make the most impact upon your team. Moreover, I know that you can get premium pass rushers in the top 10, but let's not act like you can't get a premium rusher outside the top 10, or even the top 32.

I realize the Bolts picked Bosa last year, and they should have considering their needs, but do you really think that Dallas would have picked Bosa over Zeke? It's still very much up in the air as to who will have the more prolific career, but the Cowboys are happy they have Zeke.

29 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Jared Allen is a great example. I completely spaced out and forgot about him. It worked there for sure. But 1st round picks weren't as valuable. But it's still an excellent example. I think it's crazy, but you've shown it's possible. Well done.

Revis too was traded for #13 overall and all sides agreed to a 6 year $96 million deal to the Bucs.

4 minutes ago, Nails said:

Revis too was traded for #13 overall and all sides agreed to a 6 year $96 million deal to the Bucs.

Stop it....I tapped...lol.

But that's not the best example of it working. But it's an example and a good one. Unlike many on here, I know I'm not right every time. 

NFL advisory suggested he move to DT, as his frame wasn't fit for 4-3 DE and he's isn't athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB or big enough for 3-4 DE. 

Not explosive for a 4-3 DE as a pass rusher, 1.74 split which is ehhh for a DE and good for a DT. same with his 40 time. His arm length also will give him issues in the NFL as a DE.

He's most definitely a DT in the NFL for a 4-3 team, he doesn't have the size, speed or skill trait for 4-3 End full time. 

He's more like a DT that can play outside then a DE that can play inside. 

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't think it's as simple as you're trying to make it. I mean, who you pick depends upon your needs and projections as to who will make the most impact upon your team. Moreover, I know that you can get premium pass rushers in the top 10, but let's not act like you can't get a premium rusher outside the top 10, or even the top 32.

I realize the Bolts picked Bosa last year, and they should have considering their needs, but do you really think that Dallas would have picked Bosa over Zeke? It's still very much up in the air as to who will have the more prolific career, but the Cowboys are happy they have Zeke.

No argument there. 

It was pretty easy to plug him in behind arguably the best oline in football, and they also didn't have a solid starter at RB. 

Archived