• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cook over Fournette?

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's on Shula! Stewart used to be one of the better pass catching RBs. He just didn't get sorry at receiving. 

Since when???? Stewart has only had one season with over 200 receiving yards, for comparison sakes Peterson who isn't considered a good receiving back has 4 seasons with over 200 receiving yards. 

Stewart has dropped more flat passes than I can even remember.  He has stone hands.

18 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Since when???? Stewart has only had one season with over 200 receiving yards, for comparison sakes Peterson who isn't considered a good receiving back has 4 seasons with over 200 receiving yards. 

Stewart has dropped more flat passes than I can even remember.  He has stone hands.

I don't mean that he was a pass catching RB, just that he was effective when used in the passing game. 

In 2011, he had 47 receptions. That's a lot.

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't mean that he was a pass catching RB, just that he was effective when used in the passing game. 

In 2011, he had 47 receptions. That's a lot.

That one season is an anomaly. Fozzy with 1/3 the snaps of Stewart had more receiving yards. Tolbert had more receiving yards. The main reason Stewart has high a blocking grade is cause the coaches know he can't catch so might as well leave him blocking.

1 minute ago, GoobyPls said:

That one season is an anomaly. Fozzy with 1/3 the snaps of Stewart had more receiving yards. Tolbert had more receiving yards. The main reason Stewart has high a blocking grade is cause the coaches know he can't catch so might as well leave him blocking.

It may be an anomaly, but he did it, and quite effectively I might add.

Look, Goobs, you made a good point regarding his career pass catching yardage, but then you totally erase it by saying the "main reason" Stewart has a high blocking grade is because the coaches leave him in to block. That's just...asinine, to be frank. It devalues Stewart's blocking prowess, as well as belittles the effort and methods of PFF.

1 hour ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

Fournette is going to the Jets unless they go Watson

Maybe so.  But one other little nugget to store is that Todd Bowles is s former DB himself, so if they can take the top corner or safety that may tip the scales too.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It may be an anomaly, but he did it, and quite effectively I might add.

Look, Goobs, you made a good point regarding his career pass catching yardage, but then you totally erase it by saying the "main reason" Stewart has a high blocking grade is because the coaches leave him in to block. That's just...asinine, to be frank. It devalues Stewart's blocking prowess, as well as belittles the effort and methods of PFF.

I've always said Stewart was a great pass blocker but this whole notion we need a great pass blocking back to be successful is insane. This is 2017 and the panthers are trying to play 1960s football, we need a RB that can be receiving threat. This is the new NFL you either adapt or get left behind.

25 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

I've always said Stewart was a great pass blocker but this whole notion we need a great pass blocking back to be successful is insane. This is 2017 and the panthers are trying to play 1960s football, we need a RB that can be receiving threat. This is the new NFL you either adapt or get left behind.

An RBs first job is to run. If you can move the chains by running, then you don't need to pass. The young version of Peterson was the gold standard for nearly a decade. It hasn't been so long that Lynch carried Seattle to a championship! Effectively running the ball is ALWAYS preferable to passing. Now, of course, it is also preferable to have a running back who can catch, but what you must remember that the goal is to get a complete back that can do everything---including being an every down back. Fournette is that back! He can run, block and catch on every down if need be.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

An RBs first job is to run. If you can move the chains by running, then you don't need to pass. The young version of Peterson was the gold standard for nearly a decade. It hasn't been so long that Lynch carried Seattle to a championship! Effectively running the ball is ALWAYS preferable to passing. Now, of course, it is also preferable to have a running back who can catch, but what you must remember that the goal is to get a complete back that can do everything---including being an every down back. Fournette is that back! He can run, block and catch on every down if need be.

Cook can run as good as Fournette, and his great receiving skills overwhelm his lack of pass blocking.

Like I've said for the 100th time I would take Fournette over Cook, but this notion that Cook won't work in Carolina is retarded. I actually think Cook would help Cam more than Fournette.

23 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Cook can run as good as Fournette, and his great receiving skills overwhelm his lack of pass blocking.

Like I've said for the 100th time I would take Fournette over Cook, but this notion that Cook won't work in Carolina is retarded. I actually think Cook would help Cam more than Fournette.

Cook is likely not Carolina material, like it or not. Plus, McCaffrey has just as good of a chance---maybe even better---to have an impact as much as cook.

34 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Peterson has been the gold standard running the ball but his entire career he's been a 2 down player. When he's in the game the defense knows you're running the ball and he's never in on 3rd downs or other obvious passing situations because he can't catch or block to save his life. That's what I love about Fournette as a prospect. Probably won't be quite as elite as Peterson as a pure runner but he'll be a 3 down back from the start, with the ability to pass protect and to catch out of the backfield (though the latter does need some more work). No he's not a Le'Veon Bell or David Johnson in the receiving game, but he'll be effective enough there to stay on the field on 3rd downs. If we want to go offense in round 1, Fournette is the only option in my opinion. If he's gone it better be S or DE.

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Cook is likely not Carolina material, like it or not. Plus, McCaffrey has just as good of a chance---maybe even better---to have an impact as much as cook.

According to you? Mccaffrey? LMAO. He's not even top 3

Know I might root even harder for the panthers to draft Cook, just to throw this in your face. This archaic way of thinking is what results in never having back to back winning seasons.

Archived