• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Revisiting Jonathan Allen at 8th pick

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looking more possible that Allen drops to 8.

If he does, it will be the quickest selection in Gettleman history.

A stud 4-3 DE that can also play inside? Instant Kony Ealy upgrade and future pro bowler.

Who will only play 40% defensive snaps while a guy like Fournette who is more talented player will 

play 90% of the snaps & elevate every player around him.

Of course stopping opposing DEs from scrambling Newton's head.

I honestly would take Thomas over him. Think he is a better fit as a 4-3 edge guy. Better flexability and quickness coming off the edge.
Allen is a great athlete but a little to stiff for a true edge guy. Kid has everything for a all-pro 3-4 DE though.
We need something in between Barnett and Allen.

Barnett small quick off the edge but wont hold up in run support as a hands down 4-3 DE. Almost a clone of Demarcus Ware
Allen bigger stockier with less bend. Has that interior quickness where he feast, but just doesnt have it to come around the edge.

Sent from my SM-T710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Combine drills shouldn't change rankings that much..

College tape is the most important..

Agree. But Solomon Thomas had mostly played inside DL/5-tech at stanford.

So, I think the combine drills show us how he appears to fit as 4-3 DE.

17 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I honestly would take Thomas over him. Think he is a better fit as a 4-3 edge guy. Better flexability and quickness coming off the edge.
Allen is a great athlete but a little to stiff for a true edge guy. Kid has everything for a all-pro 3-4 DE though.
We need something in between Barnett and Allen.

Barnett small quick off the edge but wont hold up in run support as a hands down 4-3 DE. Almost a clone of Demarcus Ware
Allen bigger stockier with less bend. Has that interior quickness where he feast, but just doesnt have it to come around the edge.

What the fug have you been watching. Thomas didn't edge rush, he lined up as a 5 tech and even a nose at times his whole career and never beat an OT around his outside shoulder for a sack. It's not my opinion it's a fact. Watch the sack highlights of this great Solomon Thomas and this is what you will see, a guy releasing inside and beating a guard, running in a straight line to the QB

I don't think Fournette is a lock if Allen or Thomas is on the board. There are compelling arguments for either player. People who are just assuming Fournette will be the pick just because he's on the board are setting themselves up for disappointment. I'd suggest keeping an open mind about the draft in general.

What the fug have you been watching. Thomas didn't edge rush, he lined up as a 5 tech and even a nose at times his whole career and never beat an OT around his outside shoulder for a sack. It's not my opinion it's a fact. Watch the sack highlights of this great Solomon Thomas and this is what you will see, a guy releasing inside and beating a guard, running in a straight line to the QB

He lined up at pretty much the exact same spot as Allen. Both teams play a 3-4 and both played DE in those scemes. But if you watch you can see he athletic abilty. He has shown flashes whipping around the edge showing his ability. Allen on the other hand you never see that.

Archived