• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"He is the type of back that you build your team around"

UNCrules2187

Okay, back on topic.

The guy makes an interesting point, that Williams has such an innate skill set that it would benefit a team to build around him, rather than the other way around.

Do you think we utilize Williams to the fullest extent of his ability? I don't think there's much Williams can't handle. He's proven effective up the middle or to the outside, busting through for short gains or breaking out for a long one.

That being said, I don't think we get Williams the ball in space as much as we should. I would be very happy if we used Williams more like the Eagles use Westbrook, or, to a smaller degree, like the Saints use Bush.

What DeAngelo shares with these two backs is his ability to catch the ball and make defenders miss for more yards after the catch. Williams might be a more powerful back than Westbrook (we all know he is a better inside runner than Bush). Think of how much our passing game and even more "traditional" running game would open up if we used DeAngelo in this manner. I'd love to see DeAngelo line up as a receiver with Stewart in the backfield.

But what took so long? At least one Panthers official attributes it to patience, saying, "He had a horrible offensive line in college, so he had to create his big play opportunities. When he entered the league, he still didn't trust the offensive line and would try to bounce everything outside instead of staying with the play. As he has matured, he has learned how to stay on track and let his big plays come to him."

I thought this was the most interesting part of the article. Williams racked up the most yards in NCAA history behind a lackluster offensive line. I can't wait to see what happens when our offensive line gels and Williams begins to trust them more and anticipate their every move.

funny how things turn, at the beginning of the year NOBODY beleived in DeAngelo, after Foster left, they thought he didn't have what it took to be the "main" back..then comes JStew and the media automatically thought he would be the starter..i remember one of my co workers saying " Looks like the rookie would be the starter" but i KNEW DeAngelo would be the man, and i'm glad to see him gettin' his props. I think the SMASH n DASH combo is underrated. I also think DeAngelo should get a stamp for the "wildcat" offense..after all ..we ran it on Atlanta a year or 2 ago EVERY SINGLE PLAY almost...

I have to admit it, until this year I knew D will had the ability but we had never seen him get the consistency, I know he had great YPC but didnt carry the load, I now realize he is what I think of as the perfect back, quick explosion, power, slashing/moves, and sick stiff arms. I am so happy we drafted the NCAA all time leader of all purpose yards, AKA fuking beastman

funny how things turn, at the beginning of the year NOBODY beleived in DeAngelo, after Foster left, they thought he didn't have what it took to be the "main" back..then comes JStew and the media automatically thought he would be the starter..i remember one of my co workers saying " Looks like the rookie would be the starter" but i KNEW DeAngelo would be the man, and i'm glad to see him gettin' his props. I think the SMASH n DASH combo is underrated. I also think DeAngelo should get a stamp for the "wildcat" offense..after all ..we ran it on Atlanta a year or 2 ago EVERY SINGLE PLAY almost...

I imagine there were some non-believers, but I wasn't one of them. I knew what DLo did in college and saw it. I heard the comparisons to Barry Sanders, and although those are HUGE shoes to fill (he's my favorite RB ever btw), and I thought they were pretty accurate. I saw Deshaun run like crap and DLo come in and look explosive. No knock on Deshaun because I thought he had all the potential in the world to be a great back, I dunno what happened.

But, anyway, I say all this to say, I saw it from the beginning and I knew Deangelo was gonna be great. The only threads you may have heard me comment on were ones saying, "why aren't we starting him yet?" from last year. I'm so stoked about our running game this year.

If I recall correctly, there was more than one national scribe that had Williams losing out to Stewart, and at least one of our local guys (Gantt) made a similar prediction. No knocks on Stewart from me, but it's clear Williams is better than a lot of folks thought he'd be.

What I like most about Williams is his work ethic and desire to make himself the best he can be. He's likely one of the few guys on the team that could rival Steve Smith in that area.

If he continues to improve, the sky really is the limit.

Do you think we utilize Williams to the fullest extent of his ability? I don't think there's much Williams can't handle. He's proven effective up the middle or to the outside, busting through for short gains or breaking out for a long one.

That being said, I don't think we get Williams the ball in space as much as we should. I would be very happy if we used Williams more like the Eagles use Westbrook, or, to a smaller degree, like the Saints use Bush.

I do not understand why we do not throw to our backs more.

Archived