• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just saw Get Out

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I've heard nothing but great things about that movie. Good start for Jordan Peele as a director.  

I want to see it but don't do scary movies much and never in a theater. I'll check it out at home, with the lights on, one eye covered, and bundled up in a Snuggie. 

So I'm not the only one who hates scary movies!

Great film. I'd consider it situational horror. It's great because at first, what do you do because it's your girls parents...what can you say. It was a wonderful take on the awkwardness and somewhat unnerving feeling of meeting a significant others parents for the first time. The film Eraserhead did an excellent job in one of its scenes in that movie. 

I did get a Rosemary baby vibe in, due to the nature of behavior from the other family members that come over mid way through the film. During the Bingo scene, it made me feel like the scene near the end of Rosemary's baby when the bad guys chant hail satan.

For his first film, it was excellent. I look forward to more of his work.

6 hours ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I've heard nothing but great things about that movie. Good start for Jordan Peele as a director.  

I want to see it but don't do scary movies much and never in a theater. I'll check it out at home, with the lights on, one eye covered, and bundled up in a Snuggie. 

just a heads up non-spoiler review. I saw it with a bunch of guy friends and we all openly admitted that we don't like scary movies before hand and we all liked it but I understand if you want to wait. It's not absolutely necessary to see in theaters. 

7 hours ago, The Lobo said:

Great film. I'd consider it situational horror. It's great because at first, what do you do because it's your girls parents...what can you say. It was a wonderful take on the awkwardness and somewhat unnerving feeling of meeting a significant others parents for the first time. The film Eraserhead did an excellent job in one of its scenes in that movie. 

I did get a Rosemary baby vibe in, due to the nature of behavior from the other family members that come over mid way through the film. During the Bingo scene, it made me feel like the scene near the end of Rosemary's baby when the bad guys chant hail satan.

For his first film, it was excellent. I look forward to more of his work.

I noticed the following about Rosemary's Baby connections... 

The main female character's name is Rose. Short for Rosemary? 

The grandfather of the family who invented the procedure was named Roman. Roman was the name of the antagonist in Rosemary's Baby. The elder leader of the cult. 

The Roman in Get Out and the Roman in Rosemary's Baby look a whole lot alike. I thought it was the same actor but can't be. 

Chris lived in a cool new york apartment. So did Rosemary. 

Each movie contained weird sort of psychedelic cut scenes when falling under the spell of the antagonists. 

Retro furniture and televisions from the 1960s throughout the film, even in Chris apartment. 

Lamps in the weird room with the television were spheres that resembles the cult necklaces in Rosemary's Baby. 

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Well done! I didn't even think of those examples. Do you think it was more of shout out to the movie rather than a sequel? Wouldn't it have to have the same cult from Rosemary's baby to be a sequel? Unless the cult somehow evolved to what it is in Get Out. This movie just got better if they are related in some way.

Now that I think about it, the opening credits song and ending credits song had some sort of chanting in it, could it some sort of chant related to the cult?

Just now, The Lobo said:

Well done! I didn't even think of those examples. Do you think it was more of shout out to the movie rather than a sequel? Wouldn't it have to have the same cult from Rosemary's baby to be a sequel? Unless the cult somehow evolved to what it is in Get Out. This movie just got better if they are related in some way.

Now that I think about it, the opening credits song and ending credits song had some sort of chanting in it, could it some sort of chant related to the cult?

Yep, the music too. Forgot to mention that. Very weird. 

I don't think it has be a literal sequel, could be more like fan fiction by Peele to play with the premise and make it vaguely a sequel without saying so. No studio permission for that. Either way, there are way too many similarities for it to be coincidence. 

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hide contents

The main female character's name is Rose. Short for Rosemary? 

The grandfather of the family who invented the procedure was named Roman. Roman was the name of the antagonist in Rosemary's Baby. The elder leader of the cult. 

The Roman in Get Out and the Roman in Rosemary's Baby look a whole lot alike. I thought it was the same actor but can't be. 

Chris lived in a cool new york apartment. So did Rosemary. 

Each movie contained weird sort of psychedelic cut scenes when falling under the spell of the antagonists. 

Retro furniture and televisions from the 1960s throughout the film, even in Chris apartment. 

Lamps in the weird room with the television were spheres that resembles the cult necklaces in Rosemary's Baby. 

The director of Rosemary's Baby was also named Roman (Polanski).

Does sound like they pulled from that as a source. From what I've read, the ultimate plot almost sounds closer to The Skeleton Key (very creepy movie from a few years ago) or another lesser movie I saw some time back whose name escapes me (I'll have to look it up).

21 hours ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I watch horror movies alone at 3am with all the lights off.

You and I are gonna have a scary movie marathon someday.

Archived