• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Revisiting Jonathan Allen at 8th pick

Jeremy Igo

13 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't think Fournette is a lock if Allen or Thomas is on the board. There are compelling arguments for either player. People who are just assuming Fournette will be the pick just because he's on the board are setting themselves up for disappointment. I'd suggest keeping an open mind about the draft in general.

This whole generational talent thing is getting out of hand as well.. Ppl are just throwing that title out to everybody..

Samething was said about Gurley, Elliot, even Harvey on here...

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yeah, I think Allen would beat out Fournette. DEs play longer in the NFL than RBs. More of a value pick long term.

Not only that, but the fifth year option on a DE is far more valuable than the option on a RB.  DE get paid big time...even average ones.

DL would be (and projecting a bit here based on Voth)...

DE - CJ, Horton, Addison, Ealy, Allen (Draft), Peppers (FA)  - - - not to mention looking ahead...CJ and Peppers would retire soon, Horton is replaceable, and Ealy will be in a contract year. DE is a HUGE need going forward for this team. 

DT - Star, KK, Butler, Love  - - - Allen could play inside a bit to add depth here on gameday, and an emergency plan in case something weird happens with KK (holdout, though doubtful) 

Pretty damn good IMO.  I'd get more excited about the Fournette pick, or Adams at S...but not denying that IF Allen proves he is and can stay healthy, it's the immediate steal of the draft at 8. 

We were going to put 6'6, 284 lbs Quinton Coples as a 3 technique DT if we drafted him.

No way we put 6'3, 286 lbs Jonathan Allen as a DE. He's a 3 technique DT and it's a very possible we draft him (and rescind our tag from Short)

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looking more possible that Allen drops to 8.

If he does, it will be the quickest selection in Gettleman history.

A stud 4-3 DE that can also play inside? Instant Kony Ealy upgrade and future pro bowler.

Why is this possible?  Reports as recently as this week out of Jacksonville are that he would not get past 4.

The shoulder issues and fit as an end have me less enthusiastic than Fournette or a true DE too.

Just now, AceMan said:

We were going to put 6'6, 284 lbs Quinton Coples as a 3 technique DT if we drafted him.

No way we put 6'3, 286 lbs Jonathan Allen as a DE. He's a 3 technique DT and it's a very possible we draft him (and rescind our tag from Short)

Dg has said over and over again he won't make that same mistake again..

No rescind..

Just now, stbugs said:

Maybe it's just me but Allen underwhelmed me during the playoffs. Although with the amazing athletes at TE and DE, I'll be honest that I'm not sure if Fournette is my favorite anymore at 8 if he's available. I think we may have a tough call. Damn 40 is going to be fun. I think we'll be getting 2 studs this year.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Same.

And for a guy who doesn't often see many double or ever triple teams due to Bama's talent on D he didn't do as much as he should've. The Washington game especially kind of made me rethink him

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Dg has said over and over again he won't make that same mistake again..

No rescind..

Maybe no rescind but a tag/trade.  I mean Brandin Cooks has 5 teams willing to give up a 1st, really?!  I'd take the Colts 15 overall straight up, and save the money.  Based on the Cooks market, the Grand Canyon sized hole on their DL, and the positional value, it has to be a possibility.

If the team goes defense in the first round. I hope the rest of the draft is spent on offense. The defense is only lacking a SS, slot CB, and DE. The first two positions can be filled by solid free agent acquisitions. Offense needs a TE, RB, and WR. This draft had one of the deepest RB and TE groups in the past 5 or six years. Also there are solid receivers in the draft that will complement KB and Funchess. Don't resign Philly and Bersin 

9 minutes ago, Nails said:

Maybe no rescind but a tag/trade.  I mean Brandin Cooks has 5 teams willing to give up a 1st, really?!  I'd take the Colts 15 overall straight up, and save the money.  Based on the Cooks market, the Grand Canyon sized hole on their DL, and the positional value, it has to be a possibility.

Cooks salary is 1.56M for this year, and a 5th year option for next. KK would cost 17/M year. Not remotely the same.

definitely don't need a RB in the top 10. this draft is very deep at that position.

hopefully gettleman agrees and goes DL or OL in round 1. a great RB with a poor OL is useless.

hopefully garett bolles falls to 8. if not then any of the DL prospects are fine with me.

11 minutes ago, Nails said:

I don't think he will trade the best Dlinemen he has unless he is getting a early 1st and 2nd. .

Unless Short's agent can get a deal north of 17 mil a year..He will be here for this year and until Veron proves he ready to take his spot..

Just now, Toomers said:

Cooks salary is 1.56M for this year, and a 5th year option for next. KK would cost 17/M year. Not remotely the same.

I understand that, but no team would be crazy enough to trade a 1st for only one year of cheap salary, they'd inevitably want to lock Cooks up long term.  DJax may get $12 APY at age 30, what will Cooks get?  

Considering positional value AND salary considering Cooks cheap one is only this year, no sane way KK doesn't have more value.

Archived