• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cook over Fournette?

Jeremy Igo

Pass Blocking shouldn't be the be all end all factor to drafting a RB. With that said, it is a desirable trait. The one piece of Cooks game that I look at is his ball security. It's horrid. He's fumbled so much and reminds me a lot of DeAngelo in many ways. Sure he's shifty, can get YAC and makes people miss. But the fumbles in this league and with this team will be the worst thing you can do when trying to get momentum. 

I see Fournette as a better option, his size, speed, strength, ball security and pass blocking is better. He does fit the mold more than Cook. 

If we do pick cook I will be weary. Just because of those fumbles. 

4 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

According to you? Mccaffrey? LMAO. He's not even top 3

Know I might root even harder for the panthers to draft Cook, just to throw this in your face. This archaic way of thinking is what results in never having back to back winning seasons.

What archaic way if thinking? Are you suggesting to me that a team should be pass happy as opposed to running the ball until someone stops it. Are you suggesting to me that you shouldn't use the run to set up the pass? Are you telling me that a team should draft someone in the first round that has a history of making bad decisions off the field, regardless of possible consequences?  

Furthermore, regarding McCaffrey, he is the consensus third ranked back in this draft. This is pretty amazing considering that he is a surefire change of pace type of back. 

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

What archaic way if thinking? Are you suggesting to me that a team should be pass happy as opposed to running the ball until someone stops it. Are you suggesting to me that you shouldn't use the run to set up the pass? Are you telling me that a team should draft someone in the first round that has a history of making bad decisions off the field, regardless of possible consequences?  

Furthermore, regarding McCaffrey, he is the consensus third ranked back in this draft. This is pretty amazing considering that he is a surefire change of pace type of back. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the two team that played in the SB were both pass first teams who used the RB as pass catchers, not as blockers. Either way the whole notion of "we got to pound the ball to win" is more outdated than god knows what. Cook has never been suspended or arrested or anything with bad off field decision, it looks like your slandering a kids name just cause you don't want us to draft him

Not really, by all account Kamara was surpassed Mccaffrey aka Reggie Bush jr

9 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the two team that played in the SB were both pass first teams who used the RB as pass catchers, not as blockers. Either way the whole notion of "we got to pound the ball to win" is more outdated than god knows what. Cook has never been suspended or arrested or anything with bad off field decision, it looks like your slandering a kids name just cause you don't want us to draft him

Not really, by all account Kamara was surpassed Mccaffrey aka Reggie Bush jr

Slandering his name? Are you fuging kidding me? Hyperbolic much!

"Cook previously was charged with criminal mischief in Tallahassee following an incident in June 2014. He was one of several players involved in an alleged bb-gun shooting that caused property damage that exceeded $200 and was less than $1,000. Cook was charged with criminal mischief and given pre-trial intervention in December, which he completed last month, according to Fox Sports.

"The incident along with failing to appear for a scheduled court date disqualified him from being given a civil citation or a notice to appear in court in connection with the latest misdemeanor battery charge. Instead, the arrest warrant was issued and, despite bring bond money with him to the  jail, Cook spent a few hours in detention Friday night and early Saturday morning. 

"As a juvenile, Cook was arrested and charged with robbery in 2009, according to files obtained through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Prosecutors opted to drop the case. Cook was also arrested and charged with firing a weapon and possessing a weapon at an event on school property in 2010, according to FDLE records. The third-degree felony charge was dropped or abandoned. "

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-state-seminoles/os-fsu-dalvin-cook-accused-battery-20150710-story,amp.html

Don't give me the "That was back then speech!"  The fact is is that if you get in trouble as a teen a couple of times, and get off (probably because people extended you grace), and then you end up in trouble again five years later and get a slap on the wrist, and then is at least involved in a group that perpetrates some type of detestable act in 2015, that shows some lack of judgement to say the least.

I could see if he had been in trouble one time. Perhaps that wouldn't even be worth discussing, but if you are suggesting to me that the above history should not be considered, especially considering Carolina's history and culture, then you obviously are more concerned with drafting the dude at all costs (probably above even Fournette, considering all you've been saying).

For the record, I believe in second chances, but if a person just keeps on getting into trouble formally, then that doesn't speak to all the things they may have done behind the scenes. Cook has been given multiple chances in his life, and good for him that he seems to have stayed out of trouble for the last year and a half, but what you must ask yourself is, "Should we gamble on a kid with our first round pick that might be that proverbial 'ticking time bomb' as Gettleman puts it?" There are better options as I see it, not only in round one, but rounds two also! And, like it or not, McCaffrey could EASILY be one of them if you're looking for a change of pace back.

48 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Slandering his name? Are you fuging kidding me? Hyperbolic much!

"Cook previously was charged with criminal mischief in Tallahassee following an incident in June 2014. He was one of several players involved in an alleged bb-gun shooting that caused property damage that exceeded $200 and was less than $1,000. Cook was charged with criminal mischief and given pre-trial intervention in December, which he completed last month, according to Fox Sports.

"The incident along with failing to appear for a scheduled court date disqualified him from being given a civil citation or a notice to appear in court in connection with the latest misdemeanor battery charge. Instead, the arrest warrant was issued and, despite bring bond money with him to the  jail, Cook spent a few hours in detention Friday night and early Saturday morning. 

"As a juvenile, Cook was arrested and charged with robbery in 2009, according to files obtained through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Prosecutors opted to drop the case. Cook was also arrested and charged with firing a weapon and possessing a weapon at an event on school property in 2010, according to FDLE records. The third-degree felony charge was dropped or abandoned. "

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-state-seminoles/os-fsu-dalvin-cook-accused-battery-20150710-story,amp.html

Don't give me the "That was back then speech!"  The fact is is that if you get in trouble as a teen a couple of times, and get off (probably because people extended you grace), and then you end up in trouble again five years later and get a slap on the wrist, and then is at least involved in a group that perpetrates some type of detestable act in 2015, that shows some lack of judgement to say the least.

I could see if he had been in trouble one time. Perhaps that wouldn't even be worth discussing, but if you are suggesting to me that the above history should not be considered, especially considering Carolina's history and culture, then you obviously are more concerned with drafting the dude at all costs (probably above even Fournette, considering all you've been saying).

For the record, I believe in second chances, but if a person just keeps on getting into trouble formally, then that doesn't speak to all the things they may have done behind the scenes. Cook has been given multiple chances in his life, and good for him that he seems to have stayed out of trouble for the last year and a half, but what you must ask yourself is, "Should we gamble on a kid with our first round pick that might be that proverbial 'ticking time bomb' as Gettleman puts it?" There are better options as I see it, not only in round one, but rounds two also! And, like it or not, McCaffrey could EASILY be one of them if you're looking for a change of pace back.

Oh good god he was using a BB gun what a delinquent, I hope they throw him in prison and never let him out. LOL

So apparently you can have all charges dropped against you and still be guilty according to the outstanding citizen "top dawg".

You do know Cam has way more off field baggage?  

Its funny how you clearly avoid talking about the two teams in the SB to try and prove a point. And please tell me the lottery numbers and since apparently you can see the future seeing how you so positive we will draft Mccaffrey before Cook.

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

Oh good god he was using a BB gun what a delinquent, I hope they throw him in prison and never let him out. LOL

So apparently you can have all charges dropped against you and still be guilty according to the outstanding citizen "top dawg".

You do know Cam has way more off field baggage?  

Its funny how you clearly avoid talking about the two teams in the SB to try and prove a point. And please tell me the lottery numbers and since apparently you can see the future seeing how you so positive we will draft Mccaffrey before Cook.

So, two teams in the Super Bowl THIS year is supposed to prove something? What in the world, dude?  Who was in the Super Bowl in 2016? 

Yeah, his only problem has been a BB gun...OK.  

Go ahead and conveniently overlook everything I've told you in order to stick to your belief that Cook is definitely going to be a better pick for us than McCaffrey and even Fournette (and everyone else) in order to clutch to your narrative. It's you that has the crystal ball. All I've tried to do is present you some absolute facts that will be considered when making decisions to draft a running back this year, and why the Panthers---with their run first mentality, and desire for smart, upstanding citizens, regardless if you like it or not---may see one back as preferable over another. Honestly, if it's not Fournette, I could care less about drafting Cook or McCaffrey in the first. I don't think either is the prototypical Panthers running back (which is my preference).  If Gettleman picks Cook (Fournette, McCaffrey, or whomever), you won't hear me whining about it. I have never ever been upset with day one or two picks, regardless.  I just believe that one should make picks with their eyes wide open, and I'm sure that Gettleman will. It's you who has the tunnel vision. Objectivity is apparently not your strong suit.  

Oh, and LOL trying to compare Cam's problems as a young man to Cook's.  This just further proves that emotion trumps objectivity in your world pertaining to Cook.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

So, two teams in the Super Bowl THIS year is supposed to prove something? What in the world, dude?  Who was in the Super Bowl in 2016? 

Yeah, his only problem has been a BB gun...OK.  

Go ahead and conveniently overlook everything I've told you in order to stick to your belief that Cook is definitely going to be a better pick for us than McCaffrey and even Fournette (and everyone else) in order to clutch to your narrative. It's you that has the crystal ball. All I've tried to do is present you some absolute facts that will be considered when making decisions to draft a running back this year, and why the Panthers---with their run first mentality, and desire for smart, upstanding citizens, regardless if you like it or not---may see one back as preferable over another. Honestly, if it's not Fournette, I could care less about drafting Cook or McCaffrey in the first. I don't think either is the prototypical Panthers running back (which is my preference).  If Gettleman picks Cook (Fournette, McCaffrey, or whomever), you won't hear me whining about it. I have never ever been upset with day one or two picks, regardless.  I just believe that one should make picks with their eyes wide open, and I'm sure that Gettleman will. It's you who has the tunnel vision. Objectivity is apparently not your strong suit.  

Oh, and LOL trying to compare Cam's problems as a young man to Cook's.  This just further proves that emotion trumps objectivity in your world pertaining to Cook.

Yes is supposed to mean something, the best offenses usually have receiving threats out of the backfield.

And yes the BB gun was the only problem, you are bring up garbage he wasn't even charged for when he was 15 years old. You have your own court of conviction

Its not belief I know for a fact Cook is better than Mccaffrey. And I already said I would take Fournette over him but since you have a thick skull its hard for you to comprehend. And theirs no such thing as "prototypical panthers RB" the best RB we ever had was Deangelo who wasn't a bruiser by any means, and if your not willing to change and adapt your philosophy you get left behind. And of course you have no courage of your conviction, you will be happy with anyone Gettleman drafts.

Cam had as much baggage as Cook and you know it, but since it doesn't fit your agenda you won't admit it. Personally I don't care

55 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Yes is supposed to mean something, the best offenses usually have receiving threats out of the backfield.

And yes the BB gun was the only problem, you are bring up garbage he wasn't even charged for when he was 15 years old. You have your own court of conviction

Its not belief I know for a fact Cook is better than Mccaffrey. And I already said I would take Fournette over him but since you have a thick skull its hard for you to comprehend. And theirs no such thing as "prototypical panthers RB" the best RB we ever had was Deangelo who wasn't a bruiser by any means, and if your not willing to change and adapt your philosophy you get left behind. And of course you have no courage of your conviction, you will be happy with anyone Gettleman drafts.

Cam had as much baggage as Cook and you know it, but since it doesn't fit your agenda you won't admit it. Personally I don't care

Cam absolutely did not have as much baggage as Cook. Period! He had a little baggage, but definitively improved his ways, and the rest is history. 

As for Gettleman and calling it like I see it, I have as much conviction as anyone on the Huddle.  On an off note, I believe I am one of the more objective posters in general. So don't presume to suggest that I don't have "courage of conviction" as it pertains to Gettleman, Cam, Rivera or anyone else. They've all gotten well-deserved praise, and earned some highly objective criticism from my lips. 

Being "content" with Gettleman's draft picks, and being "happy" with them are two different things. Unlike you it seems, I realize that there is more than one way to build a successful team.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Cam absolutely did not have as much baggage as Cook. Period! He had a little baggage, but definitively improved his ways, and the rest is history. 

As for Gettleman and calling it like I see it, I have as much conviction as anyone on the Huddle.  On an off note, I believe I am one of the more objective posters in general. So don't presume to suggest that I don't have "courage of conviction" as it pertains to Gettleman, Cam, Rivera or anyone else. They've all gotten well-deserved praise, and earned some highly objective criticism from my lips. 

Being "content" with Gettleman's draft picks, and being "happy" with them are two different things. Unlike you it seems, I realize that there is more than one way to build a successful team.

Getting in trouble for a BB gun or stealing a lab top? I have never heard a word about being a off field issue guy until this month, he barely even talks.

You just said you don't want Cook, but you will never hear me whining or be upset about a pick just cause Gettleman picked him, you just contradicted yourself. If Gettleman drafts another bench warmer or Mccafrey with the 8th pick I will scold him like I always do. Till this day I said picking Thompson over Collins was a horrible choice.

And actually you don't think theirs more than one way, you keep saying how "we need a physical back to pound the rock". That's what we have been doing since forever and still hasn't resulted in back to back winning seasons. Our approach this offseason and in game design has to change this year or it's gonna be another long season.

On 2/10/2017 at 1:34 PM, GoobyPls said:

I've always said Stewart was a great pass blocker but this whole notion we need a great pass blocking back to be successful is insane. This is 2017 and the panthers are trying to play 1960s football, we need a RB that can be receiving threat. This is the new NFL you either adapt or get left behind.

What??? Insane you say??? With Micheal Oher who had his brains scrambled and is one hit away from retirement and Mike rim job Remmers? The guy who holds/has false starts/can't pass block worth his own ass. Yep okay, I guess we had better start running Andy Reid's offense. 

Spoiler alert: The Coryell. Oh and Shula. Deep routes. 

Archived