• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just saw Get Out

Jeremy Igo

While the movie genre was intentionally done as a "thriller" to draw in the audience, the real theme is the satire of today's sociological hypocrisy and race in America. 

Personally, I think horror movies are useless, unless we go old school (The Birds, Psycho, the original Frankenstein and others). But I'll probably watch this to see how Peele takes on race and culture amidst the horror theme. 

21 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

So I'm not the only one who hates scary movies!

Nope. But not the same reason. As a kid they'd scare me but I liked them but I've since grown out of them. Every horror movie I've seen since being a young lad has been horrible, silly and just stupid and a massive waste of my time. Just have no interest at all in the genre. Now of course they are different than thriller type of movies with real plots, I do like those. Just not the "horror" or "scary" movie genres.

9 hours ago, thomas96 said:

Nope. But not the same reason. As a kid they'd scare me but I liked them but I've since grown out of them. Every horror movie I've seen since being a young lad has been horrible, silly and just stupid and a massive waste of my time. Just have no interest at all in the genre. Now of course they are different than thriller type of movies with real plots, I do like those. Just not the "horror" or "scary" movie genres.

My issue with a lot of the modern movies is I think a load of the people making them don't know what the word "suspense" means.

A load of fake blood & guts and/or people getting tortured is not scary. Unpleasant for certain, but being truly scary requires suspense.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jeremy Igo

just saw a video on Facebook by a page called Cycle (they do cool clips about movies). In this video they stated cool facts about the movie i.e. it made 100 mil on a 4.5 mil budget. Anyway, it said Peele got influences from Eddie murphies delirious and Rosemary's Baby. So, the sequel thing is an interesting take on this movie. It pays homage to Rosemary's Baby but carefuly makes you think it could be a sequel. Very good eye, sir.

7 hours ago, The Lobo said:

@Jeremy Igo

just saw a video on Facebook by a page called Cycle (they do cool clips about movies). In this video they stated cool facts about the movie i.e. it made 100 mil on a 4.5 mil budget. Anyway, it said Peele got influences from Eddie murphies delirious and Rosemary's Baby. So, the sequel thing is an interesting take on this movie. It pays homage to Rosemary's Baby but carefuly makes you think it could be a sequel. Very good eye, sir.

A studios dream scenario is nothing but Blair Witch type movies that cost peanuts make 100 million. Seems Blumenthal studio has a good formula going. 

22 minutes ago, pstall said:

A studios dream scenario is nothing but Blair Witch type movies that cost peanuts make 100 million. Seems Blumenthal studio has a good formula going. 

For sure. The Purge was very similar. 1 mil budget and made a poo ton just on opening weekend alone.

14 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

For sure. The Purge was very similar. 1 mil budget and made a poo ton just on opening weekend alone.

It seems they want to be like New Line was many years ago and just own thst niche.  Horror films have always been highly profitable. 

• 2 months later...

This was very Twilight Zone. That said, the Twilight Zone showed us what we don't want to see. 

Africans Americans have been hypnotized by progressive/ liberals promises for a hundred plus years, for votes. 

51 years( which is sad all on its own) but had to build a base.

I saw it last week.  Dumbest movie I have seen in a while.  I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen and when it did it was as if the writing was being done by 10 year olds.  Awful movie.  Take away the black dimension and it wouldnt have made it to any movie theatres.

There's a TON of stuff going on in this movie that people aren't really mentioning.   A lot of parallel's to African American life in America.   I didn't pick up on most of it but after I watched it this weekend I did a bit of research and it's pretty neat.   I think the movie was OK, I probably won't ever watch it again and I don't think it's as good as some, but it was an entertaining movie with some smart themes/hidden meanings.   Pretty crazy for the budget though.  

The main actor was great in a Black Mirror episode as well, check out that show.  

Archived