• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Revisiting Jonathan Allen at 8th pick

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, RockyTopVol said:

I don't even care if he is a DT in our defense. He's too talented to ignore. Passing on guys like that is what can set a franchise back. Again let me remind you that we had a pro bowl MLB when we drafted Kuechly.
Still, I think Allen will be gone along with Adams and Fournette. I predict we are choosing between Hooker and Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I think the hooker pick would be awesome. IDK if Coleman is a great SS, but having Hooker automatically upgrades the whole secondary.   I've watched this hooker highlight video about 50 times now

30 minutes ago, RockyTopVol said:

I don't even care if he is a DT in our defense. He's too talented to ignore. Passing on guys like that is what can set a franchise back. Again let me remind you that we had a pro bowl MLB when we drafted Kuechly.
Still, I think Allen will be gone along with Adams and Fournette. I predict we are choosing between Hooker and Thomas.

Preaching to the choir. Like you, I've seen way too much of him. Just glad we don't have to play him anymore. I watched him chase down Tre Mason on a 40 yd run as a FR in 2013. I wanted him to come out last year, but he wouldn't have fell that far then either. Seen every game since and he's a beast. Him or Thomas are both fine with me.

I agree that I'd much rather have Thomas, but 4.69 to 5.00 to me also says that Thomas has the speed to get around the corner and Allen is purely a DT or a Wes Horton run DE. There's explosion as well, but there's also the ability to chase down a QB and 40 time can be the difference between a sack/throwaway or an escape/completion.
I want Thomas no doubt.

I wouldnt even say it helps there.
That 20 yard shuttle would show more there. Guys are running 15-20 yards max coming off the edge going for the QB. The 40 is cool and all but how fast they get out the gate/short sprints, how quick they change direction, and how they explode is the what you really need to know

Sent from my SM-T710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

2 hours ago, chbright said:

Jpep v Luke agree  go jpep. If both tier 1 pep wins. I don't remember but was there another jpep when we took Luke? Doubtful, so take tier one over a reach to a second tier

It ended up working out because luke is a great player Beason started getting hurt and we got star and Kk a year or 2 later.. But Fletcher Cox was availble when Marty made that pick..

Allen my ass lol

If Fournette and Allen are on the board we take Fournette and it won't even be close. Matter of fact I wish/hope it happens so you can see.

Allen lookin rough too in the combine...another Bama product who faced 0 double teams...could be a good DT but yall talking nonsense about DE...lol dood has the explosiveness of a 80 year old white man(compared to the other top DL)

I first reviewed Allens tapes about 3 weeks ago and wasn't impressed in the slightest with what I saw and didn't understand why he was being spoken about as a top 5 talent
I reviewed Thomas about 2 weeks ago and I was straight on that train. Thomas just looks immense. I went from us wanting to take an offensive player 100% to raving about Thomas and wanting us to take him. Thomas is the pick at 8 if he's there but I really don't see him falling

1 hour ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

Charlton is going to be the best DE of this class, it ain't hard to tell he's the freak of this class. Charlton is blue chip. 

Talking about taking Allen at 8 but scoffing at taking Charlton at 8 LOL LOL LOL

Charlton is way better than fat piece of fug Allen

Lol

I knew I wasn't the only one that didn't see anything special  about Allen or anything we dont already have at least. 

We need athletes that can move, if we hadn't of took Big vern last year I would be more for allen but it's really not a big difference to me far as the type of player. 

45 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I knew I wasn't the only one that didn't see anything special  about Allen or anything we dont already have at least. 

We need athletes that can move, if we hadn't of took Big vern last year I would be more for allen but it's really not a big difference to me far as the type of player. 

Guess the only game you've watched is the national championship of Allen, right?

You understand this guy was far and away the best defender in college, and I dare say more productive than Myles Garrett?

Plus, you understand he's not going to be a DT in the NFL, right?

Allen weighed in at the combine at 286, that's heavy for a 4-3 DE but not absurd. Both now and in the past the Panthers used ends at or close to 280 pounds such as Hardy(280) and Ealy(275), and Charles Johnson(285). We could easily draft Allen and ask him to lose a couple of pounds, it wouldn't be a substantial amount.

I'm not sure why it's difficult for people to imagine him as a DE in the NFL. He played end at Alabama, and he doesn't have the weight of a nose tackle or even plus sized 3-tech.

In the Panthers' 4-3 scheme I could see Allen as a end on first and second down. On third down he could go inside while Short kicks out to end. If not, I can see the opposite on 3rd down situations as well.

Additionally, we want to give Mario Addison more snaps so adding more run-stopping would make up for his deficiencies. 286 isn't too big to be an end in a 4-3 and with his talent the Panthers will figure out a way to utilize him.

I laugh everytime mentions Allen as a pure DT. 

Archived